Luke Brooks #167

Seibold looks to be going down the same disastrous path he did with Brisbane.
In all honesty though Brooks will be better off finally NOT playing halfback... and we will be better off finding a halfback who can control a game on a regular basis.
Something completely obvious to just about everybody for years on end.
All those carrying on about his 'loyalty' to the club should remember that he's received massive chunks of money from the club, while trying to get out of his contract the past 2 years, and now finally done it at his 3rd attempt.
I can't help but feel this too. I understand why he is moving on but this whole good luck and wishing him well - yeh nah.

Tigers Fans: Brooks should leave, we will be better off without you, you are the single reason we haven't played finals for 10 years. Why didn't you go to Newcastle instead of Hastings. Just go, I'll pay for the Uber.

Brooks: OK, I can see I'm not wanted, I'll find another club

Tigers Fans: Where's the loyalty, gets an offer from another club, he's been playing us. He should have taken our fair offer, $100K less than what Manly are giving him. Ungratefull %@%$#

Tigers Fans: Brooks should leave, we will be better off without you, you are the single reason we haven't played finals for 10 years. Why didn't you go to Newcastle instead of Hastings. Just go, I'll pay for the Uber.

Tigers Fans: Where's the loyalty, gets an offer from another club, he's been playing us. He should have taken our fair offer, $100K less than what Manly are giving him. Ungratefull %@%$#
Was manly off 4 years Tigers 2 years ?

Turdesco and "look at me" Mitch did a runner on the club to get instant success. Worked out for Teddy, Mitch is still chasing a trophy. Brooksy hung around and put up with our club's endless hopelessness. The Manly deal is evidence he never had to. Good luck to him!
To put that in correct historical context and remove the spin, we paid Brooks elite halfback money when he stayed.
Manly have offered Brooks half of what Mitch Moses would be getting.
So it's a bit of a humiliating fall from grace.

Surely Sheens and Benji saw this coming. Reportedly wanted out last year till Sheens blocked it, said himself that he would be selfish witn his next contract yet they still made it known that he was in their plans and then - surprise turns down their offer
Now we currently have no FG standard halves at the club. Wouldnt it have been nice for a change for the club to be on the front foot and have a replacement signed first instead of now looking like we are scrambling.
We don't have a first grade standard half WITH brooks

Rubbish: Factoring that Brooks deal was back-ended heavily, he has hardly even taken a pay cut.
How heavily back-ended could it be?

I'm pretty sure the NRL has restrictions against how different a contract can be year on year in % terms without an option being involved. Something like 20% or so (e.g. a player on $800k one year can't be back-ended to more than 960k the next year).

I'm certain you can't sign someone to a 2 year deal which is 200k in the first year and 1.2 mil in the second year... otherwise what's to stop teams offering ridiculous front-ended or back-ended deals to players all at the same time to compete for a short window and then just run out reserve graders for a couple of years while the crap contracts pass. I know the Bulldogs sort of did this after Hasler left them in misery, but the back-ending was problematic more because of the players they signed (e.g. Greg Eastwood and Tony Williams) rather than the back-ending itself in principle.

Looks to me that Brooks always wanted out. Unless of course we paid him huge overs again.

People can feel sorry for the guy all they like but he joins a long list of others who rather than look in the mirror and take their game to a higher standard they chased the cash elsewhere and blamed the club for all their inabilities.

We are so much better off without a player like that.

He has wanted out for a while and his inconsistent form backs that up.

Im not worried about the narritive we are now scrambling for a replacement. Sheens and Benji have a plan and it will become apparent. Be patient.
I dont blame him,

who knows how he may have developed at another club.

He could have been the next Joey Johns

I think you’ll find most (90% plus) are happy to see the back of him.

Get off the gear mate, there’s no first grade halves available and we still have a bottom four roster. Sounds like an attractive club.
Come on .we have a good forward pack that has rolled up the field quite a bit this year .the halves just couldn't capitalise on it

Back