Luke Brooks #167

Surely Sheens and Benji saw this coming. Reportedly wanted out last year till Sheens blocked it, said himself that he would be selfish witn his next contract yet they still made it known that he was in their plans and then - surprise turns down their offer
Now we currently have no FG standard halves at the club. Wouldnt it have been nice for a change for the club to be on the front foot and have a replacement signed first instead of now looking like we are scrambling.

To be fair, the they have tried to be on the front foot in signing a 7. They have attempted to get Moses, Williams, Trindall and most likely others. They just can land anyone.

Wonder if Fulton still getting a sling from all these signings ? Manly has been incredibly active since he joined us , when is it our turn ??
Apparently Fulton is a Tartak man - hence all the talk of the Fainus coming here. Manly loading up on Isaac Moses players via the Seibold link. Player managers are running the game - absolute blight.

It’s smart by Seibold for him to sign a lot of players from the Moses stable. It makes it much harder for Manly to sack him because Isaac will threaten to pull the players out of the club. Although, it didn’t help him at the Broncos.

Reactions: 851
Surely Sheens and Benji saw this coming. Reportedly wanted out last year till Sheens blocked it, said himself that he would be selfish witn his next contract yet they still made it known that he was in their plans and then - surprise turns down their offer
Looks to me that Brooks always wanted out. Unless of course we paid him huge overs again.

People can feel sorry for the guy all they like but he joins a long list of others who rather than look in the mirror and take their game to a higher standard they chased the cash elsewhere and blamed the club for all their inabilities.

We are so much better off without a player like that.

He has wanted out for a while and his inconsistent form backs that up.

Im not worried about the narritive we are now scrambling for a replacement. Sheens and Benji have a plan and it will become apparent. Be patient.

To be fair, the they have tried to be on the front foot in signing a 7. They have attempted to get Moses, Williams, Trindall and most likely others. They just can land anyone.
Not to replace Brooks to try to compliment him.The style of play was to compliment him. Sheens and Benji both said how they were excited about coaching him - made clear more than once he was in their plans. Went to bat for him publically more than once.
Put Brooks in front of the media and talked up how we would see a different style of footy from WTs this year that suited his game.
Either Brooks has taken them for a ride or they have their blinkers on in regard to his desire to get out.

You and everyone who thinks like you don’t have an answer when pressed on our even worse record without him. Blame him all you like it really doesn’t faze me, what’s the reason we lose when he’s not playing? Hint: Maybe it’s the shit roster.
Hard for quality players to want and come and play under a shit half back that only makes your career go backwards.

Brooks would have been a MASSIVE deterrent for any quality back to want to come to this club and play under the filth he dished out week after week.

It was not inside knowledge players managers didn't want their players to sign for the Tiger's and their value to go under, unless it was for an over the top pension contract.

Lets see now what happens. We gave Brooks 11 years of waiting for that 'potential', be patient and see what pans out.

The big surprise for me with Brooks' contract is the 4 years. He's just never been a consistently good player and we signed him longterm after his best season and he basically stunk it up after that. He was obviously in a weak team and that's not all his fault, but he certainly didn't do anything to lift the club in that time.

Why would they offer 4 years? Were other clubs competing for him and 2 wouldn't do it? I think the money offered is fine for him, but this could go like Reynolds did for us as they won't be able to offload him on that salary and for that many years if it doesn't work out. Just don't see the upside for them.

The big surprise for me with Brooks' contract is the 4 years. He's just never been a consistently good player and we signed him longterm after his best season and he basically stunk it up after that. He was obviously in a weak team and that's not all his fault, but he certainly didn't do anything to lift the club in that time.

Why would they offer 4 years? Were other clubs competing for him and 2 wouldn't do it? I think the money offered is fine for him, but this could go like Reynolds did for us as they won't be able to offload him on that salary and for that many years if it doesn't work out. Just don't see the upside for them.
Coach and player same manager - wheeling and dealing.

Wonder if @pawsandclaws1 has gone over and signed up under the silvertails forum yet? He can tell all of the Manly fans about his BBQs with Brooksy.
I agree with the club's decision not to counter bid on the Eagles' offer. We witnessed the same auction for Moses. We move on as a club to hopefully buy new halves. I am big supporter of George Williams and also Welsby. I don't know their contract circumstances but do know they are very good and would improve our squad.

I agree with the club's decision not to counter bid on the Eagles' offer. We witnessed the same auction for Moses. We move on as a club to hopefully buy new halves. I am big supporter of George Williams and also Welsby. I don't know their contract circumstances but do know they are very good and would improve our squad.
Well have to say its refreshing @pawsandclaws1 to see you move on from Brooks just as he has chosen to do from WTs. Now up to the coaching team to look at our team without him with fresh eyes and a new direction.

What’s the chances WT management do their usual fold and release a player early? Brooks could go rehab with the turbros.
I have no problem releasing a player early, as long as it's quid pro quo.

So, we will happily release our longstanding FG halfback to Manly if they release their longstanding halfback to play with us in return. Welcome to the Tigers 2023, Cherry ;)

Coach and player same manager - wheeling and dealing.
Seibold looks to be going down the same disastrous path he did with Brisbane.
In all honesty though Brooks will be better off finally NOT playing halfback... and we will be better off finding a halfback who can control a game on a regular basis.
Something completely obvious to just about everybody for years on end.
All those carrying on about his 'loyalty' to the club should remember that he's received massive chunks of money from the club, while trying to get out of his contract the past 2 years, and now finally done it at his 3rd attempt.

Williams only recently extended his contract at Warrington until end of 2026. Welsby is contracted with St Helens until end of 2025.

The only possibility for either would be if they have a NRL clause in their contracts.

Back