OFFICIAL Jarome Luai - #295

I'm not against us signing Luai, he's a smart and creative player but he's also very cocky and he's not a leader. We went through 10 years of poor leadership with Luke. I'm happy with our halves for next year. At the very least we'll see if Benji's ideas and thinking works.
 
I agree with you. However the question is, is he a leader? Because we need one.
I think it comes down more to attitude than ability. Phil Gould (who is controversial but one of the best minds in the game) said during juniors that Luai was the more talented out of him and Cleary. Hard work is the difference between the two. Cleary stays back after training all the time and researches the game more than most. Luai has taken it easy the past few seasons. He was an absolute gun in 2020 and had one of the better starting debuts I've seen from a player in the NRL. He's kind of dissipated as others have got better at Penrith. I don't see him magically getting back to his best with the role he currently plays
 
  • Like
Reactions: BZN
Benji has come out and all but said it’s not happening, we’ve bought our halves for next season and he will be working to develop them and lift the team next year. Don’t know about 2025, but I honestly can’t see Luai coming next season, if at all. It’s a shame as I would’ve liked to see him come here, but sadly I think it‘s just all media speculation stoking the fires once again. And who knows one or both of Fainu or Sullivan might end up being better than Luai in the long run anyway - gotta give them a chance!
He actually hasn't said that at all. All he said was that he wouldn't talk about prospective signings in the media and that he's focusing on the players currently at the club. A very normal and rational statement.
 
Interesting that he gets glorified as a coach for being controlled in the dressing room - easy to do when you have a star team - but then publically throws doubt about the ability of one his players simply because he is on the radar of other clubs. I'll take the passionate ranting coach in the shed but backs his players in public every day of the week.
I recall him making some very derogatory comments about Luke Garner after a game early on in the season that I thought were a bit harsh at the time.

Maybe his thoughts and observations at the time were correct but I thought it was pretty poor form to air it publicly.
 
I disagree with Gould. I believe Clearly is more talented.
At their early ages no. Now definitely. But a lot of that is because Nathan has played over 50 games more than Luai and as the lead playmaker. More coaches/mentors/advisors have put effort into Cleary and he also has the media supporting him. Luai has the opposite especially with the way NSW fans go against him. People tend to forget Luai has already won 3 premierships with 4 grand finals as a half and has only played 100 games. To put that in perspective, he's averaged 25 games per grand final appearance. He won't have a more prolific successful period in his career, but individually he will get better with age. Most quality halves do
 

Latest posts

Staff online

Back
Top