Lawrence tipped to shine

@westTAHger said:
If I remember correctly Chris Lawrence has filled in at 5/8 before.
benji injured his shoulder against storm when wests-tigers played them at blue tongue stadium, on a sat night in 2007.
chris came on filled in at 5/8 and scored at least one try.
it will be interesting to see how this combo plays out.
give him a chance.

He scored two…one an absolute blinder solo effort beating about 6 players in a 24m run to the line

His lateral footwork is very good and combined with his acceleration off the mark, I wouldnt be surprised to see him break the line a few times

Tipping anyone to shine in their first, and probably only, game in a new position is not only ridiculous but pointless.

Odd how the article mentions that the move has been "on the cards" for a while, as it was on the cards back when Benji becoming the next Thurston, i.e. a halfback, was on the cards. Given Benji absolutely freaks out when he is anything but 6 and the move to 7 was an unequivocal failure, the experimentation is surprising (if not unexpected).

Even so, I hope Lawrence has a blinder.

Lawrence at 6 could work if he had a genuine halfback insie him and maybe a fullback that could ball play a bit. But i think Sheens is putting way too much pressure on him moving him to 6 with Benji at 7 and McKinnon at 1\. I wonder if Chris will get into first reciever when needed to push Benji out wider? I wonder if he can go to the line and hit the right hole runner? Can he help with our kicking game? The kid is an explosive ballrunner who has a nice slight of hand which enables him to put his winger away, that does not mean he's a 5/8\. Certainly not the type of 5/8 we need.
\
\
He's more than capable of getting MOM tonight, but that doesnt mean he's a 5/8\. He carved Melb up playing at 6, but he didnt really play like a 5/8 that night.

Yeh, its one thing coming on from the bench to replace an injured 5/8 at a moments notice….quite another to spend a week working up to a new, pivotal position

Staff online

Members online

Back