Ivan Cleary on Fox next

The best thing he said was being realistic about the roster.

Every pundit and bookie in the world pretty much had us in the bottom 2 at the start of the year and that was for a reason.

We have to play really well just to win a game. It takes a lot of juice out of us.

I dont think it is attitude or mentality. I think its simple that we have to work harder to win games then most other clubs.

Improve the roster and more results will come.

@ said:
The best thing he said was being realistic about the roster.

Every pundit and bookie in the world pretty much had us in the bottom 2 at the start of the year and that was for a reason.

We have to play really well just to win a game. It takes a lot of juice out of us.

I dont think it is attitude or mentality. I think its simple that we have to work harder to win games then most other clubs.

Improve the roster and more results will come.

yeah I think most of us here were just hoping to see more fight out of the side than we have had in the past, which has happened for the most part this year. Defensively, bar two 40 minutes halves, it's been night and day with the change.

I guess not real surprising it takes a bit for this roster to win and I guess they've used up a bit of juice throughout the year staying competitive.

Hope we can see some new signings though after this season has finished so we can be a lot more consistent next year.

Realistic about the roster?

We would have at least 5 players on 500k + per year.

We have to spend 95% of the cap to be compliant.

This means that we have around 450k on top of savings from players not re-signed to overhaul the roster. What sort of player can be signed?

If the roster we have is taking up the cap either some players are on massive overs or players are not playing up to their contract value

@ said:

This means that we have around 450k on top of savings from players not re-signed to overhaul the roster. What sort of player can be signed?

If the roster we have is taking up the cap either some players are on massive overs or players are not playing up to their contract value

Or we have front loaded some contracts :wink:

Roster issue is medical more than anything else, players we have recently signed in 2017, have long term health issues that effect their ability to perform at expected levels for a NRL player- McQueen (neck), Matulino (knee), Reynolds (shoulder & hammy). On top of problems fielding our supposed top strength team, with a injury prone hooker, Liddle going down too often, when the players are on the field, we seem to be the king of HIA effects. Yes, WT are improving and kudos to Cleary, his coaching team and the players, but how are the problems outlined above to b resolved? Surely we cannot have such a drain on the roster and the purse continue. What possible solutions do the club foresee?

@ said:

Probably True

The place was a complete basket case in the off season of 2016 and early 2017 so no surprise.

Thats what happened when the place is so unattractive. You have to pay overs just to get in average players.

Latest posts

Back