OFFICIAL Pathways - KOE General Discussion

I think he’s building his game and confidence. Probably not ready to make an impact at NRL level but we don’t have a lot to lose.
I wonder if it’s time to give him a chance at lock in firsts. Maybe he can add that spark as a ball playing lock to help our attack click.

I wonder if it’s time to give him a chance at lock in firsts. Maybe he can add that spark as a ball playing lock to help our attack click.

I would give him a shot next week. I love Pole and he is a big part of the reason our forwards are getting on top but we need some x factor.

I would give him a shot next week. I love Pole and he is a big part of the reason our forwards are getting on top but we need some x factor.
Same. I was thinking of starting with Pole at lock, bring Matamua on after 20-25 mins & from their Pole joins the prop rotation. Simpkin, Twal, Matamua & Blore to make up our bench. Give the kids a go & see if they can make a difference.

Matamua is still only 19. Think if he can play 15ish games this year, 10 or so in NSW cup and 5 or so in first grade, it will be a good year for his development. No point slogging him to death every week in NSW cup - he has shown he is better than that level already - and needs another off season before ready to really rip in at first grade.

Matamua is still only 19. Think if he can play 15ish games this year, 10 or so in NSW cup and 5 or so in first grade, it will be a good year for his development. No point slogging him to death every week in NSW cup - he has shown he is better than that level already - and needs another off season before ready to really rip in at first grade.

If he is viewed seriously as part of the future give him a crack even off the bench. He would add more value than Simpkin off the bench and could be a straight replacement for Pole

If he is viewed seriously as part of the future give him a crack even off the bench. He would add more value than Simpkin off the bench and could be a straight replacement for Pole
Exactly, for him to progress his game he needs to start playing every week from off the bench, and if a ball playing lock is what we want then Pole shouldn’t be starting lock either. Can Bateman play lock and start the game there and that would then get Batemans hands on the ball more in better attacking positions.

Sukuru n Osia (?) are big boys in the back line,sooner they get their NRL smarts the better

Here is my take on Saturday's NSW Cup performance:

Daine Laurie - looks good in attack as the 2nd receiver, some effort plays in defence when Souths scored highlight why he's in Cup, unless he's already gone I'd play him at 5/8 and give Pellow time at FB.

Livai Saukuru & Israel Ogden - I had high hopes for both especially Livai with the physical attributes they can bring but too prone to errors & low IQ plays. Livai doesn't get involved enough despite what he physically he can do. It makes me think these two either lack the desire/hunger to play NRL or lack the mental fortitude & concentration to go to the next level.

Triston Reilly - he seems to be a slow burn doing many good things now in both attack & defence, but will come up with a bad read or play. I don't think he would be any better or worse than Oliver Gildart if he had to play NRL and maybe worth keeping him until the end of his contract as a player 30 in the squad. I don't thionk another club would take him to absorb the final year of his contract.

Tony Pellow - good first game except for that brain explosion play-the-ball. Showed ball skills & good defence. Keen to see how he develops in this group.

Will Smith - terrible 2nd half, he needed to show leadership to stop the rot in the 2nd half but didn't.

Shawn Blore - back far & away the best player on the park when he was on, ready to return to NRL with his improved fitness & timing.

Justin Matamua - quietly going about his business but would like him to show more of his ball skills to take a game by the scruff of the neck. Makes me think the coaches have asked him to work on aspects of his game including defence. He could easily get a gig on the NRL bench if injuries happen.

Atasi James - a few more games like this to show the coaches he has developed his week-on-week consistency & he could debut in the latter rounds. I just feel he needs to add a bit more bulk in the off-season to increease his effectiveness as that explosive middle.

Jack Boyling & James Roumanous - tremendous NSW Cup players at this point in time, would love to see them maintained for next season too as we need these types in reserve grade.

Brandon Mansfield - does this guy have a niggle we don't know about? After a great game 3 weeks ago, he has been sparingly used since. Has the attributes to be a very good NRL backrower.

Seyfarth - ultra consistent, just lacking that bit of leg drive, hip power to be more of a tacklebreaker, wouldn't argue against him getting another 1 year NRL contract on lower end wage to see if he can work on his leg power in the off-season.

Rua - not sure why he isn't using his running game, maybe a directive from above that he is taking to the extreme, something just doesn't seem right with him atm but was given the captaincy, not a good captain's performance in the 2nd half.

Fainu - disappointing the lack of minutes this guy is getting compares to Roumanous given Fainu is NRL contracted. Maybe a reason off-the-field or on the training paddock for this???

Look forward to other forum member insights on these guys.

Latest posts

Members online

Back