Mid year review

liltiger

Hi all hope everyone's having a great night, just a quick question. I read somewhere last year that if mid way through the year the Tigers were not entrenched in the eight then there would be a mid year review conducted on Jason Taylor's position at the club, I'm sure I read there was a stipulation somewhere in Taylor's contract that allowed the club to let him go after 18 months if we were not firmly somewhere in the eight. But for the life of me I can't recall where I read it. Perhaps on the forum or maybe it was just more gutter journalism can anyone shed some light if there maybe any truth to it. Thanks in advance guy's and have a fantastic night all.

Has been a number of stories in the media & tiger torch posted in an earlier thread. TT said that he was subject to review at round 12 with expectation of 50% win record. Other stories I have read in the papers suggest top 8 at mid point or end of season.

There probably is something in his contract. He didn't have much negotiating power coming in here given he was desperate for a first grade gig. The club was still smarting financially from the Sheens sacking so, if they had any nous at all, they would have included a performance clause to avoid Sheens Mk II. It may however not be safe to assume that the club has any nous at all…

I don't know why anyone would sign a 'three year contract' that was only effectively worth 18 months

@Winnipeg said:
I don't know why anyone would sign a 'three year contract' that was only effectively worth 18 months

Because they're desperate for the job and back themselves to deliver…plus JT will have made more in 18 months as a head coach than he would in 3 years as an assistant coach.

If it's the best offer you can get you take it. If you balk too much at a performance clause then a potential employer is going to start to wonder how much you actually back yourself, and wonder why they should back you...

Has anyone thought that he doesn't have much of a say in the team.

E.g. Moses and Brooks are to be picked every game regardless of form.

E.g. Because of the second tier cap he is limited to who he can drop and promote.

E.g. Didn't have any say in Farah - go for it and then the Board backed out and he had to apologise. Joke.

E.g. Over ride the coach and S & C team - supply beer and pizza.

Just think he is on a very short rope as to what decisions he can make myself, but cops 100% of the blame. Not saying he is guiltless but it would be nice to have a coach that can live or die on their own decisions.

The old story winning football clubs are happy clubs and…..........loosing clubs are unhappy clubs. Everyone is trying to find a scapegoat for the mess we are in. I guess it is a million and one things that are dragging us down.

Maybe Pascoe has to get everyone from the football club,players,coaches,officials and who ever and sit them down and start reading the riot act or least have a think tank. We have not got the strongest roster in the world so we are going to get beaten at least 50% of our games but there is no excuses for some of our efforts of late

Yes Russell – maybe he has little say – but that little say that he does have doesn’t seem to be working either.

October 2005 Stamps his credentials as a coach of the future when he guides Parramatta to victory in the premier league grand final in his first season in the job.
May 2006 Gets his chance in the NRL after being appointed Eels caretaker coach following Brian Smith's resignation. South Sydney sign him as co-coach with Shaun McRae for 2007 but Taylor remains with Parramatta for the rest of the season and steers the team to an unlikely finals berth.
September 2006 McRae is sacked as Rabbitohs coach in favour of Taylor but is asked to stay on as football director - he declines.
July 2007 A disagreement between Taylor and new Parramatta coach Michael Hagan over the pre-match warm up spills over into an ugly exchange of words after his return to Parramatta Stadium with Souths when the pair cross paths. ''How f–-ed are you?'' Taylor is overheard telling Hagan. ''You're living off what Brian Smith built here, while he's up in Newcastle rebuilding what you f---ed up.''
September 2007 The Rabbitohs make the finals for the first time since 1989 but are eliminated in their opening match against Manly at Brookvale Oval.
May 2008 Rabbitohs co-owner Russell Crowe is seen arguing with Taylor at 6.30am outside a Darlinghurst cafe after the appointment of John Lang as the club's director of football. Souths had won just one match from their first 10 outings for the season. They finish the season in 14th.
September 2009 After again missing the finals, Taylor joins his players for end-of-season festivities at Forresters Hotel. Wearing a karate suit, Taylor is punched to the ground by David Fa'alogo after reportedly karate-chopping the second-rower. Yesterday, his Souths contract was terminated over the incident.
David Fa'alogo's knock-out punch on coach Jason Taylor has been linked to a dressing-room flare-up two years ago after the South Sydney enforcer had king-hit Sydney Roosters star Braith Anasta.
The Daily Telegraph has reported that Taylor reacted to Fa'alogo's brutal punch on Anasta in 2007 by giving him a severe dressing-down in front of the entire team.
It clearly embarrassed Fa'alogo.
One bystander in the Souths dressing room that day said: "It was one of the best dressing room sprays I have ever seen.
"I was inside the room and JT really gave it to him about ill-discipline."

