Justin Olam #281

We probably don’t have one. But at the same time, we didn’t have a better centre than Leilua when we signed him.

That it true but you can't use the excuse that it didn't work with a different veteran so it won't work with another so let's not try,it quite possibly will work with Olam

That it true but you can't use the excuse that it didn't work with a different veteran so it won't work with another so let's not try,it quite possibly will work with Olam
You have to look at the red flags though. This wouldn’t be a like a giant coup that we snapped a player up from under Bellamy’s nose. His form fell off a cliff. Why?

You have to look at the red flags though. This wouldn’t be a like a giant coup that we snapped a player up from under Bellamy’s nose. His form fell off a cliff. Why?
Some people on here have stated issues with the coaching staff plus he has had an injury that affected his performance.He is still the best centre that we could potentialy have in many years and we definately need experience in our backline.It is a risk but not as much as BJ was as Olam does not have disciplinary issues and reportedly Storm with be paying part of his contract for 2 years

Think peeps are being a little unfair comparing Olam to BJ. Very different personalities.

I think Olam is the type who will appreciate the opportunity to get his career moving forward again - injuries aside, he could be a great pickup. Can see him buying into what Benji is building.

BJ was at a number of clubs and always seemed to be a difficult personality to deal with.
I agree people are being unfair to Olam, even if I don't want him here.
People are in my opinion being equally unfair to Blore by suggesting he has "shown nothing".
Was the best offloaded in the nrl last year (on a per run basis). Doesn't make to many errors showing his offloads are selective and effective. Makes respectable metres per carry showing he takes the collision before offloading not just run to the line and turn around.
Has a respectable tackle efficiency and looks to enjoy the physical part of the game.
If that is showing nothing I'd like to see what showing something is.

Some people on here have stated issues with the coaching staff plus he has had an injury that affected his performance.He is still the best centre that we could potentialy have in many years and we definately need experience in our backline.It is a risk but not as much as BJ was as Olam does not have disciplinary issues and reportedly Storm with be paying part of his contract for 2 years
It’s interesting that it seems that both Olam and Noffa are having the same issue, yet opinions on each player are a complete 180.

There is no one else … now …

That could change next month … or it might not … it’s a risk if you sign him and a risk if you dont … his form was waning last year … it’s not a given to say that will reverse …

Olam comes with a negative … a three year commitment for a player who might have peaked already
Even past his peak he's better than anyone we have by a large margin

It’s interesting that it seems that both Olam and Noffa are having the same issue, yet opinions on each player are a complete 180.

My response to that is in my opinion both of them probably need a new club to reignite their interest in football.Changing clubs can ofter produce a large change in attitude

I think someone has already mentioned the PNG franchise possibly coming into the comp in 2025/26, if that’s the case then Olam may be a target that would reduce the suggested 3 years with the tigers. All hypotheticals.
Thing is. If we are wanting to get rid of Olam early it is because he is not performing. And if he is not performing, local or not, why would a new side want him?

There's also the cap strain they're under too...
When someone asks "why are Melbourne so
happy to let him go" I'm going to refer them to
this post. It's annoying when folks don't read
other peoples' posts, the answers are usually
right there, albeit hidden a few pages back... You
can tell who reads peoples' posts and who posts
for the hell of it. Gets a bit tiresome when guys
regurgitate the same talking points over again.
This isn't a shot at you GNR just noting in general

Also if we do have Olam and Ngutlik at the club it would probably make us the most attractive club in the NRL to get PNG players at the club
Doubtful. Players will go where the best path to first grade, most money or most success is, as they always have.

I think Tino chose to go rather than Storm let him go. Can't force someone to stay just because you don't want to lose them.
Same as my recollection. It actually felt similar to the Jarome signing. Offers from both clubs were too big a difference plus he’s from QLD too

If he repeats what he did to Sam Walker at WT he'll get 10 weeks. And the commentators won't tout it as a great hit, but a "shocking shoulder charge".
So the commentators have it in for us as well? God damn

Just think we hold out for the right centre to come along. Not $600,000 for 3 years, on a hope and a prayer that he’ll come good.
We have talent coming through we got large in a few years there’s a player in large’s team that good coming through. I reckon Galvin a shot for there as well. Don’t panic buy a burnt out 30 year old for 3 years!
Wait fir the right age, right skill level. We have already got a gamble on Luai becoming a 7!

Like who? Outside of Olam who else has come through the PNG pathway?

It's a relatively new pathway. With the 18th team
touted to come from Papua you'd think there
will be plenty more that will come through...
Does more for the WT brand being popular over
there than providing a pathway for players ATM

Latest posts

Staff online

Back