Pathways archives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a Balmain supporter, but enjoyed watching these boys. Shame they didn't win the comp in 1978. They had a really good side. Got nailed by Manly in the Preliminary final from memory. Controversial game?
The wild bunch , their bonding sessions and celebrations legendary ( from what I’ve heard).
And they could play a bit as well !

The wild bunch , their bonding sessions and celebrations legendary ( from what I’ve heard).
And they could play a bit as well !
I guess any team with a coach( Masters) whose nickname was/is “Thirsty” could drink !
I sat next to him on a plane to Japan once and they had to pour us off in Tokyo. It was a very good session, I think.

Who's that in the middle?
Looks like the late Gary Dowling RIP.

Tragically killed in a car accident out Bourke way during the 81 82 off season. Remember us kids talking about it at school.

Could've been a reason why Garry Jack was not signed or released or left for better opportunities with Balmain. Wests had Dowling, Wayne Smith and Greg Cox who could play FB.....Dowling had already represented Australia.

Last edited:
I guess any team with a coach( Masters) whose nickname was/is “Thirsty” could drink !
I sat next to him on a plane to Japan once and they had to pour us off in Tokyo. It was a very good session, I think.
Saw Masters chatting to Bellamy after a game in Melbourne a few years ago wearing a Vodka Cruiser polo top.

In 2006 Rick Wayde organised a Controversy Corner night at WA in the auditorium which is now the Garden Restaurant.

Anyway, there was in the panel Tim Sheens, Roy Masters, and tbe late Ferris Ashton and Noel Kelly.

Great night mid week after the event i picked up Roy's new signed book and he had his daughter with him who about my age knew more about the Maggies than me.

Anyway, the key reason she was there was probably to drive him home.....knowing what type of night it would be he sunk quite a few and had a hearty grin.

Last edited:
I was a Balmain supporter, but enjoyed watching these boys. Shame they didn't win the comp in 1978. They had a really good side. Got nailed by Manly in the Preliminary final from memory. Controversial game?
Got rorted in 78.

In 79 went from 1st to 4th late because our big 5 were getting poached by Manly.

80 was a big show but injuries and suspensions shagged us during the finals.

Bit like Balmains 85 to 89 era.

Last edited:
Got rorted in 78.

In 79 went from 1st to 4th late because our big 5 were getting poached by Manly.

80 was a big show but injuries and suspensions shagged us during the finals.

Bit like Balmains 85 to 89 era.
Ray Brown John Dorahy Les Boyd to stinking Manly .That was the beginning of the end also Graham Ogrady went to Newtown I never got over it

Don't think I've got that one, perhaps I have with all the old mags and papers in old suitcase in garage.

Super pic.

Ribot loved us. Didn't do anything for us in the 90s but hearing him interviewed by Sterling a few years back he has never forgotten us.

We were privileged to witness that era albeit without a premiership.

People don't know what they missed out on.
John Ribot was my first Fav player as a kid. He really new how to use the heavy roller.

Ray Brown John Dorahy Les Boyd to stinking Manly .That was the beginning of the end also Graham Ogrady went to Newtown I never got over it
Add Tommy to the Jets. It all happened over a 4 week period before the finals where they signed......And we lost all 4 including FG losses to both GF teams. Still finished 4th.

So what do we do? We sign new legends like Warren Boland, Ribot, Ted Goodwin RIP. Lamb, Leis, McLeod......unearth Alan Neil, Cooper RIP, Leabeater, Arber.

And nearly win in 80. Suspensions to Goodwin, Merlo and Donnelly around finals and injuries during finals to Boland and Jeffries and with Giteau, Ribot and Lamb playing busted, that crueled us.

91 was a glimpse but 80 was the last real chance.

Last edited:
It certainly was controversial - that weasel Hartley was ref. He disallowed a Graham O'Grady try from a short kick next to the posts ruling O'Grady was in front of the kicker - O' Grady was the player who kicked the ball in to the in goal. Friggin cheat.

This was a lecture Roy Masters gave in 2005 about the Fibro V Silvertails era. Good read if you are interested in that time in Rugby League.

Ripper article DP. Those were the days eh !
Most of our young pups now just wouldn’t get it
One very humorous remark from John “Chalky” Gray, Manly and GB hooker.
“ We all hopped on the bus after the game and drank beer together”.
What happens on the field stays on the field, that used to be the norm. But not anymore.

Ripper article DP. Those were the days eh !
Most of our young pups now just wouldn’t get it
One very humorous remark from John “Chalky” Gray, Manly and GB hooker.
“ We all hopped on the bus after the game and drank beer together”.
What happens on the field stays on the field, that used to be the norm. But not anymore.
Yea they were good days. Masters is a great communicator - he brings to life what rugby league was like in the 70s. I loved how when he mentioned the Parramatta fans how they had really good tattoos and so did their husbands. Lol.

Watching my first live matches then, gotta say everything since is a rather hard act to follow from them days.

Wests were the rebels, the Robin Hood RL club using rough methods to bring some type of justice to rugby league.

Lots of people identified with that iconic image of the underdog against the establishment that was standing up for themselves and winning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back