Lachlan Galvin #277

Wally Lewis was around the 6 foot mark, and played around mid 90 kgs. Not comparable to a kid at 6'4" tall, I don't think you thought this through all that much.
At the time, Wally was the same size as your average 13 or second row. Same size as Wayne Pearce, bigger than Trevor Gillmeister. He wasn't that fast or a great lateral mover. I don't think you've thought about this at all. Just because the kid doesn't fit your "type" you think he should be pigeonholed into a position that does. According to your standardised metrics Billy Slater should have been a half, Mal Meninga a second rower, probably even Nathan Cleary an outside back.

At the time, Wally was the same size as your average 13 or second row. Same size as Wayne Pearce, bigger than Trevor Gillmeister. He wasn't that fast or a great lateral mover. I don't think you've thought about this at all. Just because the kid doesn't fit your "type" you think he should be pigeonholed into a position that does. According to your standardised metrics Billy Slater should have been a half, Mal Meninga a second rower, probably even Nathan Cleary an outside back.
My type? I haven't said anything about what "my type" of anything is, nor have I put forward any "standardised metrics". I haven't even given an opinion on the matter. I just pointed out that Wally Lewis is possibly not the best example in your analogy.

1703920545151.png

My type? I haven't said anything about what "my type" of anything is, nor have I put forward any "standardised metrics". I haven't even given an opinion on the matter. I just pointed out that Wally Lewis is possibly not the best example in your analogy.

View attachment 9170
Sorry if I've offended you mate, I was just trying to point out that players of all shapes and sizes, particularly these days, can fit in anywhere if they're good enough. I'm not sure about Galvin but he's a talented footballer and it wouldn't surprise me if he did end up a 6'4" number 7.

Sorry if I've offended you mate, I was just trying to point out that players of all shapes and sizes, particularly these days, can fit in anywhere if they're good enough. I'm not sure about Galvin but he's a talented footballer and it wouldn't surprise me if he did end up a 6'4" number 7.
Not offended at all, just pointing out you were attributing to me, claims I hadn't made. It's all good though. I haven't seen enough of Galvin to comment, and if you are right it would make things interesting, especially if we sign Luai. I agree with the sentiment that bigger players will often find their way into the pack eventually, regardless of skill level. But as you have pointed out, there are always exceptions.

Nah he’s a 6 ! Anyone saying any different doesn’t know anything . Just ask sticky ! Must be a bum coach to play him in the backrow……lol
Yeah nah!!

He's a positional prospect who is yet to physically mature to indicate what he'll be when playing against men...

Fainu has already proven that he can physically compete above age group level - while Galvin's schoolboys highlights are encouraging - that bombed try from showboating in the Schoolboy Cup final was UNFORGIVEABLE - and proves that he is not only physically immature - but mentally as well!

The coach did think enough of him to pick him out of position though - which is a big wrap under the circumstances!

Last edited:
Not offended at all, just pointing out you were attributing to me, claims I hadn't made. It's all good though. I haven't seen enough of Galvin to comment, and if you are right it would make things interesting, especially if we sign Luai. I agree with the sentiment that bigger players will often find their way into the pack eventually, regardless of skill level. But as you have pointed out, there are always exceptions.
As Roy & HG often say “a good bigger man will alway beat a good smaller man“.

Galvin reminds me of a young Ryan Matterson. He was a pretty dominant 6 until the end of 20s. I think he could be an exceptional ball playing/link 13 once he fully matures in the Yeo mould. I honestly believe Large will develop into the best of the Fainu/Galvin/Large trio. Quicker, better ball player and better kicker already than the others with excellent defence.

Great to hear Richo today describe Galvin in these terms… “he is going to be a superstar”… and also mentioned he is signed for 3 years …

I wonder how long media stories will persist that the Tigers have “ too many halves” and that rumours are that Galvin is being linked to Manly… ( rumours started by The Mole)…

Great to hear Richo today describe Galvin in these terms… “he is going to be a superstar”… and also mentioned he is signed for 3 years …

I wonder how long media stories will persist that the Tigers have “ too many halves” and that rumours are that Galvin is being linked to Manly… ( rumours started by The Mole)…
I think they’re going to prioritise Galvin over all of them. the most decorated Schoolboy in the country happens to be a local junior.

I also think it’s telling that Richo names Galvin first as a future superstar and says of that I have no doubt, then says Fainu will be a superstar and finally says Sullivan is a “good player”. makes me wonder whether Galvin or Fainu may be partnering Sezer at the scrumbase come Round 2…

I think they’re going to prioritise Galvin over all of them. the most decorated Schoolboy in the country happens to be a local junior.

I also think it’s telling that Richo names Galvin first as a future superstar and says of that I have no doubt, then says Fainu will be a superstar and finally says Sullivan is a “good player”. makes me wonder whether Galvin or Fainu may be partnering Sezer at the scrumbase come Round 2…

I think Sullivan will get his chance early in the season… personally I don’t really care that much about Sezer … we know he is not here next year and he isn’t going to be moving the needle much this year …

Lets give the young 3 some opportunities this year

I think we are reading into it too much. The interviewers themselves touched on Sullivan as a known quantity and asked to elaborate on the other two.
That said you are correct.
I’ve had in my head that Galvin is a backrower with a skill set good enough to play in the halves; having not much a chance to watch him since his Harold Matts games.
On YouTube you can watch the full games of Westfield in the GIO cup. After watching him in a few. And it’s not hard to miss him as he wants to be involved in everything you see there is a genuine halfback in the kid that can become a superstar. Despite the fact he is 190cm’s tall and a lean 85kg frame. The kid is a game manager and a ball player

I didn’t despise Pascoe like most of our supporters did, but how good is Richo, he just oozes positivity and commands respect.

I think the Luai saga showed us it might be time for us to stop playing the victim regards to the media. As long as it dragged on, there were no destabilising articles, no suggestions we were conducting the negotiations like amateurs. They knew that we were on top of it. Now that we have someone like Richo, I expect we will command a lot more respect. We’re coming off Pascoe and Lee for Christ’s sake. Of course we were targets.

I think the Luai saga showed us it might be time for us to stop playing the victim regards to the media. As long as it dragged on, there were no destabilising articles, no suggestions we were conducting the negotiations like amateurs. They knew that we were on top of it. Now that we have someone like Richo, I expect we will command a lot more respect. We’re coming off Pascoe and Lee for Christ’s sake. Of course we were targets.

This is a fair comment …

Maybe the term “playing the victim” is a little harsh …as there is a history of the media piling on and they have been a much harder marker on the Tigers then other teams..

But also you are correct that in the Richo era… a change to the fans mindset about the media is also required … I agree that Richo will be treated with a lot more respect than his predecessors

Latest posts

Back