Jury Duty

Got called up about 10ish years ago for a kiddy fiddler case. Mum hated the Dad and resulted in the charges. Really hard to determine what happened but we all (except 1) believed the kid and that was that. Took a week and a half to get a minority 11-1 verdict and the final people only changed their mind because it was Friday afternoon and they didn't want to come back.

My cousin called up this week at a South Coast court. He said the people waiting outside looked like they had just had haircut, were smoking and wearing Uncle Bill's suit from 1948.

My ex-wife got called up for a medical malpractice case. The irony was that the Doctor in question had treated her years before and it had been a very unpleasant experience. The Doctor had treated thousands of women over the years so it wasn't as though she was going to stand out. Lets just say that a guilty verdict was always going to be the outcome. I had told her to let the court know that she'd had personal experience with the defendant. She kept saying it was karma.

As it turned out she became very adept at using the court system (as my bank balance found out!)

I am currently on the roll (Nov 22 to Oct 23).
Previously I have had my employer write a letter, but apparently they are quite strict now, so I didn't bother this time. Regretting not trying now.
First case: text the day before: postponed. Another text on the "new" day before: postponed. Next day text: cancelled
Second case: I went in. They said trial is for 3 weeks. I said that's too long - I have stuff on. I was excused.
Third case: text the day before: postponed. Another text on the "new" day before: cancelled.

Now I wait.....

Annoying really. I have a ticket to SOO 2 in Brissy, but can't book my flight until I know I'm clear.

• Sad
Reactions: BZN
I am currently on the roll (Nov 22 to Oct 23).
Previously I have had my employer write a letter, but apparently they are quite strict now, so I didn't bother this time. Regretting not trying now.
First case: text the day before: postponed. Another text on the "new" day before: postponed. Next day text: cancelled
Second case: I went in. They said trial is for 3 weeks. I said that's too long - I have stuff on. I was excused.
Third case: text the day before: postponed. Another text on the "new" day before: cancelled.

Now I wait.....

Annoying really. I have a ticket to SOO 2 in Brissy, but can't book my flight until I know I'm clear.
They said to me I can advise of two 2 week periods that Im not available ...I had to enable SMS notifications and update email on their website...maybe you can still put in that date?

Turn up in a Jack Daniels t shirt or anything Nazi.
yep .. the t-shirt trick works a treat .. another t-shirt that will get you off the list in a heart beat is .. Make America Great Again" .. Trump's MAGA hat .. !! or anything that states you support firearms .. aka a mad keen hunter .. ;-)

They said to me I can advise of two 2 week periods that Im not available ...I had to enable SMS notifications and update email on their website...maybe you can still put in that date?
I did my first over the Christmas break to enjoy a holiday in Sydney and apparently my "too long" turned into my second. I couldn't find the option to blank out a second lot of 2 weeks, so assume that was it :(

Was called up again earlier this year at the criminal court. When reporting in I was asked if I would be available for an 8 week plus case which I said - no - and so they categorize you into different groups. After three hours and one jury selection process was free to go.
Noticed plenty of seniors quite open to being selected on the perceived longer trials. Can confidently say have had my experience and happy to let others have theirs.

Got called up about 10ish years ago for a kiddy fiddler case. Mum hated the Dad and resulted in the charges. Really hard to determine what happened but we all (except 1) believed the kid and that was that. Took a week and a half to get a minority 11-1 verdict and the final people only changed their mind because it was Friday afternoon and they didn't want to come back.
Sounds like Jack Wardon from 12 Angry men, wanted to go to the ball game.

I've been called up twice in the last ten years. The first time I got out of it because it's more than 60km from home, the next time it was cancelled. Hubby got called up this year, and was going to go, but got the text the day before. Now he's on the roll for the next 12 months.

Reactions: BZN
I think if you are employed to a government organisation, they cover your salary for up to 1 week or so of Jury duty

dobbed myself in for not voting for 32 years,only kick back 6mths later ,on the jury list

I spent 10 and a half months on jury duty at Penriths No. 1 court concerning the motor cycle riots at Bathurst easter 1985 which involved 12 defendants.
Back then when you first arrive for selection of the panel, people with excuses for not being able to sit on panel, go before the judge first. Their excuses are read out in front of everyone and you were not informed that this was going to happen beforehand. Some of the excuses were hilarious whilst some were plainly embarrassing.
I worked for the NSW government so there was no issues and being a long case we ate at restaurants for lunch. There were lots of hours when you stayed in the room whilst the Judge had to sort out legal issues.

Latest posts

Members online

Back