Ongoing thread regarding Tactics and Statistics

Needaname

A lot of ‘Player threads’ and our rolling ‘Signing Suggestion and Rumours’ thread gets derailed some times with talk about Tactics.
Defence / Attack, individually etc.

Would be worthwhile to keep a rolling thread that can be updated for discussion.

Thoughts?

Comparing the Chooks and Tigers is like comparing what it takes to make the bacon and eggs. A huge part of the roosters game is their aggressive kick returns, while our kick returns generally start with a hop skip and sidestep 15 metres from the closest defender. It sets the theme for the rest of the set.

We are near on last in the league for kick returns and kick return meters.

We must fix that. The chooks had around 360 krm last night and we’re lucky if we get 60. Too much focus on the last play of the set and not enough on the first imo.

That is true, we spend a lot of time in our backs bringing the ball up. Whilst it has a lot to do with how deep the opposition get us on play 1 (due to their field position end of their set) it’s still an error we need alot of work in.
Starts and finishes with our forwards in my opinion.

Forwards put kick pressure on, turn and chase back and also are available to help the set.

When I played, it was always known as a backs set and we’d have the fullback, take the return not dropping a winger under, the winger on the (side of possession) take the next, centre then backrower same side and lock to finish to ensure our halfback gets the best play the ball for a decent kick.

@twentyforty

Get the basics right first and foremost......dont give away repeat sets or STUPID penalties....

^ is it that simple.
I wanted to discuss something that was a focus of an article recently regarding how teams are approaching the new rules from a defensive stand point.
What was in that article was very interesting and from kick off last night I noticed one team uses this approach and the other one doesn’t.

The article highlights total effective tackles per team.
Whilst we are well down in this catergory obviously. What might not be obvious to some in that we are in the top four statistically for offloads conceded.

Digging further into the article and it has a chart detailing the number of players used in each tackle and the total effective tackles for each of the listed amount of players in each tackle.

No surprise after finding that we are high for offloads conceded was it to find that we are highest (of total tackles) for 3 man tackles.

Watching the game last night, I watch both sets of defence and noticed the roosters would either use two man with a third to finish off but would also control it so that there was never a tackler out of play.

Parramatta had a much more aggressive approach and threw a lot more men into their tackles with guys doubling back to either marker or the line.

Roosters found alot of love going up the guts.

Is this a one off thing or is this a tactical approach ensuring that more of the line either side of the play is set?

@needaname said in [Ongoing thread regarding Tactics and Statistics](/post/1430137) said:
^ is it that simple.
I wanted to discuss something that was a focus of an article recently regarding how teams are approaching the new rules from a defensive stand point.
What was in that article was very interesting and from kick off last night I noticed one team uses this approach and the other one doesn’t.

Whilst we are well down in this catergory obviously. What might not be obvious to some in that we are in the top four statistically for offloads conceded.

Digging further into the article and it has a chart detailing the number of players used in each tackle and the total effective tackles for each of the listed amount of players in each tackle.

No surprise after finding that we are high for offloads conceded was it to find that we are highest (of total tackles) for 3 man tackles.

Watching the game last night, I watch both sets of defence and noticed the roosters would either use two man with a third to finish off but would also control it so that there was never a tackler out of play.

Parramatta had a much more aggressive approach and threw a lot more men into their tackles with guys doubling back to either marker or the line.

Is this a one off thing or is this a tactical approach ensuring that more of the line either side of the play is set?

Can you post the article ?

Really interesting to see that we're 8th on the table for % of possession.

https://www.nrl.com/stats/teams/?competition=111&season=2021&stat=9

That's a big improvement on last season and gives me a bit of confidence for the run home.

@boonboon said in [Ongoing thread regarding Tactics and Statistics](/post/1430167) said:
@needaname said in [Ongoing thread regarding Tactics and Statistics](/post/1430137) said:
^ is it that simple.

Can you post the article ?

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/26/how-the-crackdown-on-high-shots-may-be-helping-manly-and-cronulla/

Latest posts

Back