Other Goal kicking options?

if we are going to go with lawrence, then he should start kicking asap to warm up for the finals. on the other hand, if they drop marshall, would that affect his confidence? as though the team has no faith in his kicking?

@Torbizlo said:
if we are going to go with lawrence, then he should start kicking asap to warm up for the finals. on the other hand, if they drop marshall, would that affect his confidence? as though the team has no faith in his kicking?

after one off night with the boot he doesnt deserve to be dropped…his boot has been solid for 10 weeks up until last night. he seemed to be rushing his kicks in my opinion and the leichardt fans screaming down his neck sure didnt help. id rather be booed that cheared while concentrating...

@flash said:
Lets give it to Fitzhenry, he's no good at anything else and Sheens needs another excuse to keep him in the team. Not that he will ever run out of them.

It makes about as much sense as his selection every week!!

:laughing: That's the funniest thing I've read in ages!

Goal kicking is a confidenence thing and Benji is not there yet. I have watched benji fairly closely and he is does not seem to have a routine preparation. Look at the very accomplished goal kickers, Soward, Gordon etc. When they line the ball up they have have EXACTLY the same prep no matter from 15 metres out right in front or from the sideline. Benji's preparation for the one he kicked on Monday night was different (slower and more measured).

another point to note are that due to our expansive play, we score lots of tries in the corners - never going to make it easy for percentages.

I am not sure if anyone else has noticed but when Benji kicks well he kicks the ball well it goes very, very high from the boot. On Monday night his trajectory was lower and his accuracy deserted him. To me this a preparation thing and he needs to ensure that the ball is placed correctly everytime.

Basically goal kicking is a bit like golf - the swing etc is really only a result of how you have addressed the ball, your stance etc

@izotope said:
he had been improving, had a deadset shocker tonight.
i don't like how sheens said they'll bring in the kickign coach now.. he should bloody be working on it all year!!!!!!!

He said the kicking coach will be in again 'tomorrow'. The kicking coach has been working on/off with Benji for most of the year, it's not something they are just starting because of an indifferent night on Monday.

I do agree his goal kicking was disappointing on Monday night and could've cost us the game, but against the Titans, Broncos and Raiders (second time) his goal kicking was a far cry from where it was say about round 4,5,6\. Something Marshall has worked on and IMO is still a work in progress. As long as we keep the wins ticking over, goal kicking may not become a crisis.

yeah he's kicked 45 from 72 according to the NRL site, but his kicking has improved, he didn't miss the goals on monday night by wide margins, hopefully it will keep getting better

@Tigerdave said:
yeah he's kicked 45 from 72 according to the NRL site, but his kicking has improved, he didn't miss the goals on monday night by wide margins, hopefully it will keep getting better

Yeah, before the Cowboys game his percentage was at something like 67% which is decent considering the various positions he's had to kick from.

@citizen cub said:
before the Cowboys game his percentage was at something like 67% which is decent considering the various positions he's had to kick from.

All kickers have to kick from everywhere, but I know what you're getting at - Tigers tend to score out wide a lot.

I'd be very happy to see somebody else do the kicking. I'm in disbelief that the kicking is not taken seriously and Tim isn't panicking yet. El Masri proved the importance of a good goal kicker - the Dogs won so many matches on his kicking.

I'd be happy to see Lawrence doing it. If he can, give him the gig.

Back