New 20's signing Riley Cheshire

Tacky

**Riley Cheshire’s hard work is rewarded with Wests Tigers’ offer**

ANYA WHITELAW

RILEY Cheshire is about to embark on the biggest period of his young rugby league career after signing with Wests Tigers, but he is not the only one who is excited over the prospect.

Kurt Hancock, a man who utilised the talent of the young prop in the St Pat’s Group 10 premier league outfit in season 2017, is delighted to see Cheshire get the chance to take the next step.

Having spent time in a Newcastle Knights jumper, Hancock knows the commitment required to play alongside the nation’s elite rugby league talents.

It is the sort of commitment he has witnessed from Cheshire, who will play at under 20s level for NRL club Wests Tigers.

“I’m just really happy for the kid. He's worked extremely hard over the last couple of years and has been outstanding for St Pat’s,” Hancock said.

“It’s great to see a kid’s dream coming true. Now it’s up to him, he will have a program he will have to work to and I will help him with that.

“He’s got plenty of leadership qualities about him. He'’s 196 centimetres and a 110 kilograms and he’s only 18, it’s crazy.

“It’s just a really good reward for him for all the work he’s put into the sport.”

As well as impressing for the Saints both in the under 18s and premier league, Cheshire was a standout at a representative level as well.

He lined up for the Western Rams and his good performances in the green and white earned him NSW Country under 18s representation.

His performances attracted attention from the likes of Cronulla and the Bulldogs, but it was the Wests Tigers who secured the signature of the front rower.

Hancock said that association will benefit others in the Western region as well.

“It’s good for all the other kids in Bathurst to see he’s done this because we have an abundance of talent out here. We’ll forge a relationship with Wests Tigers now in the area, which is really good as well,” he said.

“He’s shown that if you back yourself and you work hard, what you can do. He’s a really down to earth kid and from a really good family.”
\
\
\
http://www.westernadvocate.com.au/story/5080899/cheshires-hard-work-is-rewarded-with-wests-tigers-offer/

Sounds good.

Haven't the panthers played at Bathurst the last couple of years and tried to form a relationship with them?

Good to move in on the area if so

@ said:
Sounds good.

Haven't the panthers played at Bathurst the last couple of years and tried to form a relationship with them?

He plays for Bathurst St Pats, who are the arch enemy of Bathurst Panthers.
A bit like Souths and Roosters.

![](http://nnimgt-a.akamaihd.net/transform/v1/crop/frm/YpbCWLfGAstDHC22gJwdbm/1057d953-a0f7-45b2-afd6-1fb828dbf387.JPG/r0_0_2859_2094_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg)

Congrats

@ said:
@ said:
Sounds good.

Nice.

Are they a strong club bathursttiger?

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
Sounds good.

Nice.

St Pats are nearly always near the top, but I don't think the Group 10 level is as strong as it could be.
Panthers playing games and clinics here is helping to improve the standard.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
Sounds good.

Nice.

St Pats are nearly always near the top, but I don't think the Group 10 level is as strong as it could be.
Panthers playing games and clinics here is helping to improve the standard.

Thanks bt

In the same Country U18 team off the interchange is a prop named Joe Hobby. I know we had the two Hobby brothers (from Cowra) on our books. I'm not sure if this is still the case but someone may be able to provide further advice?

Good luck to the kid, if he's only 18 then he's still got some growing to do, but it will be interesting to see how he handles the pace of NYC. If he's playing top tier football at Bathurst then I suspect the contact won't be a problem for him. 196cm and 110kg…fingers crossed he's a good one and has what it takes to make it all the way.

@ said:
In the same Country U18 team off the interchange is a prop named Joe Hobby. I know we had the two Hobby brothers (from Cowra) on our books. I'm not sure if this is still the case but someone may be able to provide further advice?

Joe will be in the Panthers SG Ball side.

@ said:
@ said:

Joe will be in the Panthers SG Ball side.

Thanks. That;s a shame.

Spoke with local coach
Said he is keen tough kid rips in
But gotta work on his fitness

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
Does anyone know who the new nyc coach will be?

Yes ..Craig Wilson..

Is this the guy that used to play back row for Cronulla?

That was his younger brother, Alan WIlson.

Craig Wilson played for Norths as a second row forward.

There is a photo of the WTs' under 20s team on the twitter page. Are the names of the players now available?

:unamused:

@ said:
Sounds good.

Yes the Panthers took over a Bathurst team quite some time ago, but there are 2 teams in Bathurst, the Panthers and St Pats. Both these teams usually do well, it can't hurt to have a relationship with Pats.

Latest posts

Back