Luke Brooks #167

You only know (Or claim) half the story?

He took unders to fill the club with Nuffies when the others left.
He's on overs now, As compensation for the years he was Unders.

He's square with the house now, And will get decent halves market value (If he goes to Market)
Everyone is forgetting a Dally M winning Half is moving to play centre next year....
Doesn't matter what you think he's worth - He's is going to get paid.
At the Tigers or elsewhere.....

Raiders need a Half, Cows will be looking for an upgrade to replace Chad 'One good year in the last 7' Townsend....
If we don't re-sign Brooks, We'll be left with the Scraps - Or Shuster / Wakeham....
(And you think you know pain now...)
Unfortunately, this is true.
Luke actually holds the aces in the deal.

I've heard that negotiations are still only preliminary but already at a stand still. The club believes Brooks has few options and are thus low balling him. Brooks wants to stay but has an informal offer to go to Canberra for significantly more than Tigers offer.
From A guy in player management office that does not represent brooks
Take it with a grain of salt @gregjm87 especially if your info is only from a management agency. They have a vested interest for the player in question or another player they are trying to navigate into Brooks’ place.

Anyway let’s say Raiders have offered Brooks a better financial deal. Well we offered Moses a better financial deal too. As long as the player is happy with the club, location & terms, that’s all that matters.

‘Lowballing’ … what a crock of s***!

I saw him say that around June/July 22. I agree with him, he has a young family and he didnt get a lot of kudos for helping the Tigers out of their salary cap mess, with Maguire operating on a cap of around $6m, roughly 65% of other teams' caps. Its history now...Maguire got sacked because he couldn't get a reserve grade side into the 8, while Brooks copped abuse for the same plus people took a negative view of him helping out the club with his back ended remuneration.
The bolded part made me sit up and pay attention but I am assuming you are referring to the money that was tied up in Cleary's cap (crap) mismanagement with big dollar long term signings like Mbye, Packer and Reynolds that certainly hampered our ability to sign players during Madge's tenure as coach.

Good on Luke for taking a back ended deal if that is what happened, but I am sure it was structured in a way that still saw him getting all his money over the term of his contract so he shouldn't be complaining about that.

However, you are right in what you say in that Luke should not be getting criticised for what he was getting towards the end of his contract regardless of whether his output or contribution is perceived as justifying the dollars being paid.

There should be more acknowledgement of the fact that he took less money in the earlier part of his contract to help the club when our cap was severely stressed.

Happy to see him stay as a running half for reasonable dollars provided that we can find an organising half to fill the other half spot and if Canberra or anyone else blows us out of the water with an offer then Luke needs to weigh up whether he wants to be a one club player or take the money on offer in what is a relatively short career.

The bolded part made me sit up and pay attention but I am assuming you are referring to the money that was tied up in Cleary's cap (crap) mismanagement with big dollar long term signings like Mbye, Packer and Reynolds that certainly hampered our ability to sign players during Madge's tenure as coach.

Good on Luke for taking a back ended deal if that is what happened, but I am sure it was structured in a way that still saw him getting all his money over the term of his contract so he shouldn't be complaining about that.

However, you are right in what you say in that Luke should not be getting criticised for what he was getting towards the end of his contract regardless of whether his output or contribution is perceived as justifying the dollars being paid.

There should be more acknowledgement of the fact that he took less money in the earlier part of his contract to help the club when our cap was severely stressed.

Happy to see him stay as a running half for reasonable dollars provided that we can find an organising half to fill the other half spot and if Canberra or anyone else blows us out of the water with an offer then Luke needs to weigh up whether he wants to be a one club player or take the money on offer in what is a relatively short career.
You're right, the sacrifice he made in the first 2 years of this 4 year contract should have been better received, particularly by his own fans.

I saw him say that around June/July 22. I agree with him, he has a young family and he didnt get a lot of kudos for helping the Tigers out of their salary cap mess, with Maguire operating on a cap of around $6m, roughly 65% of other teams' caps. Its history now...Maguire got sacked because he couldn't get a reserve grade side into the 8, while Brooks copped abuse for the same plus people took a negative view of him helping out the club with his back ended remuneration.
IMHO, our ex-coach could not do changes that Sheens done in just few months (Pole, Tupou, Bole, Kopaoa, Matamua, James etc.), also To'a is suddenly a world beater!
Are they all "reserve players"??
He preferred mediocre has-beens like Matulino, Packer, Roberts, J Lailua etc. ??
At best, his performance with us is as mediocre as the players selected for HIS team.

