Luke Brooks #167

Not only do you know nothing about rugby league Glen you're also a fool!
What’s foolish is this club thinks that he’s the best 7 and continue to back him despite letting them down time and time again. Not everything is his fault, but he sure hasn’t stepped up when needed. He should’ve led the club to finals footy by now.

What is bull ? Are you stating that his poor performance last year was definitely due to his ACL injury or was his performance last year good ? Do you think his performances in 2021 were good enough ?
AD in 2021 before his injury showed that he has what it takes to be a 6. Finishing with 172 points 4th overall on the ladder despite not playing finals and the whole year showed that he can play. Without a doubt our best back Laurie was a close second.

Now when he came back yes he struggled and didn’t play his best but given he came back to a sacked coach replaced with someone who’s not qualified, and still managed to take out the most points out of everyone despite missing half the year showed that he tried. Not perfect both Brooks and AD struggled, but he still did something.

1. He would not have the respect of his opponents. They know he’s the weakest in the team hence they try to target him during our games. Teammates may very depending who he gets along with. No secret not everyone are best mates and that goes to all clubs in general.

2. He’s consistently bad very rarely does he have a good game. I hope he’s practicing his 40/20s and short goal kicking that needs a lot of work.

3. While one club players are rare these days, its not something to really brag about. Only if the club has been successful can you really brag about being one club players.

There have been players who ultimately didn’t win premierships, play origin and represent your country. If you were unable to achieve all 3 you were either really unlucky, or weren’t that good to make it. Safe to say Brooks falls into the second category. He may get lucky to win a premiership but that’s extremely unlikely. Origin and Australia have long passed him so you can forget that. Kevin Hastings was unlucky not to play for his country and win a premiership but he did get picked for Origin so he still managed to achieve something in his career.
Glenji, can you explain why the opposition would target him if he was as bad as you suggest?
All 7s are targeted because of their positional influence on a game not because they’re just there to make up the numbers. The better the half the more attention he gets from the opposing team, big forwards running at him, defenders crowding him, props flopping to take air from his lounges etc. they don’t do those things unless he is a danger.
You mention Brooks kicking. He never has time, forwards not finding their front, not creating a wall etc...it’s madness to be so negative about such a good player.
You can tell that the undeserved criticism and downright nastiness directed at Brooks is taking a toll. That’s a possible reason for his poor performances at Leichhardt where the so called fans aren’t easy to shut out.

What is bull ? Are you stating that his poor performance last year was definitely due to his ACL injury or was his performance last year good ? Do you think his performances in 2021 were good enough ?

I am honestly not sure who is the better player out of the two of them.

I reckon I've been one of his biggest fans but he hasn't owned a spot yet and that is in our team. He also couldn't own a spot at Souths.

Don't get me wrong when he played that pearler of a half against Brisbane I was stating how good he is. I've never seen Brooks play that well. Overall though I think Brooks was heaps better last season.
Yes his 2021 performances at 5/8 were definitely good enough. He carried the attack on his own most games as we had a hooker who couldn't pass and a halfback that was mute. That year with some support around him he would have been even better. Unfortunately last year he was nowhere near that level after coming back from the surgery. Hopefully he can regain 2021 form because he showed that he's a class 5/8

Brooksy needs to talk on the pitch a lot more. He seems reserved. Like sort of awkward when I see him in the sheds and in interviews. I thought he was a great compliment to Moses when they came through because Mitchell was a lot more Brash compared to Brooksy.

Can’t for the life of me find that Sterlo interview Brooks and Moses did together which epitomised their contrasting personalities

Glenji, can you explain why the opposition would target him if he was as bad as you suggest?
All 7s are targeted because of their positional influence on a game not because they’re just there to make up the numbers. The better the half the more attention he gets from the opposing team, big forwards running at him, defenders crowding him, props flopping to take air from his lounges etc. they don’t do those things unless he is a danger.
You mention Brooks kicking. He never has time, forwards not finding their front, not creating a wall etc...it’s madness to be so negative about such a good player.
You can tell that the undeserved criticism and downright nastiness directed at Brooks is taking a toll. That’s a possible reason for his poor performances at Leichhardt where the so called fans aren’t easy to shut out.
To be fair even when Brooks does have time, his kicking is atrocious. Just watch his kicks for touch from penalties, he rarely gains much ground for us out of them and in Newcastle round 2 last year he actually lost ground from one he shanked it so bad.

He obviously does very little extra work on his kicking like you hear the likes of Cleary and DCE doing.

GOOD? What is good about Brooks? The fact that his kicks seem to go out on the full? Kicks them dead in goal resulting in a 7 tackle set for his opponents? That he’s a mute on the field and doesn’t direct the team on what he wants them to do? I’m failing to find the positives from Brooks. All I see is a bloke who after 186 games hasn’t led the team to finals footy by now. Bloke realistically should be Captain by now on a permanent basis and the fact he’s not shows that he’s no leader something a 7 should be. Now they target him like any team does, but really doesn’t matter as he just doesn’t produce and the very rare times he does he can never back it up. I want him to finally do good but you cannot blame us for criticising him we have every right to.