Can you begin to see a pattern?

You're NOT a good coach when you treat your players with disrespect. I don't care what your won-loss record is or how many championships you've won in the past. Great educators don't teach in this manner. They value their students and make them feel that value, both as learners and individuals. Your position and reputation should not determine whether you get respect from your team. What does determine whether people respect you is how you ACT! Your behavior is what's paramount. Good coaches earn their respect from their players on a daily basis, over and over again based on how they conduct themselves and how they interact with their athlete and everyone else associated with the program. If you think that you're too important to earn respect, then you are distinguishing yourself as a bad coach!

You're NOT a good coach when you call an athlete out in front of the team and tell that athlete, "You absolutely suck! You're the worst short-stop, quarterback, setter, forward, keeper, etc. that I have ever seen!" How is this kind of a comment constructive? Does it help the player understand exactly what he/she is doing wrong and what they need to do to fix it and improve?

There is absolutely no question that an athlete's experience within her sport is almost completely colored by the type of coach she is lucky or unlucky enough to draw. A good coach will teach the athlete to love the sport. He will inspire that athlete to dream big and take risks in pursuit of that goal. He will motivate the athlete to work hard, push through pain and fatigue and bounce back from setbacks and failures. He will build trust among team members and teach each athlete to sacrifice the "I" for the "we." A good coach will teach valuable life lessons and model these through his behaviors and interactions with the athlete and everyone he comes in contact with. A good coach will directly and indirectly change that athlete into a better, more confident, happier person. A bad coach, on the other hand will teach very different lessons. Through his treatment of his players and interactions with those around him he will turn his athletes off to the sport. He will gradually kill the athlete's love and enjoyment of the game. He will steal the athlete's self-confidence and energy and replace them with self-doubts and apathy. A bad coach will motivate the athlete to expend her energies in self-protection and risk avoidance, (5 hit –ups and bomb) rather than personal excellence. He will breed jealousy, selfishness and mistrust on the team. He will snuff out dreams and make the athlete fear failure on and off the playing field. A bad coach will leave the athlete diminished and embittered

I believe we do have the players we need to win the comp – I believe we don’t have a leader.
In other words – we have a well built boat – it floats, it can sail away just like the others – however what is a boat without the captain and a rudder. We do have the talent on the park to make the 8 without a shadow of a doubt.
And if you wonder why Taylor doesn’t get upset and lambast the referees after some criminal decisions in the press conference - you first ask yourself would you lambast your boss in the public eye.
How many more players will he ostracize and we lose before Taylor is gone.
And I used to love Taylor as a player – bled black and white with him – but not all great players make great coaches and I’m sure I don’t really need to tell you that – I’m sure you guys know that already. I don’t hate Taylor – I’m sure he’s a great guy – but let’s be professional here.

The good thing is - Wests Tigers will be great again – rest assured! Stay Positive.

Have a great day folks.

@AmericanHistoryX said:
Yes Russell – maybe he has little say – but that little say that he does have doesn’t seem to be working either.

