Knights fan here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I come in peace guys, not trying to stir anything. Just wanted to see if you guys had any word on the Brooks situation and Klemmer? Rumours are red hot amongst our fans but facts are hard to come by! Do you think Brooks would go better in a different club environment? Do you think Klemmer is a fair trade?

Here's hoping we can both enjoy some success in 2023.
No word of lie, taking his exorbitant salary since day 1 into account, he is the worst player I’ve ever seen.

I come in peace guys, not trying to stir anything. Just wanted to see if you guys had any word on the Brooks situation and Klemmer? Rumours are red hot amongst our fans but facts are hard to come by! Do you think Brooks would go better in a different club environment? Do you think Klemmer is a fair trade?

Re Brooks - have you not heard Joey Johns' positive comments?
Re Klemmer, it's actualluy all up to the Knights.

Hey Tom,

The WTF is full of comedians especially after a difficult year

Now for some "Mature" Perspective, namely my opinion...

Brooks is a very Fast, Skilful, Talented player and come across a a top bloke. I respect him greatly.

In any other club that has a better players around him, a better culture and some stability, I think he would have been had a great career.

Its time for a change for both parties IMO.

Hey Tom,

The WTF is full of comedians especially after a difficult year

Now for some "Mature" Perspective, namely my opinion...

Brooks is a very Fast, Skilful, Talented player and come across a a top bloke. I respect him greatly.

In any other club that has a better players around him, a better culture and some stability, I think he would have been had a great career.

Its time for a change for both parties IMO.

You could sell ice to eskimos you slick sales bastard. Wolf of WTF here boys.

Brooks was gun under Cleary
I hope he goes and goes well at a new club , but I think Sheens knows what he can do and wants to try and get it out of him. , Having quality packs would help and if we get Klemmer and Pappi and Steph and Blore on the field that’s far better than previous 10 years

I will say this about Brooks if his salary was not reportedly obscene i dont think he'd have as much hate as he does on here i think that plays a huge part in all this. Having said that he is not an organizing half id personally say he's a 6 he constantly takes the wrong options and cant manage a game hence the reason finals football and Brooks dont mix.
I think he needs a new fresh environment he's been the next big thing for close to 10 yrs and as a local junior that pressure has seen him go to water.
If he was say a $750 and under player i think he'd do ok but he would need less pressure which im not sure he's going to get long term in a one club city like Newcastle.
Its been said the Klemmer thing is not dependent on Brooks from our end but then theres been media that there was something in the works. I'd say all in all both Klemmer and Brooks need new pastures, i think it could be mutually beneficial for both clubs.

Reactions: 851
I will say this about Brooks if his salary was not reportedly obscene i dont think he'd have as much hate as he does on here i think that plays a huge part in all this. Having said that he is not an organizing half id personally say he's a 6 he constantly takes the wrong options and cant manage a game hence the reason finals football and Brooks dont mix.
I think he needs a new fresh environment he's been the next big thing for close to 10 yrs and as a local junior that pressure has seen him go to water.
If he was say a $750 and under player i think he'd do ok but he would need less pressure which im not sure he's going to get long term in a one club city like Newcastle.
Its been said the Klemmer thing is not dependent on Brooks from our end but then theres been media that there was something in the works. I'd say all in all both Klemmer and Brooks need new pastures, i think it could be mutually beneficial for both clubs.
Funny thing is that I can’t see how having him at half helps Ponga moving to five eighth.
Hastings on the other hand….
Maybe they’re just playing games with us.

What is a blight on the NRL, as a whole, is the fact the it's players from the bottom teams that are switching places; which is unlikely to result in a great improvement in either team. Meanwhile, the Roosters have announced the resigning of Crighton, after freeing up their salary cap. I don't remember them losing any internationals recently, but I for one am glad that they got it sorted, so riff raff, like the Tigers, never have a chance of signing good players and improving.

Brooks is decent but until he learns to control a game and improve his short kicking game and pass choices he won't be in the finals.

Funny thing is that I can’t see how having him at half helps Ponga moving to five eighth.
Hastings on the other hand….
Maybe they’re just playing games with us.

It might work though. Ponga is the go to guy as well. Brooks can be the second play maker and he might do this role well.

That’s a novel idea, I wonder if it works with the other players.
So we cut their pay and they’ll perform better ? 🤣

Hey OP. My opinion is that the middle-of-road argument is that Brooks is a decent half, probably not a good one.

He could probably do a good job within a narrow requirement, a la Chad Townsend, though he's less organising and more of a running threat than The Chad.

Left-foot kicking, decent range on his boot, can pass off both sides, pretty fast off the mark, can defend pretty well 1-1 (esp. for a half) - all fundamentally strong components of a modern half.

HOWEVER he's obviously used to failure, never been in a winning culture and usually cannot be relied upon in big-game moments. He has next to no experience with winning under pressure, or winning games despite the team not playing at their best. His decision-making is iffy. His short kicking is quite average and he's not a goal kicker either.

It therefore becomes very chicken-egg whether Brooks would do better in a better side, or whether Tigers are not a better side because they continue to field Brooks.

Personally I think he'd do great in a Melbourne Storm type outfit - a good stable club in need of a first-grade quality halfback. I think he would continue to struggle if moving to a club that needs him to organise much of the attack and contribute substantial try assists.

So I think a move to the Knights would be more of the same. Maybe Brooks would find another level in a new system, but IMO after so many seasons we've really all seen the overall capacity of Brooks.

I also think Brooks would be replacing a guy (Clifford) who himself was talented but unreliable, and it would not only be more of the same for Brooks, but more of the same for Newcastle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back