Memories

Wow -when I think of this there are any number of players. When trying to pick one, I can't split Benji, Robbie and Gareth.

Because Jack played for both Balmain and Wests, this is relevant. From 2.12 watch Jack's cover tackle on McIndoe who as known as the Emerald Express. Tedesco would not make that tackle and I doubt if the great Billy Slater would make it either.

Thanks for posting this Paws. I nearly forgot what a legend of a fullback Jack was.
Gary had only 2 speeds when running the ball, quick and really fast.
That covering tackle was a gem.
You also mentioned Slater. There is a close similarity between the two. Both have a body swerve that's centred around the hips....they ran a small arc at full speed. Awesome to watch.
If I was a selector he would be in my team any day.
John "Joe Cool" Dorahy had similar running style also. He was a gem too.

Thanks for posting this Paws. I nearly forgot what a legend of a fullback Jack was.
Gary had only 2 speeds when running the ball, quick and really fast.
That covering tackle was a gem.
You also mentioned Slater. There is a close similarity between the two. Both have a body swerve that's centred around the hips....they ran a small arc at full speed. Awesome to watch.
If I was a selector he would be in my team any day.
John "Joe Cool" Dorahy had similar running style also. He was a gem too.
Some great fullbacks have emerged from the Illawarra. Dorahy was a very fine player and underrated. I have probably forgotten some but those that come to mind -

Keith Barnes
Graeme Langlands
John Dorahy
Gary Jack
Luke Patten
David Riolo could play as well

Some great fullbacks have emerged from the Illawarra. Dorahy was a very fine player and underrated. I have probably forgotten some but those that come to mind -

Keith Barnes
Graeme Langlands
John Dorahy
Gary Jack
Luke Patten
David Riolo could play as well

It is very easy to miss a few names.2 fullbacks from the past who both came from Dapto are Bob Smithies and Ted Goodwin both sadly deceased i used to love watching both of them play.Smithies took over the fullback spot at Balmain and was part of the team that won the premiership in 1969.

The commentary for that fight was
mad too, I think it was Gould after
the second scrum where Robbie cracked him saying something like "Laurie Nichols is on the sidelines
somewhere shadow boxing, if you
don't get back at him your not a tiger" or something classic like that. Warmed the heart that one there brother

Back