October 2005 Stamps his credentials as a coach of the future when he guides Parramatta to victory in the premier league grand final in his first season in the job.
May 2006 Gets his chance in the NRL after being appointed Eels caretaker coach following Brian Smith's resignation. South Sydney sign him as co-coach with Shaun McRae for 2007 but Taylor remains with Parramatta for the rest of the season and steers the team to an unlikely finals berth.
September 2006 McRae is sacked as Rabbitohs coach in favour of Taylor but is asked to stay on as football director - he declines.
July 2007 A disagreement between Taylor and new Parramatta coach Michael Hagan over the pre-match warm up spills over into an ugly exchange of words after his return to Parramatta Stadium with Souths when the pair cross paths. ''How f–-ed are you?'' Taylor is overheard telling Hagan. ''You're living off what Brian Smith built here, while he's up in Newcastle rebuilding what you f---ed up.''
September 2007 The Rabbitohs make the finals for the first time since 1989 but are eliminated in their opening match against Manly at Brookvale Oval.
May 2008 Rabbitohs co-owner Russell Crowe is seen arguing with Taylor at 6.30am outside a Darlinghurst cafe after the appointment of John Lang as the club's director of football. Souths had won just one match from their first 10 outings for the season. They finish the season in 14th.
September 2009 After again missing the finals, Taylor joins his players for end-of-season festivities at Forresters Hotel. Wearing a karate suit, Taylor is punched to the ground by David Fa'alogo after reportedly karate-chopping the second-rower. Yesterday, his Souths contract was terminated over the incident.
David Fa'alogo's knock-out punch on coach Jason Taylor has been linked to a dressing-room flare-up two years ago after the South Sydney enforcer had king-hit Sydney Roosters star Braith Anasta.
The Daily Telegraph has reported that Taylor reacted to Fa'alogo's brutal punch on Anasta in 2007 by giving him a severe dressing-down in front of the entire team.
It clearly embarrassed Fa'alogo.
One bystander in the Souths dressing room that day said: "It was one of the best dressing room sprays I have ever seen.
"I was inside the room and JT really gave it to him about ill-discipline."

Can you begin to see a pattern?

You're NOT a good coach when you treat your players with disrespect. I don't care what your won-loss record is or how many championships you've won in the past. Great educators don't teach in this manner. They value their students and make them feel that value, both as learners and individuals. Your position and reputation should not determine whether you get respect from your team. What does determine whether people respect you is how you ACT! Your behavior is what's paramount. Good coaches earn their respect from their players on a daily basis, over and over again based on how they conduct themselves and how they interact with their athlete and everyone else associated with the program. If you think that you're too important to earn respect, then you are distinguishing yourself as a bad coach!

You're NOT a good coach when you call an athlete out in front of the team and tell that athlete, "You absolutely suck! You're the worst short-stop, quarterback, setter, forward, keeper, etc. that I have ever seen!" How is this kind of a comment constructive? Does it help the player understand exactly what he/she is doing wrong and what they need to do to fix it and improve?

There is absolutely no question that an athlete's experience within her sport is almost completely colored by the type of coach she is lucky or unlucky enough to draw. A good coach will teach the athlete to love the sport. He will inspire that athlete to dream big and take risks in pursuit of that goal. He will motivate the athlete to work hard, push through pain and fatigue and bounce back from setbacks and failures. He will build trust among team members and teach each athlete to sacrifice the "I" for the "we." A good coach will teach valuable life lessons and model these through his behaviors and interactions with the athlete and everyone he comes in contact with. A good coach will directly and indirectly change that athlete into a better, more confident, happier person. A bad coach, on the other hand will teach very different lessons. Through his treatment of his players and interactions with those around him he will turn his athletes off to the sport. He will gradually kill the athlete's love and enjoyment of the game. He will steal the athlete's self-confidence and energy and replace them with self-doubts and apathy. A bad coach will motivate the athlete to expend her energies in self-protection and risk avoidance, (5 hit –ups and bomb) rather than personal excellence. He will breed jealousy, selfishness and mistrust on the team. He will snuff out dreams and make the athlete fear failure on and off the playing field. A bad coach will leave the athlete diminished and embittered

I believe we do have the players we need to win the comp – I believe we don’t have a leader.
In other words – we have a well built boat – it floats, it can sail away just like the others – however what is a boat without the captain and a rudder. We do have the talent on the park to make the 8 without a shadow of a doubt.
And if you wonder why Taylor doesn’t get upset and lambast the referees after some criminal decisions in the press conference - you first ask yourself would you lambast your boss in the public eye.
How many more players will he ostracize and we lose before Taylor is gone.
And I used to love Taylor as a player – bled black and white with him – but not all great players make great coaches and I’m sure I don’t really need to tell you that – I’m sure you guys know that already. I don’t hate Taylor – I’m sure he’s a great guy – but let’s be professional here.

