Memories

The first 1-0 result?
Bigtom, you could be right, but the time these two teams met in the semi final was significant because it resulted in a 12 all draw. There was no alternative but to schedule a rematch at the Sydney Sports Ground on the following Tuesday. I remember it well, because I turned up for work on the Monday and my boss told me I had to have tomorrow off to play in the curtain raiser.
Jack Gibson coached the bluebags and Changa was Captain Coach of Dragons. The game was unexpected and drew a small crowd of 28k. Helped myself to a couple of beers from the jets shed, courtesy of a generous sponsor, and sat on the hill to watch the 2nd half. 😁

Bigtom, you could be right, but the time these two teams met in the semi final was significant because it resulted in a 12 all draw. There was no alternative but to schedule a rematch at the Sydney Sports Ground on the following Tuesday. I remember it well, because I turned up for work on the Monday and my boss told me I had to have tomorrow off to play in the curtain raiser.
Jack Gibson coached the bluebags and Changa was Captain Coach of Dragons. The game was unexpected and drew a small crowd of 28k. Helped myself to a couple of beers from the jets shed, courtesy of a generous sponsor, and sat on the hill to watch the 2nd half. 😁
Keep em coming 20-40. This is awesome.
Let's do more like this but leave it up for about 5 or so replies before giving the answer. Like a preseason guessing comp to ease the boredom. Love it! 😻

And I was going to go for the 1-0 score line !
Gotta love the memories.
I think Pringle captained the jets and they had a reputation as a very good defensive team. Dragons threw everything at them without breaking their resolve. I could be wrong but I don’t think there were points scored in the 2nd half?

I think Pringle captained the jets and they had a reputation as a very good defensive team. Dragons threw everything at them without breaking their resolve. I could be wrong but I don’t think there were points scored in the 2nd half?
Fifty years ago 20/40 but think you are correct.
I would say both defences were on top that day.

Because Jack played for both Balmain and Wests, this is relevant. From 2.12 watch Jack's cover tackle on McIndoe who as known as the Emerald Express. Tedesco would not make that tackle and I doubt if the great Billy Slater would make it either.

Because Jack played for both Balmain and Wests, this is relevant. From 2.12 watch Jack's cover tackle on McIndoe who as known as the Emerald Express. Tedesco would not make that tackle and I doubt if the great Billy Slater would make it either.

That’s enough evidence for those who haven’t seen him play.
“Jimmy” was a star in his day and why he was named as the best full back in the game, of his era. I’m not gonna say ever but he is up there.
Some great memories in that tape. Thanks PC1

Great clip.

Footy was better then too, everyone behind the ball. Smaller bodies better players. Could pass.

Remember Jack in reserve grade in 81 at Lidcombe standing out with those blonde locks in our black strip. We kids loved his hard running. He seemed to throw himself at the line. Probably the only player who always seemed to take a pass at full throttle without looking.

He played some first grade and Wests qualified him for out top 3 reserve grade side. I think the rule was a player had to have played 3 of the last 5 matches in that grade on the provision that first grade missed out. Ironically 1st grade only missed out losing to Balmain 2nd last round at Lidcombe so he and Schubert played in our reserve grade premiership side smashing Parramatta.

In the 90s he had a sports shop on Burwood Rd Burwood which I picked up a dumbbell kit set from.

Still use them while watching shit shows like NRL360.

Back