Nofa

Alf_Duguid

I think last night proved the Nofa experiment at centre should be shelved. Two poor defensive reads lead to manly tries. Let him play to his strengths of ball running and put him back to the wing. I yearn for a top quality defensive centre ala Tony Cossato from the glory years

_Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0_

He may have played there a bit as a junior, but top grade is a different prospect altogether. Some want Simona to play as a winger (which he is great at), but he plays centre because it is the hardest to master defensively and he is capable, where most, seemingly including Nofa aren't. For mine the experiment was already over prior to last night and if we want to teach players a position then NSW Cup is the place.

I disagree and we don't have any better options. He is great in attack and is wasted on the wing. Surely someone can teach him the rudiments of reading the play and matching up…..At least he threatens out wide, unlike Lawrence or other recent replacements.

@Alf Duguid said:
I think last night proved the Nofa experiment at centre should be shelved. Two poor defensive reads lead to manly tries. Let him play to his strengths of ball running and put him back to the wing. I yearn for a top quality defensive centre ala Tony Cossato from the glory years

It will be for a while if he has a medial tear

He could be gone for up to 6-8 weeks depending on the severity of the tear

@happy tiger said:
@Alf Duguid said:

You're a Doctor now to…

He certainly offers more with the ball than Lawrence, but his defensive reads are poor. I still think he and Simona are our best options, although if Richards hangs up the boots at the end of the year, I'd shift Nofo back to wing and promote Seve for next year.

@Geo. said:
@happy tiger said:
@Alf Duguid said:

You're a Doctor now to…

Yes nurse Geo

Scalpel

@willow said:
He certainly offers more with the ball than Lawrence, but his defensive reads are poor. I still think he and Simona are our best options, although if Richards hangs up the boots at the end of the year, I'd shift Nofo back to wing and promote Seve for next year.

Richards plays on the left & Nofo plays on the right?

Seve was always a left centre through his juniors and I'd like to see someone at this club use commonsence and move him back there. His ability to get on the outside of his man is 200% greater playing on the left.

I'd prefer to see in 2016:

Left Wing - Simona
Left Centre - Seve
Right Centre - ???
Right Wing - Nofo

@Tiger Watto said:
Left Wing - Simona
Left Centre - Seve
Right Centre - ???
Right Wing - Nofo

I like the look of that. I rate Simona as a centre however he can also play wing. We need to have some speed out wide and try to win games.

I have no issues with Naiqama being at right centre. He isn't a gun but I think he is good enough.

Noffa and Simona need to be kept there and persevered with- both have talent and in the long term it will be a good move IMO.

@Tiger Watto said:
@willow said:

Richards plays on the left & Nofo plays on the right?

Seve was always a left centre through his juniors and I'd like to see someone at this club use commonsence and move him back there. His ability to get on the outside of his man is 200% greater playing on the left.

I'd prefer to see in 2016:

Left Wing - Simona
Left Centre - Seve
Right Centre - ???
Right Wing - Nofo

They will probably persevere with Milone…

Watson Heleta has been as good as if not better than Seve since they came to the Tigers tbh. They're also both better than Hoeter and Milone.

I think Nofa is only a winger. It is wing or nothing for mine.

It is also a problem that he seems to be injury prone, maybe his contract when up shouldn't be extended.

@Russell said:
I think Nofa is only a winger. It is wing or nothing for mine.

It is also a problem that he seems to be injury prone, maybe his contract when up shouldn't be extended.

Wow. Huge call. He has had a tough run with some compounding injuries - ankles and knees are often related.

He has played centre twice. There is no reason why he can't learn. He is a good tackler. He just need to learn his new role.

Does anyone seriously expect him to have a seamless move? Seriously. Two games… ?

He runs a great line : tick
He busts tackles and creates second phase play: tick
He tackles hard and puts his body on the line: tick
He has formed a defensive combo in his second game at centre: cross

Solution: sack him

@Geo. said:
@happy tiger said:
@Alf Duguid said:

You're a Doctor now to…

No, but he's had a medial tear !

Yeah what do you do if you can score 2 but let in 3.

Nofo cost us last week too, but we were able to recover and turn the screws. His reads last night were atrocious, I think he got only 1 right and was trampled a few times, poor Naiqama having to cover.

No surprise Manly struggled to score on our right (and switched their attack to our left) when Sarge went to right centre.

@willow said:

Nofoaluma has had 3 games of NRL in the toughest defensive position in the game

He needs more time to see if he can be a success at centre , he handles the attack side well , but defensively is probably more important

Patience my buttercups ,patience :slight_smile:

I don't ever remember him playing any centre in his 20's days, all of a sudden he is a centre because we have no one else. Why wasn't he playing centre before and why do we have to have players in first grade to learn how to play?

With his dodgey knees who knows if he will even make first grader.another example of over committing on our juniors.

Back