League fans blamed for rampage after match

Juro

It seems that even though the bulldogs club has turned its image around, the fans refuse to follow…

**League fans blamed for rampage after match**
Andrew West and Brad Walter | August 26, 2009
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/articles/2009/08/25/1251001901596.html
>
SUPPORTERS of the Bulldogs rugby league team went ''berserk'', vandalising a CityRail train after their team won a match on Monday night, a leaked security report reveals.
>
CityRail has confirmed the train, operating between Olympic Park and Lidcombe stations, was attacked but declined to blame Canterbury supporters directly for the damage.
>
''RailCorp can confirm that on the bump-out from the Bulldogs-Roosters match last night one of its trains was found to be vandalised with a number of windows missing,'' a RailCorp spokesman said yesterday.
>
''The particular train which was vandalised is an older set and not fitted with CCTV. Those responsible for this damage have not been identified.''
>
But an official report from the shift manager's log at the Rail Management Centre identified club supporters as the offenders.
>
It said a RailCorp staff member who had been at the game with his daughter and a friend had boarded the train crowded with supporters leaving Olympic Park. ''The employee reported that they had not been threatened but [he] was concerned for their safety, as the Bulldogs supporters in Car 3981 were going berserk and smashing all the light fittings and kicking out the windows, even though the Bulldogs had won the match by a convincing margin.''
>
A RailCorp source said rail staff had worked hard to contain the melee but were overwhelmed, although no one was injured.
>
The report said that as the train stalled outside Lidcombe station: ''Bulldogs supporters began jumping from the train and on to the tracks.''
>
Fans lit paper fires inside the carriages. The police also received a 000 call about 9.15pm on Monday reporting a fire on a train carrying fans between Belmore and Campsie.
>
The Bulldogs chief executive, Todd Greenberg, said he was unaware of trouble involving club supporters on Monday but promised to investigate. ''We will take the strongest possible stance against anyone who behaves irresponsibly either on the way to the game, at the game or on the way home.''
>
Over the past decade, Bulldog fans have been identified as being involved in riots and damage to trains, especially after matches.
>
RailCorp's spokesman added: ''This issue will be considered in planning security arrangements for this weekend's game between the Bulldogs and the Warriors.''

@innsaneink said:
Bandwagon element, despite what we wanna believe.

Possibly but no matter how good or poor they are going they have a nasty ratbag element of "fans". I actually know a lot of Dogs fans all of whom are perfectly normal law abiding people who are also disgusted by the bad name that part of their support gives them. It's sad but unfortunately true.

I haven't been a Dogs game since 2005 and I don't have any intention of going anytime soon.

In the past I have talked about this a few times on the wests tigers forum, about some of these bulldog supporters. It definately isn't the first time this has happened. I've seen it with my own eyes a few times before. All the ones that I have seen do it are bulldog supporters. The ones that hang around in their gangs. I've seen them bang on the train doors from the inside and outside and bang on the lights acting like they are on drugs (they probably are)and they do it to try to intimidate people. They probably want someone to speak out at them so they can have a fight 10 on 1\. I feel sorry for the majority of Bulldog supporters who behave themselves. They have to be around these imbeciles every week. The Bulldogs used to have a good name untill these animals were around.

You'd think they (the authorities) would learn. As you point out this kind of thing goes on all the time so why not put some more transit cops on the trains coming from Olympic Park.

I don't attend bulldogs matches since 2006 when I was almost involved in an altercation where I was largely outnumbered. They did not care that I was there with my mum, it was purely because we were tigers supporters and they just wanted a fight as they had won by a large amount, I had not even spoken or looked at them. Luckily though there are other decent supporters of their club who stepped in (it helped that they were polynesian).

I feel sorry for the bulldogs, I know some life long passionate supporters and they are ashamed, one of them even feels guilty that he does not want to take his little daughter to the games with him, even though she is also a big dogs fan, because he is afraid what might be said at their games, or what might happen. As a club they have done well to clean up their onfield image, I hope they can come up with a way to stop these elements of their fan base, as it not only benefits them, but also us and the game.

Always a minority that give the majority a bad name, truth is those so called fans don't deserve to have a team they can be proud of this year, the bulldogs have been great on the field.

don't these people realise, that when they damage property, they actually end up paying for it in their taxes.
:brick:

@westTAHger said:
don't these people realise, that when they damage property, they actually end up paying for it in their taxes.

The people that I have seen do this probably don't pay taxes :angry:

@westTAHger said:

Most of them don't pay taxes

Back