The good thing is - Wests Tigers will be great again – rest assured! Stay Positive.

Have a great day folks.

My God

Lazarus arises

You need to watch one of Cameron Smith latest interviews when speaking about Bellamy

He quite clearly stated that what you see on TV happens in the dressing rooms , not as much as it used to , but still happens

Players at times need to be read the riot act

I don't know if it happens now , but I doubt they would hear him over the bangings of the stubbies or the munching on the pizzas

Thanks Buckets

dont need to say any thing more than, POOR , CRAP, PLAYERS ARE CRAP , AS IS THE COACH. cant see us fans getting any thing better this year or next unless we get a new coach and a heap of players.

@AmericanHistoryX said:
What does determine whether people respect you is how you ACT! Your behavior is what's paramount. Good coaches earn their respect from their players on a daily basis, over and over again based on how they conduct themselves and how they interact with their athlete and everyone else associated with the program.
…..
I believe we do have the players we need to win the comp

Good post. I think Taylor has been terrible. I was hopeful he would turn it around this season but although I think he has improved he doesn't appear to have the ability to get our squad performing to the level they are capable of.

I think we will be a great team again. I honestly don't think it's that far off.

@Russell said:

E.g. Because of the second tier cap he is limited to who he can drop and promote.

E.g. Didn't have any say in Farah - go for it and then the Board backed out and he had to apologise. Joke.

Just think he is on a very short rope as to what decisions he can make myself, but cops 100% of the blame. Not saying he is guiltless but it would be nice to have a coach that can live or die on their own decisions.

So, who does "have much of a say"if not Taylor? Enlighten us please, with fact not opinion.

@Russell said:

That is not the case, if he copped 100% of the blame he would have been gone a month ago, he is getting off lightly for the performances we have been dishing up, we were equal last last season and we are playing worse this year.

@851 said:
@Russell said:

That is not the case, if he copped 100% of the blame he would have been gone a month ago, he is getting off lightly for the performances we have been dishing up, we were equal last last season and we are playing worse this year.

I think Taylor has 100% of a say in the team and I think he has been getting a way with far too much. I have no confidence in the board/Mark O'Neill to do their jobs and get rid of this guy.

@LCA said:
@Russell said:

So, who does "have much of a say"if not Taylor? Enlighten us please, with fact not opinion.

I was saying has anyone thought. Not that it is fact.

Everyone assumes he has total control of everything. I am assuming that he MAY NOT (not that he hasn't).

Do you believe that the second tier cap is not restricting selections - that he can just pick whoever he likes? I don't. I think he is restricted in who he brings up and he also has to keep some in reserve in case injuries start to spiral and then he can't play certain players later because of the cap. It is not as simple as some on the Forum would like to believe.

Blame him all you like, you will anyway - I am not making excuses for him but saying that there maybe reasons why he is making some (not all) decisions.

@Russell said:
I was saying has anyone thought. Not that it is fact.

Everyone assumes he has total control of everything. I am assuming that he MAY NOT (not that he hasn't).

Do you believe that the second tier cap is not restricting selections - that he can just pick whoever he likes? I don't. I think he is restricted in who he brings up and he also has to keep some in reserve in case injuries start to spiral and then he can't play certain players later because of the cap. It is not as simple as some on the Forum would like to believe.

Blame him all you like, you will anyway - I am not making excuses for him but saying that there maybe reasons why he is making some (not all) decisions.

The current narrative on here is that JT is to blame for everything - if you're not going to stick to it you should consider wearing a flame retardant suit :unamused:

Taylor's day of reckoning is fast approaching. If they sack him I hope at the same time they hold the playing group to account. There is s good chunk of the current squad members that should be cut for underperforming (farah, brooks, nofo, halatau, sirro)

Latest posts

Back