My BENJI 2024 Expectations!

I liken this team to the Broncos of a couple of years ago. Had a stack of talent in the side but ended up finishing last. It wasn't until they added guys like Reynolds, Capewell & Walsh where they really started to see results & actually turned in to a winning side. Not saying we have that level of talent but ultimately these sorts of things don't happen overnight & we are 5 months into a rebuild that needs at least 3 years before we can see results. One thing is clear that the players are buying into what Benji's doing which is the most important thing.
And the most annoying thing is it should not take over 20 years for our team to become a force again. Benji will do everything he possibly can to make our dream become a reality, because he has the same dream.
Richo and Benji have got to clear out quite a few unwanted players, and purchase some top line worthwhile players.

Pensioners not required.

Every player we have recruited imo has gone backwards when he comes here

I've heard it occasionally in the media,. Sometimes it's a vindictive nature (Anasta, Akoula going to Penrith, Leilua,. Wade. Mackinnin, Woods.... But also guys like Tuquiri have mentioned how things aren't quite as good here compared to where he went moving on.

Coaching staff should try an anonymous feedback session with the players asking why they think things aren't as good here as where they were previously... All the coaches as well could but in too.... Farah/south's, Morris knights sharks.... Heighno sharks... Benji Souths.

So things very very different to all these other clubs... We have a lot of ex Panthers a club extremely succesful.
Is it the actual training, the methods used/ game plans etc... Is it admin and management?
Is it the atmosphere and culture... Things would've been. Very different from Madge era to Benjis... It could be a bit or a lot of all... Many more aspects to query about.
I know some of the players don't have a lot between the ears... Could be too much for them.
Yiu never know might find some sort of common denominator??
Ink, regarding the part of your post that I highlighted . . . . I was speaking with Trevor Cogger's family the other day, and talk drifted around to Jack . . . . crux of it is that Newy didn't once ask him how Penrith did things; tips, techniques, drills . . . nothing. I found that interesting, and you've raised it too . . . .

And I expect that when the injuries set in and some of our depth has to step up. I’m not judging this regime till next year personally.
But if the injuries set in and the blow outs happen as expected then our season, defensively, will mirror last year. So where is the improvement?

Youre talking in hypotheticals
Not really. I'm saying our defence through the first 2 months this season pre injuries setting in is comparative to our defence in the first 2 months of last season before the injuries had set in.
So I don't see where our improved defence is this year. Sure it is better than what was served up by a team littered with reserve graders at the back end of last year when there were injuries, but is that the benchmark for improvement or should we compare like with like

Not really. I'm saying our defence through the first 2 months this season pre injuries setting in is comparative to our defence in the first 2 months of last season before the injuries had set in.
So I don't see where our improved defence is this year. Sure it is better than what was served up by a team littered with reserve graders at the back end of last year when there were injuries, but is that the benchmark for improvement or should we compare like with like
On evidence so far this year, our defence has improved. I concede we are one third through the season and we need to keep getting better. Our attack on the other hand stinks.

He is arguing the improvement is overstated and is correct.
Ive seen an improvement in attitude with the team going 80 far more often than normal but our negative play is just as bad as ever and we are still letting in a lot of points each week whilst struggling to score many ourselves.
It’s interesting across the comp. We haven’t been absolutely wiped like a lot of other teams have. To have 30 points put on you used to be a flogging but with the new rules I don’t think it is.

Ink, regarding the part of your post that I highlighted . . . . I was speaking with Trevor Cogger's family the other day, and talk drifted around to Jack . . . . crux of it is that Newy didn't once ask him how Penrith did things; tips, techniques, drills . . . nothing. I found that interesting, and you've raised it too . . . .
That’s crazy. That would be the first question I’d ask. Even if a player was coming across from a weaker side, so you would avoid what they were doing…

Instill some grit into the team.
That's the one. The better teams hang in there when things go against them. Until we get that, we're just pretending.
Seen it at times this year but been terrible in other games.
If Benji can't get that happening then he needs to go.

Titans are now improving after a poor start, and they are only one win behind us. Dogs have improved heaps. St George are improving. Souths had a nightmare draw, and it will be a lot easier from here on. Dolphins are in the 8. I was optimistic until the Dragons game.

Benji and the boys have a lot of work ahead to avoid a three-peat.

Back