Justin Olam #281

It's a relatively new pathway. With the 18th team
touted to come from Papua you'd think there
will be plenty more that will come through...
Does more for the WT brand being popular over
there than providing a pathway for players ATM
Not that new, they've been in the QLD Cup for over a decade and only produced Olam. I don't see the appeal in having a strong brand in PNG.

Reactions: BZN
Also if we do have Olam and Ngutlik at the club it would probably make us the most attractive club in the NRL to get PNG players at the club
What the hells happened to Jimmy Ngutlik ? Last I seen was him playing was in the World Cup in the UK and he was very quick . We need speed

Just think we hold out for the right centre to come along. Not $600,000 for 3 years, on a hope and a prayer that he’ll come good.
We have talent coming through we got large in a few years there’s a player in large’s team that good coming through. I reckon Galvin a shot for there as well. Don’t panic buy a burnt out 30 year old for 3 years!
Wait fir the right age, right skill level. We have already got a gamble on Luai becoming a 7!

It's been mentioned a few times his salary will
be subsidised for the first few years. He was
only re-signed by storm for 4 years in mid-2023.
it's bold to take a conservative approach and
miss out, you must be happy with out current
centre pairing? You mentioned Galvin - there's
no guarantee he will play there and he's not close
to being NRL ready. No gamble with Luai, he
can play 6 or 7, his position is interchangeable
but remains equal in value and importance

Not that new, they've been in the QLD Cup for over a decade and only produced Olam. I don't see the appeal in having a strong brand in PNG.

Good points. PNG Hunters are currently the only
club in the QLD comp who are without an NRL
affiliation, could have a bit to do with that...

I dunno, strong brand appeal translates well
on financial spreadsheets. There will be a much
larger audience too when they get the 18th license.
I hear what you're saying though short-term wise.

It's been mentioned a few times his salary will
be subsidised for the first few years. He was
only re-signed by storm for 4 years in mid-2023.
I can’t stop thinking about this. Ponissi and Bellamy aren’t idiots, they must’ve been convinced Olam’s body was going to hold up well into his 30s.

ties in with these whispers that player and club are no longer on good terms due to an issue with Juzzie’s rehab.

I can’t stop thinking about this. Ponissi and Bellamy aren’t idiots, they must’ve been convinced Olam’s body was going to hold up well into his 30s.

ties in with these whispers that player and club are no longer on good terms due to an issue with Juzzie’s rehab.

That's what I think it is bro. Happens all the time
with injured athletes, and they rushed him back
too early as well. This shit about him getting
hit in a big tackle & never looking the same is
all sensationalist bullshit. Get the deal done lol

That's what I think it is bro. Happens all the time
with injured athletes, and they rushed him back
too early as well. This shit about him getting
hit in a big tackle & never looking the same is
all sensationalist bullshit. Get the deal done lol
yeah there’s no way a bloke as resilient and bulletproof as Olam was knocked around by a hit from Haumole. how ridiculous. he’ll be a welcome addition for 2024, my only concern is longevity.

Thing is. If we are wanting to get rid of Olam early it is because he is not performing. And if he is not performing, local or not, why would a new side want him?
Good question
Hopefully he will at least be playing at a standard to interest PNG in their first year.

Just think we hold out for the right centre to come along. Not $600,000 for 3 years, on a hope and a prayer that he’ll come good.
We have talent coming through we got large in a few years there’s a player in large’s team that good coming through. I reckon Galvin a shot for there as well. Don’t panic buy a burnt out 30 year old for 3 years!
Wait fir the right age, right skill level. We have already got a gamble on Luai becoming a 7!
How many times do you want to lie? We won't be paying anywhere near $600k a year for 3 years

Now with Richo at the helm I'm happy to run with what the Club decides on this one.

As well as trying to set us up and re calibrate our squad Richo also said he is trying to make changes to get us to a point of winning more games next season.
If he thinks a Blore for Olam swap gives us a better short term success and potentially even a mid to longer term chance of success he will do it.
But its not only him its Benji Morris and others in the brainstrust this would have been tossed around with as well. This swap was shelved before Richo got here also whether that was due to Luai or Melb being difficult or many other things its now back on the table and better footy brains than were previously at the club are happy to move on it. I think to a certain extent most of us have come accustomed to our club doing idiotic things, the HBG have albeit a bit reactively dealt with it. So you're right is what i was getting at in my rather long winded way.

yeah there’s no way a bloke as resilient and bulletproof as Olam was knocked around by a hit from Haumole. how ridiculous. he’ll be a welcome addition for 2024, my only concern is longevity.

I hope your right, but I wouldn't say no way. IMO Fijians and PNG players can lose confidence when hit the way they hit others.

I can't remember who hit Sivo, but I remember he got hammered once and he has been a shadow of himself since.

I'm really hoping that Olam had a back issue and got pissed when his rehab didn't go as he wanted. If that is the case, we may land on our feet with a fit and fresh Justin. I'm doubtful though.

How many times do you want to lie? We won't be paying anywhere near $600k a year for 3 years
How’s it lying champ, that’s the money he’s on. Even if the drizzle pay some money they are saying not l, for the 3rd year! A 30 year old, one trick pony. Who doesn’t even have that trick anymore. Yet at 33 years old, your Happy to pay him $600,000???
For a burnt out has been, that was never that great, just good in a great team. All the players now in front of him at the drizzle I don’t want either.
U reckon I am lying, stop lying to your self!

Back