Films Not Movies

It definitely took a different approach to a serious subject.

It's probably my favourite war movie of all time.
Yeah it’s good. I think there are dozens of good war movies. Very powerful, very sad, often crazy genre…. but so many great stories.
The events of Black Hawk Down occurred on my 18th birthday. It has always stuck with me and I commemorate it each year around that time.
Some are truly horrific like Come and See and Apocalypse Now. Some are gutpunches like Breaker Morant, All Quiet on the Western Front, Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence and Gallipoli. There’s silly, fun action flicks like the Rambo saga, Sisu, Dirty Dozen, Inglorious Bastards etc…Heroic tales like Saving Private Ryan and Hacksaw Ridge. Sweeping epics like 1917, Dunkirk etc.. I see a lot of them lol.

Fight Club on ABC tonight.
God damn I love this movie.
One of the absolute best. The book is even better.

So many great quotes

We are a generation of men raised by women.

You are not the car u drive,
Your are not the contents of your wallet
You are not your cancer

if it's your first night at Fight Club,...u have to fight

Wow...
True.

I watched a doco on em a while back.
It's a very brutal story.

Makes me second guess watching it.
Texas Tornado Kerry Von Erich was one of my favourites. Horrendous story for the family. He was only 33.

What a weapon of a movie.
Remember the first time i watched it.

Edward Norton is top tier.
Yeah, I love the philosophy of it.
Also, the more you see it, the more you see.
People interpret it in a few ways.
I’ve had a few arguments over the years about how I see it.

How's when I watched it the first time
With my older brother....

He picked it from the start.
Said its all in his head.

He's no genius either lol
This was as 12 and 13 year olds.

Tucker. I still don't get it. Can you please explain for dummies like myself. Seriously. I know that they are both and 1. No rush. And thank You.

Tucker. I still don't get it. Can you please explain for dummies like myself. Seriously. I know that they are both and 1. No rush. And thank You.

Essentially, I believe its about a man called Jack (Edward Norton) coming to terms with the fact that he has testicular cancer. I could go into a shitload of detail about why I think this, and a lot of people do not agree, but I think Jack has not only been diagnosed with cancer, but is also coming to terms with having to have his balls removed to save his life.

As a part of this cope, he develops a personality that represents his feminine side Mala (Helena Bonham-Carter) and starts attending support groups as her. At the same time, the personality of Jack begins acting out at the world by destroying his apartment, living rough in an abandoned house and tanking at work. He is also very angry at Mala and treats 'her' like shit. Through these clashing personalities, a third entity is introduced called Tyler Durdan (Brad Pitt). He represents Jack's masculinity. Tyler and Mala are both Jack and you notice that they look similar, dress similarly and are both aggressive. For a section of the film they are in a sexual relationship. I believe this is Jack's personalities interacting as he tries to come to terms with his mortality and desperation for existance through chronic masterbation. All the stuff about acceptance and enjoying the moment are Mala. All the stuff about nihilism and anger - including the introduction of Fight Club and Project Mayhem are Tyler. All of this is happening in Jack's head as he sits in an abandoned house and writes volumes of insane ramblings about his body. This includes him hurting himself on purpose through burning his hand and throwing himself about, getting beaten up by Tyler, as he is angry that removing his balls is his only hope. The removal of testicles is mentioned to a few charcters throughout the film and its context is always that of punishment.

At the beginning of the film, Mala (feminine personality) is dominant. For the majority of the film, Tyler (masculinity) is dominant and gets crazier and crazier. At the end, Jack decides that being ultra masculine is not going to help him survive and he rejects it by 'killing' Tyler off. He embrases his feminine side and takes Malas hand as the world falls down around him due to his realisation and acceptance that the balls will have to come off and thats ok because he will live.

Essentially, I believe its about a man called Jack (Edward Norton) coming to terms with the fact that he has testicular cancer. I could go into a shitload of detail about why I think this, and a lot of people do not agree, but I think Jack has not only been diagnosed with cancer, but is also coming to terms with having to have his balls removed to save his life.

As a part of this cope, he develops a personality that represents his feminine side Mala (Helena Bonham-Carter) and starts attending support groups as her. At the same time, the personality of Jack begins acting out at the world by destroying his apartment, living rough in an abandoned house and tanking at work. He is also very angry at Mala and treats 'her' like shit. Through these clashing personalities, a third entity is introduced called Tyler Durdan (Brad Pitt). He represents Jack's masculinity. Tyler and Mala are both Jack and you notice that they look similar, dress similarly and are both aggressive. For a section of the film they are in a sexual relationship. I believe this is Jack's personalities interacting as he tries to come to terms with his mortality and desperation for existance through chronic masterbation. All the stuff about acceptance and enjoying the moment are Mala. All the stuff about nihilism and anger - including the introduction of Fight Club and Project Mayhem are Tyler. All of this is happening in Jack's head as he sits in an abandoned house and writes volumes of insane ramblings about his body. This includes him hurting himself on purpose through burning his hand and throwing himself about, getting beaten up by Tyler, as he is angry that removing his balls is his only hope. The removal of testicles is mentioned to a few charcters throughout the film and its context is always that of punishment.

At the beginning of the film, Mala (feminine personality) is dominant. For the majority of the film, Tyler (masculinity) is dominant and gets crazier and crazier. At the end, Jack decides that being ultra masculine is not going to help him survive and he rejects it by 'killing' Tyler off. He embrases his feminine side and takes Malas hand as the world falls down around him due to his realisation and acceptance that the balls will have to come off and thats ok because he will live.
Damn. Thanks Tucker. I get it. For the first time. Really really appreciate your time in taking time to answer my question. I can watch it again with new eyes. Love ya brother! 👊🙏👊. Thank you again! Now it makes sense.

Damn. Thanks Tucker. I get it. For the first time. Really really appreciate your time in taking time to answer my question. I can watch it again with new eyes. Love ya brother! 👊🙏👊. Thank you again! Now it makes sense.
Haha no probs mate, however just be aware that this is a theory only and hasnt been corrobarated by those who made the film.
I raised this once a few years back and plenty of people disagreed. They think its nothing more than a mentally ill man suffering from Dissociative Identity Disorder who starts a fight club for men who are feeling ignored by society and morphs that into running a home grown terrorist organisation.
I just think this is too simplistic and has a lot of holes in it.
The multiple personalities brought about by the onset of trauma, resulting from a cancer diagnosis makes more sense to me.

Film theory and those that make the film are 2 different things. Like if you made a film Tucker - there would be a theory on it by different theorists - they all have different theories... just yours makes sense.... total sense.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Back