NRLW General Discussion

As it stands, Thursday, March 2 is the date clubs have been advised is most likely for the NRL competition’s kick-off. It’s the earliest the competition has started in over 20 years.
We have now got a bigger NRLW comp and the WT are included in it but I can't seem to find any info on their proposes start to the season. If someone has found info pls share.
This is a big deal for our club and we need to get the jump on promoting this adventure for the girls.
Wests Tigers claimed their maiden Harvey Norman Women’s Premiership after a thrilling 21-20 victory over the Cronulla Sharks at Campbelltown Sports Stadium and I suspect that this team will make up the majority of the new NRLW side next year.

View attachment 2819
The Official Weststigers Webpage doesn't have anything in the teams dropdown panel atm, just the Mens NRL and KOE Teams.
I'm hoping WT can start putting in confirmed signings and profiles/pictures soon to create more interest and excitement.
The girls will be using the COE so it's go go go.
There likely won't be any news for a fair while yet. Maybe in the new year

I'm sure they have a squad or close to it. It would be embarrassing if they didn't, besides, the NRL wouldn't accept them into the comp without assurity of their depth.
Why can't they put the names in and where there are spots to fill just put a silhouette, Why wait. Build some momentum and interest. Put the profiles up.
I'm sure they wouldn't have more than 1-2 players signed to nrlw contracts. Eg Bo. Season doesn't start for another 6-8 months, anyone contracted gets paid. Hence contracts won't get signed until training is closer to starting, except maybe big name players on marquee contracts.

Last edited:
I'm sure they wouldn't have more than 1-2 players signed to nrlw contracts. Eg Bo. Season doesn't start for another 6-8 months, anyone contacted gets paid. Hence contracts won't get signed until training is close to starting, except maybe big name players on marquee contracts.
Good points. Oh well, I'm sure the WT know what they are doing. 😉

I'm sure they have a squad or close to it. It would be embarrassing if they didn't, besides, the NRL wouldn't accept them into the comp without assurity of their depth.
Why can't they put the names in and where there are spots to fill just put a silhouette, Why wait. Build some momentum and interest. Put the profiles up.
Players can not be signed for next season yet.

Lol, you are a little passive aggressive.

NRLW players can only sign 12 months contracts and all players will be off contract soon.

Pretty sure you're allowed to sign 1 (Maybe 2) Marquee Players on multi year deals...
Believe Penitani signed on for the Eels for the 22/23 Seasons earlier this year....

Pretty sure you're allowed to sign 1 (Maybe 2) Marquee Players on multi year deals...
Believe Penitani signed on for the Eels for the 22/23 Seasons earlier this year....
Yeah, I think she may have been the first one, we can't sign any until a certain date this month. I can't remember the date.

Yeah, I think she may have been the first one, we can't sign any until a certain date this month. I can't remember the date.
Any word on whether Sergis and Apps are partially contracted due to being contracted to the Harvey Norman’s team.

In addition is the HN comp running in parallel?

Any word on whether Sergis and Apps are partially contracted due to being contracted to the Harvey Norman’s team.

In addition is the HN comp running in parallel?
No, we would need to sign them away from the Roosters and dragons.

Harvey Norman is the level below and will be played earlier in the year. I expect we will have sides in both.

HARVEY NORMAN WOMEN'S PREMIERSHIP

Women's team shortlisted for major award​

AuthorWests TigersTimestampThu 24 Nov 2022, 09:45 AM

Share on social media​

Wests Tigers Harvey Norman Women’s team has been shortlisted as a finalist in the ‘team of the year’ category at the 2022 NSW Sports Awards.

The honour follows the team’s golden-point grand final win over Cronulla Sharks at Campbelltown Sports Stadium in July, which earned Wests Tigers a maiden NSW Women’s Premiership title.

Maiden premiership for Wests Tigers Harvey Norman Women's team
Maiden premiership for Wests Tigers Harvey Norman Women's team
The NSW Sports Team of the Year Award, however, is about much more than on-field success.

