Papua New Guinea will have a team in QLD Cup next year

Blake93

Rugby League Week
It's OFFICIAL! Papua New Guinea will have a team in the Intrust Super Cup (QLD Cup) in 2014!

The title says it! Should be very interesting to see how they go

Good move by the Qld Cup

The crowds will be nuts and they will draw big crowds

Maybe the Tigers should look at being a feeder side , we could possibly get some huge benefits

@happy tiger said:
Good move by the Qld Cup

Maybe the Tigers should look at being a feeder side , we could possibly get some huge benefits

Are they actually gonna play their home games in PNG though? I would of thought the cost involved for travel etc would be pretty steep for such a ho-hum competition (not having a dig at it but it wouldn't really be a comp with huge revenue).

@Fade To Black said:
@happy tiger said:
Good move by the Qld Cup

Are they actually gonna play their home games in PNG though? I would of thought the cost involved for travel etc would be pretty steep for such a ho-hum competition (not having a dig at it but it wouldn't really be a comp with huge revenue).

FTB they will get more than double what all the other sides combined will in a weekend

I reckon they will play their home game at Port Moresby or some in Lae

@Fade To Black said:
@happy tiger said:
Good move by the Qld Cup

they play home games in NZ, PNGs not much further.

@pHyR3 said:
@Fade To Black said:
@happy tiger said:
Good move by the Qld Cup

Qld Cup has never to my recollection played any games in NZ pHyR3 :confused:

@happy tiger said:
@pHyR3 said:
@Fade To Black said:
@happy tiger said:
Good move by the Qld Cup

Qld Cup has never to my recollection played any games in NZ pHyR3 :confused:

Think he may be referring to NSW Cup and the Vulcans

It's a bit of a stretch comparing NZ and PNG.
IMO I would love to see png eventually have an nrl side but home ground is always going to be their problem. It'll take lots of convincing to get someone to move to Port Moresby.

@happy tiger said:
@Fade To Black said:
@happy tiger said:
Good move by the Qld Cup

FTB they will get more than double what all the other sides combined will in a weekend

No doubt they will get big crowds. There will also be big crowds of police at their home games too! Will be interesting to see how the team goes.

@Sabre said:
IMO I would love to see png eventually have an nrl side but home ground is always going to be their problem. It'll take lots of convincing to get someone to move to Port Moresby.

Not if you already live there, like i'm sure practically their entire squad will do so…

@happy tiger said:
@Fade To Black said:
@happy tiger said:
Good move by the Qld Cup

The ground at Port Moresby is being redeveloped (about time too!). I forget where they said they'd play next year. Somewhere in PNG anyway. Plan is to play out of Lloyd Robson from 2015.

@Balmain Boy said:
@Sabre said:

Not if you already live there, like i'm sure practically their entire squad will do so…

Which is fairly limiting isn't it

@Balmain Boy said:
@Sabre said:

If their entire squad comes from PNG then I would expect that the PNG side will never be successful

_Posted using RoarFEED 2013_

@cqtiger said:
@Balmain Boy said:
@Sabre said:

If their entire squad comes from PNG then I would expect that the PNG side will never be successful

The PNG national team did better than us when playing South Sydney. Once they get NRL grants, play together for longer periods of time and generally boost the game in the country they will do well. Not to mention their home ground advantage.

not to mention the….perhaps not fear, but reluctance in playing them because every team knows that even if they win they are in for a physical battering.

@pHyR3 said:
@cqtiger said:
@Balmain Boy said:
@Sabre said:

The PNG national team did better than us when playing South Sydney. Once they get NRL grants, play together for longer periods of time and generally boost the game in the country they will do well. Not to mention their home ground advantage.

not to mention the….perhaps not fear, but reluctance in playing them because every team knows that even if they win they are in for a physical battering.

They will need some hardened NRL players to be successful in the NRL

Even the Broncos couldn't make the Top 8 with players like Lewis ,Miles ,Langer ,Dowling ,Neibling ,Conescu ,Kerrod Walters , Matterson , ,Renouf ,Hancock ,Kilroy, Mark Hohn Carne Colin Scott ,Chris Johns when they entered the comp in 88

@happy tiger said:
@pHyR3 said:
@cqtiger said:
@Balmain Boy said:

They will need some hardened NRL players to be successful in the NRL

**Even the Broncos couldn't make the Top 8 with players like Lewis ,Miles ,Langer ,Dowling ,Neibling ,Conescu ,Kerrod Walters , Matterson , ,Renouf ,Hancock ,Kilroy, Mark Hohn Carne Colin Scott ,Chris Johns when they entered the comp in 88**

We all know that Queensland teams are hopeless Happy :smiley:

Wouldn't think too many blokes would be keen to relocate themselves and live in PNG unless they are getting paid squillions. That will be a massive hurdle for the PNG team to overcome if they are to be successful and attract world-class players to their team.

Well, I think that if PNG can hold their own against souths at redfern, then once they get 10 mil into the system each year and more money from tickets and the like then they will be able to employ top end nutritionists, trainers, coaches etc. and also be able to train together as a team more often.

Give em a few years and they'll probably make the 8.

Also, people are forgetting they will grow as an economy a lot quicker than Australia. They grew i think 7-9% in the last few years. At 7% they will triple in size in 16 years and that's about when we should realistically be considering putting them in the NRL as a team, perfect place to expand due to their love for the game.

The problem is going to be the area and people not wanting to play/live there.
But I suppose Bankstown have a team so it's possible.

The only reason to put a team in PNG is so the game can grow internationally. What would be the point if most of the players were Aussies? Would the Warriors have support from the fans if they were mostly Aussies? Nope. Would the locals really get 100% behind a PNG team if there weren't any locals in the team??

If they are as fanatical is it seems, home ground advantage will count for something. The PNG national team only just lost to France overnight. If the national team made up most, if not all the players in the PNG club side then they could be competitive. Give them some money to invest in the game, get not only quality full time coaches, but physios, conditioners etc and see how they develop in a professional full time environment.

In any case we'll see how they go in the QLD cup next year. That is a barometer of sorts, but as there's no money in QLD cup it may not give a valid indication of their full potential as their ability to have all their best players play for them (rather than in England or other clubs in Australia) would be financially impossible.

Latest posts

Back