NEGATIVITY LEADS TO A TIGHTER BOND

G

By Wayne Cousins
31/05/2010 4:52:54 PM

Experienced prop Todd Payten says recent heavy criticism and rumours of internal rumblings has made this year’s Wests Tigers team the tightest of any side he has played in.

Now in his seventh season at Wests Tigers, Payten believes the criticism and the fact the team has gone into camp over the past two weeks has proven very beneficial since the heavy loss to Souths in round 10.

“It was just one of those days against Souths. We made a lot of errors and it wasn’t much fun in the end. But that’s footy,’’ Payten said.

“Going into camp certainly helps the blokes with families. It may sound wrong but to prepare properly, you have got to be a bit selfish.

“It is hard being at home because you want to help with the baby or help your partner.

“Being away from that means you get a full eight hours sleep. It allows you to do everything that needs to be done.

“It is also good for the boys to be together. There has been some negative press that we are not getting along but this is the tightest bunch of players we have had for years.

“I don’t think too many of the players read into it. It was pretty irresponsible journalism, really.

“If anything, it works in our favour. It pulls us tighter together and makes everyone want to work harder for one another and prove people wrong.”

With back-to-back wins over Newcastle and the Warriors, Payten says his team-mates have a point to prove against the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium this Friday night following a disappointing performance in the round six loss at home.

“It is always a fiery clash against the Bulldogs. We enjoy playing them,’’ he said.

“It is a big game as it sets up our season. A win over the Bulldogs and then the two points from the bye the following weekend will put us in the top four again.

“There is a finishing line in sight now.”

Payten said he was just starting to find his rhythm again after a frustrating run with injuries since Christmas, the latest being a calf injury. He has played just seven matches this season.

“I’m only just starting to find my feet now. Last week was my first complete week on the training field for five weeks,’’ he said.

“The calf feels good now. Just getting that continuity in training and playing games will only make it better for me in the next fortnight.”

hard to believe that a win over the hapless dogs on Friday night would put us way back into contention…

well done to the boys for turning it around. That in itself is a minor miracle. Kudos them all

@willow said:
By Wayne Cousins
31/05/2010 4:52:54 PM

Experienced prop Todd Payten says recent heavy criticism and rumours of internal rumblings has made this year’s Wests Tigers team the tightest of any side he has played in.

Now in his seventh season at Wests Tigers, Payten believes the criticism and the fact the team has gone into camp over the past two weeks has proven very beneficial since the heavy loss to Souths in round 10.

“It was just one of those days against Souths. We made a lot of errors and it wasn’t much fun in the end. But that’s footy,’’ Payten said.

**“Going into camp certainly helps the blokes with families. It may sound wrong but to prepare properly, you have got to be a bit selfish.\
\
“It is hard being at home because you want to help with the baby or help your partner.\
\
“Being away from that means you get a full eight hours sleep. It allows you to do everything that needs to be done.**
“It is also good for the boys to be together. There has been some negative press that we are not getting along but this is the tightest bunch of players we have had for years.

“I don’t think too many of the players read into it. It was pretty irresponsible journalism, really.

“If anything, it works in our favour. It pulls us tighter together and makes everyone want to work harder for one another and prove people wrong.”

With back-to-back wins over Newcastle and the Warriors, Payten says his team-mates have a point to prove against the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium this Friday night following a disappointing performance in the round six loss at home.

“It is always a fiery clash against the Bulldogs. We enjoy playing them,’’ he said.

“It is a big game as it sets up our season. A win over the Bulldogs and then the two points from the bye the following weekend will put us in the top four again.

“There is a finishing line in sight now.”

Payten said he was just starting to find his rhythm again after a frustrating run with injuries since Christmas, the latest being a calf injury. He has played just seven matches this season.

“I’m only just starting to find my feet now. Last week was my first complete week on the training field for five weeks,’’ he said.

“The calf feels good now. Just getting that continuity in training and playing games will only make it better for me in the next fortnight.”

Um, thats what being a father is all about Toddy. I hope you enjoy sleeping on the couch for the next few weeks after that comment :wink:

This response from Todd Payten on behalf of the Tigers playing squad is all Puff and Wind if they fail to chalk up a win against the K9's.

@nedkelly said:
this response from todd payten on behalf of the tigers playing squad is all puff and wind if they fail to chalk up a win against the k9's.

thats right ned results speak much louder than words.

The Jury is out. Only smashing the dogs will suffice. They imbarressed the WT last time.

They have notthing and showed us -

PS - I love sleeping on the couch.

The

Toddy what are you doing mate, i hope your misses doesn't read that article. Good luck to you and your twins (between your legs)

Anyway, good to hear they are close and on the same page…, time will tell though. Two wins against under strength sides doesn't convince me just yet. The Souths performance is still bugging me.

But onwards and upwards

I'm sure the comments will be taken in the context they were given, a first grade football team's performance

Back