The judging also takes into consideration several other aspects about the team, and its overall success.

It looks at the role the team played in talent progression at the club, its effect on grass roots participation, the growing profile and recognition of its players, and how it engaged with its local community.

Wests Tigers Women's players and community staff at NSW Youth Week
Wests Tigers Women's players and community staff at NSW Youth Week
On all these fronts, Wests Tigers Harvey Norman Women’s team has excelled.

Team Manager Jessica Schwartz has recently taken up a position at Wests Tigers as Pathways Operations Manager. Schwartz previously spent countless hours volunteering her time to help our Harvey Norman Women’s team to be the best it could be.

Smiles all round for Wests Tigers HNW team manager, Jess Schwartz
Smiles all round for Wests Tigers HNW team manager, Jess Schwartz
Jess was nominated as Wests Tigers’ Ambassador for NRL Women in League Round in 2022, and was also named Wests Tigers Woman of the Year at the club’s Kelly-Barnes Awards night.

Schwartz believes the team’s success, on and off the field in 2022, played a key role in the club being admitted to the NRLW in 2023.

“There are so many reasons to sing the praises about this team and these players,” said Schwartz.

They are passionate about setting an example for young women.
Jess Schwartz
"They selflessly give up their time to engage with our community at charity events, hospital visits, kids’ clinics and more.”

Captain Botille Vette-Welsh and friends at Wests Tigers Picton Community Day
Captain Botille Vette-Welsh and friends at Wests Tigers Picton Community Day
When asked about the team’s role in talent progression and player pathways at the club, Schwartz provided some glowing stats.

“About 90% of this year’s team were local juniors, including Campbelltown twins Emily and Sophie Curtain,” said Schwartz.

We also had players make their HNW debuts who came through our Tarsha Gale (U/19s) team, including Balmain junior Imogen Gobran and Leumeah local, Losana Lutu.”

Schwartz says Lutu is a classic example of talent progression.

"Losana made her Harvey Norman debut with Wests Tigers, she was selected for the NSW U/19s State of Origin team and was one of eight of our players picked up by NRLW clubs in 2022.”

Losana Lutu celebrating grand final glory with Kezie Apps
Losana Lutu celebrating grand final glory with Kezie Apps
Schwartz says the premiership-winning team’s on-field success in 2022 is more than matched by its off-field endeavours.

“These players are ambassadors for Wests Tigers and rugby league who continue to drive awareness and make positive social change,” she said.

The club proudly celebrates the team’s success.
Jess Schwartz
"I am sure this was a major factor in Wests Tigers being granted an NRLW license next year.”

Wests Tigers Women's players at recent all girls footy clinic in Bradbury
Wests Tigers Women's players at recent all girls footy clinic in Bradbury
Head of Pathways at Wests Tigers is Matthew Betsey, who is equally proud of the the team's achievements.

He says there is a clear link between their off-field work and growth in grass roots participation.

"They are all heavily invested in community programs to drive participation," said Betsey.

At a recent clinic run by our women's team there were more than one hundred girls involved."
Head of Pathways, Matthew Betsey
Our team is in pretty good company in the ‘best team’ category with the likes of NRL Premiers, Penrith Panthers and NBL Champions, Sydney Kings, also in contention.

NSW Sports Awards Team of the Year finalists

Team Sport
Australian Junior Men’s Coxed FourRowing
NSW Women’s Origin TeamRugby League
Penrith Panthers Rugby League
North Cronulla Open Beach Relay TeamSurf Lifesaving
Sydney Kings Basketball
Wests Tigers Women's Team Rugby League
The 2022 NSW Sports Awards are NSW’s highest sports honours and the 12 category winners will be revealed at the prestigious rebel NSW Champions of Sport Ceremony at the International Convention and Exhibition Centre in Darling Harbour on Monday, November 28.

The new seasons for our HNW team and our Tarsha Gale Cup side (U/19’s) commence in March, 2023.

2023 will also see Wests Tigers field a team in the NRLW for the very first time.

Latest posts

Back