NRL admits bunker mistake

The obvious question is what are the repercussions from this monumental mistake ?
None it would seem based off his press conference. Chammas for once stood up for the Tigers in asking him some questions and like the Politician he was and wanted to list it as being semantics. The rules are the rules and to suggest that it is not black and white is just simply ridiculous and shows the amateur nature of senior NRL officials.

I appreciate that Referees make mistakes as do all of us, however when presented with facts and they were facts that you are more respectable when your admit you are wrong and can move on.

I will continue to watch the Tigers but have no interest in watching any other games anymore.
Todd Payton was banging on earlier this year that poor sides cop the rough end of the stick in decisions and to see him say what he did rather than say the Tigers were robbed and we were very lucky to get the points, has now lost me as a supporter of his.

WTF would happen in Test cricket if the umpire allowed a DRS review after calling over. A billion Indians would spew their bento boxes and the umpire would go up in flames.

This is exactly why it wont be overturned.

The financial impact to the betting agencies having already paid out, will scare the sh1t out of the NRL.
And if so, so be it! They can suffer in their jocks. Until the NRL itself has to pay a penalty, nothing will change. Our club has just suffered a penalty and that's ok?
Or do I have that the wrong way around? Is the NRL is owned by the betting agencies?

The same when Ashley Klown penalised WT against the Broncos a few years the NRL said he got it wrong stiff s**t.

It's not anywhere near a professional response. The whole response was completely opaque/unclear and unacceptable.

I'd like to see the club put out a media release about what has occurred and clearly detail the facts of the matter and the completely unprofessional approach via the NRL and in particular the officials.

I'd like a completely professional response that calls them out for gross incompetence and labels Feldt a cheater who has bought the game into disrepute.

I think that's a pretty good explanation:

1. First whistle is always to stop play as the ref was told the time has elapsed, then usually the second whistle will indicate game over.
2. The captain's challenge was done after the first whistle and the second whistle was never blown so it is considered a 'stoppage' but game isn't over until the ref blows the second whistle.

As for the call itself, when I saw it in normal speed, I thought it was a 50/50. The more replays suggested it may have been a 40-60. Definitely not enough to overturn the decision.

No issues with the process IMO, definitely a bit of gamesmanship and smartness by Townsend/Feldt.

With respect this is a ridiculous interpretation of the rules. You can’t challenge a non-ruling with 5 seconds left but you can if it’s full time or halftime? I think that’s nuts.

I’ll leave your interpretation of events alone except to say you’re in a very small minority who even believes it was close to a penalty.

Just read this and try an be unbiased. I can't but I'd like to think I'm calm and rational.

It seems a farcical decision and a farcical response by the NRL.

You will never get two points back and that is fair enough. You would have clubs going through every call that is made during a game.

What you do want is a strong apology from the NRL and a strong message sent to the officials making the stuff ups that they are accountable and they face a stint in the lower grades. It has to be noted that Klein is no rookie, he is ranked no1, so there is no excuses, no grey areas, he stuffed up monumentally.

With respect this is a ridiculous interpretation of the rules. You can’t challenge a non-ruling with 5 seconds left but you can if it’s full time or halftime? I think that’s nuts.

I’ll leave your interpretation of events alone except to say you’re in a very small minority who even believes it was close to a penalty.
Oh don't get me wrong, we were definitely dudded and should have won the game. I'm just saying I understand the other side- and I don't think this was the "worst call in RL history" or anything of that sort. I personally believe the Ben Hunt one was worse.

I didn't see the game live so probably not going through the same emotions as everyone else, but objectively speaking, I don't think there was an attempt to cheat. It was incompetent and Klein should be suspended.

Respectfully, this just isn’t correct. You can only challenge a play that results in a structured restart. The NRL rules are very clear on this.
I saw the post that @jirskyr posted which said when you can do a captain's challege. I understand Annesley's POV that there was a stoppage, hence there could have been a captain's challenge. Anyway, the precedence has been set. This is the law from now on unless they change it.

None it would seem based off his press conference. Chammas for once stood up for the Tigers in asking him some questions and like the Politician he was and wanted to list it as being semantics. The rules are the rules and to suggest that it is not black and white is just simply ridiculous and shows the amateur nature of senior NRL officials.

I appreciate that Referees make mistakes as do all of us, however when presented with facts and they were facts that you are more respectable when your admit you are wrong and can move on.

I will continue to watch the Tigers but have no interest in watching any other games anymore.
Todd Payton was banging on earlier this year that poor sides cop the rough end of the stick in decisions and to see him say what he did rather than say the Tigers were robbed and we were very lucky to get the points, has now lost me as a supporter of his.
Surely the circumstances/criteria for a captains challenge have to be in place before the challenge, not because of the outcome of challenge, and that wasn’t the situation in this game. There was no penalty or subsequent restart as a precursor to the challenge (sorry posted this before elsewhere)

Back