GOOD? What is good about Brooks? The fact that his kicks seem to go out on the full? Kicks them dead in goal resulting in a 7 tackle set for his opponents? That he’s a mute on the field and doesn’t direct the team on what he wants them to do? I’m failing to find the positives from Brooks. All I see is a bloke who after 186 games hasn’t led the team to finals footy by now. Bloke realistically should be Captain by now on a permanent basis and the fact he’s not shows that he’s no leader something a 7 should be. Now they target him like any team does, but really doesn’t matter as he just doesn’t produce and the very rare times he does he can never back it up. I want him to finally do good but you cannot blame us for criticising him we have every right to.
You think Brooks should be captain? He’s not that silly mate. This club has been burning leaders and paying lip service to leadership since sacking Sheens.
Nobody in their right mind would have wanted to be captain it’s been one step closer to the back door.
I’m willing to give this talented experienced half a chance to prove he’s still got it, because I honestly believe he has, working behind a smart skillful pack with a 9 that can keep them going forward. And a coaching team which is capable of getting the group to perform in a professional teamwork manner.
C’mon, why not jump on board and give the kid a break?

You think Brooks should be captain? He’s not that silly mate. This club has been burning leaders and paying lip service to leadership since sacking Sheens.
Nobody in their right mind would have wanted to be captain it’s been one step closer to the back door.
I’m willing to give this talented experienced half a chance to prove he’s still got it, because I honestly believe he has, working behind a smart skillful pack with a 9 that can keep them going forward. And a coaching team which is capable of getting the group to perform in a professional teamwork manner.
Aside from that, he doesn’t demonstrate leadership in any sense.

Leaders improve the players around them.

Being Captain of your club is one of the greatest things you can achieve. He’s played more games for the club than any other member in our team, yet he’s not even close to being a leader. Brooks has done nothing that’s worthy of getting a break. Brooks will earn a break when he finally starts to be a good player, steer his team that he should be doing by now, stops making dumb decisions and gets the team finals bound. IF he can achieve that then he can get his break, until then I wouldn’t care if he signed with another club tomorrow, sooner he’s out the better we will be.

That's your opinion and nothing more.
So true Paws, what these ninnies forget, is that Brooks was the crux of the Tigers attack, Stop Brooks , and it's goodbye Tigers, No one else in the side to worry about, a fullback playing 5/8, a young kid playing fullback, soft forwards, slow backs etc, etc,. I'm not convinced he is the answer, but Dce , Munster, Cleary or others would not have changed the sides results.

And Brooks certainly doesn’t do that.
The players around him, WHO ? Lui, Cleary, Edwards,Crichton,Yeo, Fischer- Harris,Martin, Too'o, Api. at Penrith. Look at Easts , Storm and the other top 8 sides and the players around them.
Do you think your comments are sensible ?

I have said before and I will say it again..I have been a critic of Luke's and also gave him credit over the last ten years,having said that,this year he has every opportunity to do his best as his potential shows he can. .let's give him the chance to prove he can be a good halfback and lead the team to the 8..

The players around him, WHO ? Lui, Cleary, Edwards,Crichton,Yeo, Fischer- Harris,Martin, Too'o, Api. at Penrith. Look at Easts , Storm and the other top 8 sides and the players around them.
Do you think your comments are sensible ?
Since he’s a professional NRL player or at least tries to be, then he’s no different to anyone else in the competition so yes I believe my comments are sensible as he’s a professional therefore he’s gonna get criticised. We may not have stars like they do, but Brooks job is still the same and he has failed so far. I hope 2023 is good for him, but I’m not getting my hopes up.

You can’t judge an individual on a team goal i.e. making finals. It defies logic. I think you are looking for his bad plays and completely blocking out all the good he does.

FWIW Joffa or AD for captain

Since he’s a professional NRL player or at least tries to be, then he’s no different to anyone else in the competition so yes I believe my comments are sensible as he’s a professional therefore he’s gonna get criticised. We may not have stars like they do, but Brooks job is still the same and he has failed so far. I hope 2023 is good for him, but I’m not getting my hopes up.
In any team environment you are only as strong as your weakest link. See ya Pascoe ya Derek

Don’t forget though Doueihi missed the first half of the season bouncing back from his ACL injury. Brooks may have been better but Doeuihi couldn’t play for more than half the season. In 2021 both played from Round 1 up until AD’s injury and AD finished 4th in the competition for most points with 172. Doueihi actually got the most points for us in 22 with 52 even after missing half the season. While he didn’t play his best he still managed to give us something despite missing half the season. Brooks though did manage to get some things right I’ll give him that. But being the halfback his job is more crucial.
youre impressed that our goal kicker scored the most points of anyone in our team?

Back