Justin Matamua #259

This is all part of his education and part of the Tim Sheens development plan/style.

Remember Farah, Benji, Gibbs & Fulton all debuted in 2003 with 3-4 games (mostly losses), a few more in 2004 before 2005.

So we've debuted Junior Tupou, Fonua Pole, Justin Matamua so far (Jake Simpkin similar vain from last season). I'd expect Brandon Tumeth to debut soon as well probably once he is signed up. And it wouldn't surprise me if another out of Jahream Bula, Trey Peni, Henry O'Kane, Sione Fainu & Christian Mainama also get 1-2 games in the final rounds.
finally our young players get a chance, definitely a positive sign, thanks to our new coaches(y)🐅

If you don't try them you will never know, must be a young half somewhere

No where near it
- at the moment, it feels we’re playing these kids for the sake of playing these kids…
he’s enthusiastic out there - but he’s rudderless. This kid was playing sg ball a few weeks back - put him back to 20’s with his mates, give him a few games in cup and a full pre season with the top squad.
Everyone wants to give the kids a shot - no one will admit it can also do them more harm than good
how does playing them a few games in first grade do them harm ?

He should never have been played in a position he's not used to. He had a shocker on the edge in NSW cup, and then was a different player when moved to lock.

If you're going to play a player to blood him for next year, at least play him in his natural position.

No doubt he cost us the game yesterday, but both clangers where he was in uncomfortable position where he doesn't normally play which totally could have been avoided.
u really wanna win those pointless games dont u ?
finishing the season strong means nothing when most that side wont be there next year

Matamua made a few errors. How about Brooks conceding a penalty on a lazy high tackle on fifth tackle? How about the many defensive lapses from James tamou? How about the inconsistent kicking game of doueihi? How about the ineffective running of Zane Musgrove? And you want to dump the 2 game rookie for some penalties? Ridiculous.

I've liked the way he responds when he makes these errors. He obviously cares. That attitude is refreshing and more experienced players could learn from it.

My thoughts. Was used terribly by putting him on late and on the edge for Tulagi. Should be used off the bench around the half time period so he gets an extra break in between shifts. No point having him come in late in the game when it’s in the balance and then criticising him for errors. Hopefully he’ll learn a few things from some decisions be made in that game and the Parra one. Long term though I think he should be a Prop. long term pairing i feel is Steff and Pole but Matamua can be a point of difference with his ball playing.
I’m expecting our long term lock to be Rua or Kit Laulili

I wonder how much game time this kid is going to get this year.
It's really hard to guage his short and sweet introduction to the NRL thus far.
He certainly is determined and has a reasonable build.
He's a good kid and I hope he is one of many to come through the ranks and make it at the WT.
My understanding is he’s currently on a development contact and can’t play until after R10.
Unless he gets promoted to one of the three remaining top 30 spots or someone else in the top 30 moves on.
I wouldn’t throw him straight into a starting lock position. When he gets his chance he could come of the bench and play both edge and middle for a period. To me he looks like a future NRL level lock. Hopefully he develops nicely under Sheens, Benji, Robbie & Furner.

My understanding is he’s currently on a development contact and can’t play until after R10.
Unless he gets promoted to one of the three remaining top 30 spots or someone else in the top 30 moves on.
I wouldn’t throw him straight into a starting lock position. When he gets his chance he could come of the bench and play both edge and middle for a period. To me he looks like a future NRL level lock. Hopefully he develops nicely under Sheens, Benji, Robbie & Furner.
Your spot on mate, Sheens has a big wrap on the kid so if there's a chance I think he'll be given further opportunities.
It's a good system, do you agree?

With every page Matamua gets better

He will be Dally M Rookie of the Year by page 13
Eh it's just of any player he looks like a lock the most. I know he only played 2-3 games but think hel go ok there in a year or two.

Offa shouldn't be lock

Latest posts

Staff online

Back