NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series

@Fade-To-Black said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255240) said:
@Lauren said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255225) said:
@Fade-To-Black said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255218) said:
@Lauren said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255176) said:
@TheKhan said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255051) said:
I don't understand the argument about the Australian Anthem being offensive to indigenous players. The argument is redundant once a player accepts a place on the team, Its State of Origin. A competition exclusively between 2 Australian states. So we have the indigenous welcome to country ceremony ( I believe) and then its OK to wear the jersey of an Australian State and accept Australian currency as payment but once the nations anthem is played its suddenly rage inducing and emotionally over whelming to be reminded that the continent was colonized and then the nation of Australia was formed 200 + yrs ago. im not writing this with contempt or trying to be dismissive im trying to understand the problem

I feel like most are failing to see some of the message that the players have been attempting to get across, and that it's rarely been touched upon due to the outrage.

Yes the anthem being non-inclusive of Indigenous culture and history is often brought up, but other than a couple of articles I've never seen any dialogue about the other issues the players wish to bring attention to - particularly Indigenous Youth incarceration and suicide - and can't believe people make a bigger deal because they don't want to sing it.
Irregardless of any personal opinions of them, the players are pillars of their community - and perceived highly as role models for many children - and if they wish to use this platform to bring vital awareness to the outlined circumstances, why does their Indigenous heritage or the causes close to them become invalid due to them receiving payments?

People are incarcerated because they break the law. Regardless of colour or race.
Don't break the law and you'll have nothing to worry about IMO.

A 10 year old boy walking home on sundown because he stayed later than he was supposed to - just to play some footy with friends or relatives - is not breaking the law. You'd actually be surprised that this is the reality for a lot of Aboriginal kids from FNQ and many remote Aboriginal communities.
And please don't even try to bring parenting or any other thing into it, because no one deserves that.
So if you think that's acceptable shame on you.

That's all pretty hypothetical more so than fact-based.
Again, people are usually incarcerated for breaking the law. Shame on me for having that belief.

Why are indigenous indigenous incarceration rates higher than the general population?

@cochise said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255248) said:
@Fade-To-Black said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255240) said:
@Lauren said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255225) said:
@Fade-To-Black said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255218) said:
@Lauren said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255176) said:
@TheKhan said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255051) said:
I don't understand the argument about the Australian Anthem being offensive to indigenous players. The argument is redundant once a player accepts a place on the team, Its State of Origin. A competition exclusively between 2 Australian states. So we have the indigenous welcome to country ceremony ( I believe) and then its OK to wear the jersey of an Australian State and accept Australian currency as payment but once the nations anthem is played its suddenly rage inducing and emotionally over whelming to be reminded that the continent was colonized and then the nation of Australia was formed 200 + yrs ago. im not writing this with contempt or trying to be dismissive im trying to understand the problem

I feel like most are failing to see some of the message that the players have been attempting to get across, and that it's rarely been touched upon due to the outrage.

Yes the anthem being non-inclusive of Indigenous culture and history is often brought up, but other than a couple of articles I've never seen any dialogue about the other issues the players wish to bring attention to - particularly Indigenous Youth incarceration and suicide - and can't believe people make a bigger deal because they don't want to sing it.
Irregardless of any personal opinions of them, the players are pillars of their community - and perceived highly as role models for many children - and if they wish to use this platform to bring vital awareness to the outlined circumstances, why does their Indigenous heritage or the causes close to them become invalid due to them receiving payments?

People are incarcerated because they break the law. Regardless of colour or race.

A 10 year old boy walking home on sundown because he stayed later than he was supposed to - just to play some footy with friends or relatives - is not breaking the law. You'd actually be surprised that this is the reality for a lot of Aboriginal kids from FNQ and many remote Aboriginal communities.
And please don't even try to bring parenting or any other thing into it, because no one deserves that.

Again, people are usually incarcerated for breaking the law. Shame on me for having that belief.

Why are indigenous indigenous incarceration rates higher than the general population?

I doubt they are higher, but there ratio may be higher in areas, where they live.

I have lived in the outback, once they have the grog in them, they are bad (hence why some areas a grog free), so are whites, but not in the numbers that they are.

I don't think anyone is denying they have there problems, but imo, they have to get past what happened 200ys ago, life and values were completely different compared to today.

The original words to the anthem were Australian sons.- we were
instructed in schools to change the lyrics to Australians all to make the song more inclusive- initially,I recall,that Australia has daughters as well.
and people from all over the world who now call Australia home
could be represented as well.
To dodge any controversy,why dont television cameras focus on the crowd and not the players? that would be more inspiring than watching blokes chewing gum like the grand final last week.
As a democracy,people don't all think and act the same-as a television audience,I dont need to see what a footballers political stance regarding the anthem.- why highlight what they think with closeups?

