Lote back with a whole lotta love

Bazzinator

THE tries are flowing like his famous dreadlocked hair. So are line breaks, possessions, runs and metres gained.
>
Lote Tuqiri is back in rugby league - and doesn't he love it.
>
"Lote is playing like superman," said Tigers legend Benny Elias.
>
The Daily Telegraph can today reveal statistics that show why Wests Tigers winger Tuqiri has regained his mojo in 2010 after leaving rugby, which suffocated his attacking game.
>
Compare his Wests Tigers stats with those he chalked up with the Waratahs in 2009 and you will see why Tuqiri's big smile has reappeared.
>
His tries are up 450 per cent on last year in Super 14, his line breaks have increased 300 per cent this year on last season, his average possessions up 50 per cent, his average runs have risen 89 per cent and his average running metres have increased by 153 per cent. Tuqiri has also played considerably more game time and completed a heap more tackles.
>
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
>
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
>
"I came back to enjoy myself and to get my hands on the footy," Tuqiri said. "The stats don't lie. As a winger, it's not all about scoring tries, but it's a big part. The games [league and union] are totally different - like basketball and netball. Union is about possession and getting down field.
>
"League gives you more chance to get your hands on the ball."
>
Tuqiri was magnificent against North Queensland in Monday night's match at Leichhardt Oval.
>
His involvement, strength and penetration encased his finest performance of 2010.
>
Tuqiri's game is flourishing playing in a side that can be everything from brilliant to exciting to heartbreaking.
>
"Wests Tigers - and how they play the game - were top of the list when I jumped," Tuqiri said.
>
"They ticked all the boxes.
>
"When I made the decision to jump, I thought about playing with Benji, Robbie and some of the young kids and, at the moment, that decision has proved fruitful. I love the footy the Tigers play.
>
"We can be reckless and free which is why I like the Tigers.
>
"Sometimes though that can be to our detriment."
>
Although he played 67 Tests for the Wallabies, Tuqiri stills feels his heart belongs in rugby league.
>
"I grew up in Brisbane. It was and still is the number one game in Queensland," he said.
>
"Everything is rugby league and the Brisbane Broncos.
>
"I grew up playing league in the backyard. But I also watched rugby and really enjoyed my time in union."
>
Elias has loved watching Tuqiri play this season.
>
"He has been sensational," Elias said yesterday .
>
"I am one of his biggest fans. You have no idea how important he is to the Tigers."

Typical Elias jumping on and off the Tigers bandwagon

Without Benny the Tigers (particularly the Balmain of the JV) would not be as strong. Benny is a lot of things, a band wagonner is NOT one of them. Insulting really if you know the money he tipped in.

As Glennb points out Elias has done a ton of stuff for Balmain for a long time. I always see him at the Balmain AGM for one thing. And you want to bag him out for saying some kind words about Lote?

The DT probably rang Benny Elias for the quote (especially as he is the go to man if you want a league quote). What do you want him to do? Refuse to comment?

Fair dinkum…

There was a whole lotta love on Monday night. Probably his best game for the Tigers. And, after being sitting in stunned silence in the first half, the Leichhardt crowd went off. Gotta love that place.

Back