Memorable debuts

Juro

Seeing we have another 2 debutants for Wests Tigers this weekend, (Rowe a NRL debut, Austin just a club debut), I started thinking. What have been the most memorable debuts we have had over our 15 year history.

The ones that immediately came to mind for me were:
1\. Benji Marshall - Round 20, 2003, vs Newcastle at Campbelltown. An 18 year old kid from Keebra Park comes off the bench and bamboozled everyone with his ridiculous footwork, helping to win the game 52-12.

2\. Chris Lawrence - Round 21, 2006, vs Brisbane in Brisbane. I think he is our youngest NRL player, right? Only 17 years old, with speed to burn. Scored on debut. Team won 20-6.

3\. Luke Brooks - Round 24, 2013, vs the Dragons at the SCG. Brought in under controversial circumstances, was instrumental in getting us the win. I don't think I'll ever forget the grin on his face as he went through the gap to score his try. Was awarded man of the match on debut. Team won 34-18.

I'm sure there are a few other good stories to tell. Who do you remember?

Think you nailed the top 3 memorable debuts for me….

Does anyone remember in Chris Lawrence's debut, Ben Jeffrey also played in what i think was also his debut, he was really good that day, and at the time I thought he be a very good player....

Nofa and Koro both had great second games. Nofa scoring the match winner against the Cows at Leichhardt, Koro bagging his 4 tries against the Eels, and that MASSIVE shot on Sandow.

I remember TNT's debut off the bench against Warriors 2006\. He got our only 2 tries, we got done.

Or Jackson Kaufusi scoring a double on debut against Canberra in 2001\. I thought he might have been a force to reckon with, until it turned out he really couldn't catch, nor stop changing his name. Even when you look him up now he is listed as Makasini Richter, displaying his Teuto-Tongan heritage.

Bryce Gibbs bagged a try in his first game, off the bench vs Panthers in 2003\. It was a loss though, those are typically not memorable.

I looked it up once, the amazing strike rate of WT FG debutants (not just transfers from other clubs) scoring a try over a period of 2 years:

Jeff Lima scored Rd 7 2004.
Luke Duffy scored Rd 8 2004.
Shannon McDonnell did not score Rd 26 2005.
Michael Crockett scored R1 2006.
Isaac De Gois did not score Rd 3 2006.
Stuart Flanagan did not score Rd 3 2006.
Rocky Trimarchi scored Rd 6 2006.
TNT scored twice Rd 11 2006.
Rangi Chase scored Rd 17 2006.
Ben Jeffery scored Rd 21 2006.
Chris Lawrence scored Rd 21 2006
8/11 = 73%

Rowdy's debut was memorable for me We won 20-6

Lockyer broke the record for most touches in an NRL game that day

Rowdy scored

Brisbane supporters were tearing their memberships up around me LOL

My son's 1st NRL game

And hearing the Broncos fans calling for blood for arguably the worst forward pass in NRL history to be allowed with Prince offloading to Elford It was easily 2 metres forward

@happy tiger said:

Rowdy scored

My son's 1st NRL game

And hearing the Broncos fans calling for blood for arguably the worst forward pass in NRL history to be allowed with Prince offloading to Elford It was easily 2 metres forward

Man Rowdy blitzed Berrigan that day, pure speed. The other one he scored against Saints a few weeks later after collecting the kick, amazing attacking prowess.

He is nothing like that player nowadays, totally different skillset.

@jirskyr said:
@happy tiger said:

Rowdy scored

My son's 1st NRL game

Man Rowdy blitzed Berrigan that day, pure speed. The other one he scored against Saints a few weeks later after collecting the kick, amazing attacking prowess.

He is nothing like that player nowadays, totally different skillset.

Was it Berrigan , my mental picture has it as Stu Kelly that he burnt ??

Trust your opinion though Jirskyr

And yes , Rowdy must look at that footage and say a prayer to the footy gods every night he could find that speed again

And don't worry so do I

@Tiger Watto said:
@happy tiger said:
Did Robbie score in his debut ??

Robbie didn't get a Meat Pie until his 3rd season vs Parra. Bagged a Double!

That's the one , the 70 metre effort from dummy half within the first two minutes

Most of his dummy half tries are a little different and slightly shorter in 2014

Back