@Celtic_Tiger said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255134) said:
@Russell said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255118) said:
@Celtic_Tiger said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255076) said:
If you really loved Australia you would respect and fully embrace

I think "If you really loved Australia you would respect and fully embrace" OUR National Anthem.

Are we not all Australians, or only some of us, or only on certain occasions.

If the indigenous players do not want to sing the National Anthem - then they should stay in the sheds until the Anthem has been sung - that way they won't be disrespectful to the Athem or offensive to the majority of Australians that DO respect it.

It’s not OUR national anthem and excludes an important part of our community.

When we have one then we can expect all Australians to respect it

@Celtic_Tiger said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255134) said:
@Russell said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255118) said:
@Celtic_Tiger said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255076) said:

I think "If you really loved Australia you would respect and fully embrace" OUR National Anthem.

If the indigenous players do not want to sing the National Anthem - then they should stay in the sheds until the Anthem has been sung - that way they won't be disrespectful to the Athem or offensive to the majority of Australians that DO respect it.

The lack of a bagpipe solo is a slap in the face for the Scottish immigrant community that helped build this nation.

@eyewondertwo said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255255) said:
The original words to the anthem were Australian sons.- we were
instructed in schools to change the lyrics to Australians all to make the song more inclusive- initially,I recall,that Australia has daughters as well.
and people from all over the world who now call Australia home
could be represented as well.
**> To dodge any controversy,why dont television cameras focus on the crowd and not the players? that would be more inspiring than watching blokes chewing gum like the grand final last week.**
As a democracy,people don't all think and act the same-as a television audience,I dont need to see what a footballers political stance regarding the anthem.- why highlight what they think with closeups?

Ratings. You forget the media don’t really give a rats. It’s all about revenue. Controversy drives revenue.

@Harvey said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255258) said:

The lack of a bagpipe solo is a slap in the face for the Scottish immigrant community that helped build this nation.

Funnily enough as a member of the Scottish immigrant community I'm fine with the lack of a bagpipe solo however I have to say it would improve a pretty dire song.

Have the Welcome to Country, have the anthem. Those who wish to acknowledge either, both or neither are free to do so.

If we are indeed free as the anthem declares, people are free to do as they please without victimisation.

It's quite simple really.

Sing it like the NZ Anthem in both languages. I have heard a version and it sounds great. Sure there are a lot of different aboriginal dialects but a line has to be drawn.

@TigerWest said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255251) said:
@cochise said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255248) said:

I doubt they are higher, but there ratio may be higher in areas, where they live.

I have lived in the outback, once they have the grog in them, they are bad (hence why some areas a grog free), so are whites, but not in the numbers that they are.

I don't think anyone is denying they have there problems, but imo, they have to get past what happened 200ys ago, life and values were completely different compared to today.

That is about as ignorant as anyone can be on the subject, from your first words through to your last.

![Screenshot_20201030-140905_Gallery.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1604027948699-screenshot_20201030-140905_gallery-resized.jpg)

@Fade-To-Black said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255223) said:
Political correctness is funny to watch sheep following sheep.
Apart from that it is just laughable

No, sheep listen to certain radio stations, read Murdoch press and watch sky after dark.

@formerguest said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255424) said:
@Fade-To-Black said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255223) said:

No, sheep listen to certain radio stations, read Murdoch press and watch sky after dark.

Spot on

@formerguest said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255423) said:
@TigerWest said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255251) said:

That is about as ignorant as anyone can be on the subject, from your first words through to your last.

![Screenshot_20201030-140905_Gallery.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1604027948699-screenshot_20201030-140905_gallery-resized.jpg)

Maybe best to read what I write instead of getting on a high horse

i think we should change it to Black Betty. The Leadbelly version not the Spiderbait version. Maybe get the players to do some choreography to it.

@Flash089 said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255444) said:
i think we should change it to Black Betty. The Leadbelly version not the Spiderbait version. Maybe get the players to do some choreography to it.

Can't be having Black Betty.
The title would have to be changed to" neutral skintone non gender specific person." Bam-ba-lam.

@Go_You_Good_Things said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255460) said:
@Flash089 said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255444) said:

Can't be having Black Betty.
The title would have to be changed to" neutral skintone non gender specific person." Bam-ba-lam.

that rolls off the tongue....

Probably due to the fact many of them don't respect nor abide by "white fella law" so they do not think twice about breaking it. That would account for a big percentage IMO.

@formerguest said in [NRL bans the Australian anthem from SoO series](/post/1255424) said:

of course
its ABC and SMH that you are "allowed to listen too " oh and watch Q&A got it

I attended an Anzac Day Ceremony in our district and the RSL Sub Branch played God Save The Queen. I refused to sing. As an ex-serviceman, to play the. Anthem of another country on such an occasion was offensive.

I can empathise with these young men wanting to honour their heritage and culture.

Back