Not slashing my wrists yet

fergiefurr

I get the hysterics in here over the last 2 weeks and yes I'm extremely disappointed with the 'performances.' However to me they aren't totally unexpected and I don't think they indicate a terrible season ahead.

The raiders and panthers are bad match ups for us. They have huge forwards and play off momentum. Their strengths are running and tackling hard, they have strong edge runners who their halves are very good at getting 1on1 with our halves. As soon as a team does this we inevitably throw in the towel. Penrith and Canberra belted us last year too.

In round 1 we showed that when our forwards can match or get over the top of their opposition, our speedy backs and halves can wreck havoc. Souths play a boring one up game and hope that opposition errors or penalties will get them down in the opposition 20\. We beat them with little trouble, like we did twice last year.

Do you see the pattern emerging? We are virtually the same team as last year. I fully expect us to come out and push (very possibly beat) the storm next Sunday. We'll probably then beat the dragons the following week too.

Now I'm not happy about this, I really thought this was the year our potential stars matured into good, consistent first graders. Instead I believe we'll have another roller coaster year full of some good wins over some top sides (I.e some of storm, cowboys, sharks) yet get belted by the regulars (raiders, panthers, roosters). There's no way we will get the spoon, yet sadly we won't be a serious side challenging either. We might be in the running for the 8 in the final rounds again, with some luck we might even sneak in, but like it or not I expect another 'typical tigers' year ahead.

I agree that the Panthers and Raiders are bad match ups. However you would like to think the coach and players could have worked on something in the off season to combat that to an extent.

However I just think we are going backwards. JT number 1 mantra was defence and even against a crap Souths we gave up 4 soft tries in the wet.

Look at our side.

Weak Centres. Rookie on the wing. Halves the are up and down. Zero back row. No bench. No Depth.

A few sides had the year off last year - 9th flattered us.

I don't think we will be s lucky this year.

Melbourne will belt us.

@ said:
I get the hysterics in here over the last 2 weeks and yes I'm extremely disappointed with the 'performances.' However to me they aren't totally unexpected and I don't think they indicate a terrible season ahead.

The raiders and panthers are bad match ups for us. They have huge forwards and play off momentum. Their strengths are running and tackling hard, they have strong edge runners who their halves are very good at getting 1on1 with our halves. As soon as a team does this we inevitably throw in the towel. Penrith and Canberra belted us last year too.

In round 1 we showed that when our forwards can match or get over the top of their opposition, our speedy backs and halves can wreck havoc. Souths play a boring one up game and hope that opposition errors or penalties will get them down in the opposition 20\. We beat them with little trouble, like we did twice last year.

Do you see the pattern emerging? We are virtually the same team as last year. I fully expect us to come out and push (very possibly beat) the storm next Sunday. We'll probably then beat the dragons the following week too.

Now I'm not happy about this, I really thought this was the year our potential stars matured into good, consistent first graders. Instead I believe we'll have another roller coaster year full of some good wins over some top sides (I.e some of storm, cowboys, sharks) yet get belted by the regulars (raiders, panthers, roosters). There's no way we will get the spoon, yet sadly we won't be a serious side challenging either. We might be in the running for the 8 in the final rounds again, with some luck we might even sneak in, but like it or not I expect another 'typical tigers' year ahead.

Was taking your post seriously until i read that :laughing: .

Whatever points we end up at the end of the year…i will give you an Additional 8 Points if that is enough to get us in the 8 i will Donate $100.00 to your chosen Charity , absolute no hope and you wait till Teddy and Woods are away on Origin duty .

I think we need to act quickly and release Taylor because we are very likely to beat Melbourne and give him a reprieve and so the circle will continue. Melbourne don't like playing us, we love playing them.

Let's not forget that we just played the two sides that actually flogged us while we were in form late last year. We played our two worst style matchups two rounds straight.

That is no excuse. I am filthy. To have not progressed is astonishing. I will be putting good money on us to beat Melbourne though.

@ said:
I agree that the Panthers and Raiders are bad match ups. However you would like to think the coach and players could have worked on something in the off season to combat that to an extent.

However I just think we are going backwards. JT number 1 mantra was defence and even against a crap Souths we gave up 4 soft tries in the wet.

Look at our side.

Weak Centres. Rookie on the wing. Halves the are up and down. Zero back row. No bench. No Depth.

A few sides had the year off last year - 9th flattered us.

I don't think we will be s lucky this year.

Melbourne will belt us.

I'm not defending the team or Taylor in anyway. Yes we should have had a better plan to combat this, we knew exactly how we were going to be attacked and still couldn't stop it.

The problem is that our deficiencies are so, so, SO bad that they completely negate our strengths. We are also the weakest team mentally in the Comp by some Margain. When we lose against a team that can attack our weaknesses, we lose badly.

A team like the storm play a similar (but execute it much better) game to Souths. The storm don't blow teams away, particularly early in the season. They are methodical but our style has always worried them. Even last year in Melbourne we turned it on for 20 minutes and put 4 tries on them.

When we play a team that don't bash us or have big strong edge runners we will be always be a chance.

No offence Fergie , but why do people hold up round 1 as an example of what we can do.
?
We should have put 50 on Souths that day. Yes we got the points that's all that matters , but to not see the cracks that were already there is What happens too often in this club.

Souths had a player that should have been in hospital as a passenger for 3/4 of the game, instead of being left on the field in the most neglible decision by a coach that I've seen. One that will take some beating for a long while.
They also lost2 or three of their bench.
We were so ordinary at times that Inglis was able to stroll( actually limped) over, for a try without a finger being laid on him.
As I said we got the points but we never took any advantage of the havoc that was happening on the Rabbits team.
A wins a win. But by the games end the same old problems were showing and alarm bells were ringing. We have to be better ,but there's no one capable of changing things enough to make those changes . It's getting clearer that the team is giving nothing for Taylor, and Taylor has no idea how to fix anything. Unless the admin can get him some help, he's should be gone rather than waste another season.9

@ said:
@ said:

Was taking your post seriously until i read that :laughing: .

Whatever points we end up at the end of the year…i will give you an Additional 8 Points if that is enough to get us in the 8 i will Donate $100.00 to your chosen Charity , absolute no hope and you wait till Teddy and Woods are away on Origin duty .

Thanks for reminding me about that FT. that's made my day worse lol

Latest posts

Members online

Back