You're right, the sacrifice he made in the first 2 years of this 4 year contract should have been better received, particularly by his own fans.
I think youll find that a lot of people didnt want to see him awarded that contract at all, so him still earning very good money wasnt viewed as a sacrifice.

Reactions: 851
IMHO, our ex-coach could not do changes that Sheens done in just few months (Pole, Tupou, Bole, Kopaoa, Matamua, James etc.), also To'a is suddenly a world beater!
Are they all "reserve players"??
He preferred mediocre has-beens like Matulino, Packer, Roberts, J Lailua etc. ??
At best, his performance with us is as mediocre as the players selected for HIS team.
HAHAHA, you honestly think Maguire was solely responsible for the squad?

I think youll find that a lot of people didnt want to see him awarded that contract at all, so him still earning very good money wasnt viewed as a sacrifice.
HAHAHA, according to my estimation..he would have received in his first 2 years the equivalent of what he was paid in his final year. Yes, I'd say that's a sacrifice. A sharp investor could have doubled that $600k by now. 😁

He was awarded the contract at the back end of 2018....
There was literally no one whinging about it - If there was, It wasn't because of Football....
In fact - I'd almost double down and add that the fact Parra won the Spoon, All and Sundry were banging on that we'd kept the right half.

There's been 2 contracts since the big 3 moved on, The one he signed on unders to buy Reynolds, Packer etc. and the one that's finishing now.

It's of no coincidence to me, That he's got a few decent players in the team now and is playing decent football.

At least as Sheens/Marshall/Farah are solely responsible for their team, and he had THREE years!
You just can't wipe out contracts of players that are overpaid and not wanted by other clubs - thanks Ivan. His biggest mistake was J Leilua has to own that one but for the best part of his tenure clearing the Cleary debacle took up the best part of two years.

You just can't wipe out contracts of players that are overpaid and not wanted by other clubs - thanks Ivan. His biggest mistake was J Leilua has to own that one but for the best part of his tenure clearing the Cleary debacle took up the best part of two years.
Cannot disagree, sadly, our ex-coach had the same opportunity - to play Bole, Tupou, James, Matamua etc.
but he hard headily insisted on has-beens! 😢
Our forwards were chronically our biggest problem, and he unreasonably, gambled on has-beens - Roberts and Leilua!
Sheens added Klammer and Bateman, correctly covered our biggest weakness and somehow, they are currently among our best players.😊
The team/club, under our ex-coach was just doom and gloom for too many years!
Now we are exited about Bula, Tupou, Pole, Matamua, James the players we would never hear under our ex-coach!😢

There was literally no one whinging about it - If there was, It wasn't because of Football....
Well that is incorrect.
There was a large group who were sick and tired of him. Yes he had a reasonably good 2018 and fell arse backwards into a dally m award, but that didnt change the fact he was mediocre over his whole time here and we should have leveraged his new 'fame' to get rid of him.
In fact - I'd almost double down and add that the fact Parra won the Spoon, All and Sundry were banging on that we'd kept the right half.
I thought it was more the case of schadenfreude, watching Mitch fail.
He was always the better player of the two.
There's been 2 contracts since the big 3 moved on, The one he signed on unders to buy Reynolds, Packer etc. and the one that's finishing now.
It's of no coincidence to me, That he's got a few decent players in the team now and is playing decent football.
Its contract time again.

Last edited:
HAHAHA, according to my estimation..he would have received in his first 2 years the equivalent of what he was paid in his final year. Yes, I'd say that's a sacrifice. A sharp investor could have doubled that $600k by now. 😁
Luke isnt the sharp type mate...

Depends if his investment performance was the same as his playing performance !

Nice revisionist history there. He was signed on dumb money by the numpties at HQ as a knee jerk reaction after the other 3 of the big 4 gave the Tigers the middle finger. Better to at least get 1 huh? Was pretty much the reaction at the time. Not a single person with any idea about league or the well being of the Tigers (now proven correct since his re-signing) was happy the weakest of the 4 was the one they kept.

Nice revisionist history there. He was signed on dumb money by the numpties at HQ as a knee jerk reaction after the other 3 of the big 4 gave the Tigers the middle finger. Better to at least get 1 huh? Was pretty much the reaction at the time. Not a single person with any idea about league or the well being of the Tigers (now proven correct since his re-signing) was happy the weakest of the 4 was the one they kept.
Winston your right,at the time we ended up with the one least wanted,and have been holding that end of the stick ever since,but now is not the time to dump him,think we need him now more than ever

Back