OFFICIAL Pathways - KOE General Discussion

Reilly is looking better in attack. I was watching his defence NRL left side defence is really bad. Unfortunately all the tries were scored in nsw cup left side too... now I am not sure how much Reilly had to do with that as the winger was jamming in a lot and is also usually a centre. Other games I've seen Reilly defend well.

Like others said blore is putting his hand up for first grade

Matamua unsure about his game

Laurie would be good for our attack just unsure how he would defend in the spots he is more likely to get like centre?

Blore, Laurie and Riley.

Blore surly isn’t far off from getting into first grade, he stood out the most to me.

Laurie looks really good in attack, but from what I seen on the weekend, didn’t put his body on the line in defence.

Riley looked good in attack and defended well, made that try look easy. Saved two try’s from being scored but that left winger kept jamming in.

I dunno how they let south’s come back with the scoreboard at half time.

Will smith needs to take some leadership, that kick he done on 3rd tackle with 30 seconds to go was stupid.

Here is my take on Saturday's NSW Cup performance:

Daine Laurie - looks good in attack as the 2nd receiver, some effort plays in defence when Souths scored highlight why he's in Cup, unless he's already gone I'd play him at 5/8 and give Pellow time at FB.

Livai Saukuru & Israel Ogden - I had high hopes for both especially Livai with the physical attributes they can bring but too prone to errors & low IQ plays. Livai doesn't get involved enough despite what he physically he can do. It makes me think these two either lack the desire/hunger to play NRL or lack the mental fortitude & concentration to go to the next level.

Triston Reilly - he seems to be a slow burn doing many good things now in both attack & defence, but will come up with a bad read or play. I don't think he would be any better or worse than Oliver Gildart if he had to play NRL and maybe worth keeping him until the end of his contract as a player 30 in the squad. I don't thionk another club would take him to absorb the final year of his contract.

Tony Pellow - good first game except for that brain explosion play-the-ball. Showed ball skills & good defence. Keen to see how he develops in this group.

Will Smith - terrible 2nd half, he needed to show leadership to stop the rot in the 2nd half but didn't.

Shawn Blore - back far & away the best player on the park when he was on, ready to return to NRL with his improved fitness & timing.

Justin Matamua - quietly going about his business but would like him to show more of his ball skills to take a game by the scruff of the neck. Makes me think the coaches have asked him to work on aspects of his game including defence. He could easily get a gig on the NRL bench if injuries happen.

Atasi James - a few more games like this to show the coaches he has developed his week-on-week consistency & he could debut in the latter rounds. I just feel he needs to add a bit more bulk in the off-season to increease his effectiveness as that explosive middle.

Jack Boyling & James Roumanous - tremendous NSW Cup players at this point in time, would love to see them maintained for next season too as we need these types in reserve grade.

Brandon Mansfield - does this guy have a niggle we don't know about? After a great game 3 weeks ago, he has been sparingly used since. Has the attributes to be a very good NRL backrower.

Seyfarth - ultra consistent, just lacking that bit of leg drive, hip power to be more of a tacklebreaker, wouldn't argue against him getting another 1 year NRL contract on lower end wage to see if he can work on his leg power in the off-season.

Rua - not sure why he isn't using his running game, maybe a directive from above that he is taking to the extreme, something just doesn't seem right with him atm but was given the captaincy, not a good captain's performance in the 2nd half.

Fainu - disappointing the lack of minutes this guy is getting compares to Roumanous given Fainu is NRL contracted. Maybe a reason off-the-field or on the training paddock for this???

Look forward to other forum member insights on these guys.
Good summary.
I’d say Blore and Seyfarth are definitely good enough to be NRL top 17 regulars, but not sure who they replace as the forwards have been our strength.
Mansfield has plenty of X-Factor, he’s possibly a better attacking option than Papali’i and Bateman if given a chance.
James would no doubt add some hard running impact to our NRL bench if given the chance.
Matamua no doubt has talent, but he is not yet standing out enough in this grade to warrant an NRL spot ahead of the others listed above.
Saukuru doesn’t look comfortable on the wing, his defensive reads in particular are terrible. However he’s a very strong runner of the ball, I think it’s possible he can become an effective NRL centre IF he fixes up his defensive reads.
Reilly is no doubt improving, but wouldn’t say he’s as dangerous an attacking threat to what Saukuru is as a centre.
Laurie always shows glimpses of class, but doesn’t play with near enough energy for his smaller stature. I agree he should be given more time in the halves as he went well in his one and only game there for us.

Last edited:
Triple-header at Leichhardt this Saturday with JerseyFlegg and NSWCup taking on Penrith, before the side faces the Cowboys. NSW Cup first game with Flegg the NRL curtain-raiser, assuming to align with Fox League schedule, anyone can't make it - (Cup shown live this weekend).

Here is my take on Saturday's NSW Cup performance:

Daine Laurie - looks good in attack as the 2nd receiver, some effort plays in defence when Souths scored highlight why he's in Cup, unless he's already gone I'd play him at 5/8 and give Pellow time at FB.

Livai Saukuru & Israel Ogden - I had high hopes for both especially Livai with the physical attributes they can bring but too prone to errors & low IQ plays. Livai doesn't get involved enough despite what he physically he can do. It makes me think these two either lack the desire/hunger to play NRL or lack the mental fortitude & concentration to go to the next level.

Triston Reilly - he seems to be a slow burn doing many good things now in both attack & defence, but will come up with a bad read or play. I don't think he would be any better or worse than Oliver Gildart if he had to play NRL and maybe worth keeping him until the end of his contract as a player 30 in the squad. I don't thionk another club would take him to absorb the final year of his contract.

Tony Pellow - good first game except for that brain explosion play-the-ball. Showed ball skills & good defence. Keen to see how he develops in this group.

Will Smith - terrible 2nd half, he needed to show leadership to stop the rot in the 2nd half but didn't.

Shawn Blore - back far & away the best player on the park when he was on, ready to return to NRL with his improved fitness & timing.

Justin Matamua - quietly going about his business but would like him to show more of his ball skills to take a game by the scruff of the neck. Makes me think the coaches have asked him to work on aspects of his game including defence. He could easily get a gig on the NRL bench if injuries happen.

Atasi James - a few more games like this to show the coaches he has developed his week-on-week consistency & he could debut in the latter rounds. I just feel he needs to add a bit more bulk in the off-season to increease his effectiveness as that explosive middle.

Jack Boyling & James Roumanous - tremendous NSW Cup players at this point in time, would love to see them maintained for next season too as we need these types in reserve grade.

Brandon Mansfield - does this guy have a niggle we don't know about? After a great game 3 weeks ago, he has been sparingly used since. Has the attributes to be a very good NRL backrower.

Seyfarth - ultra consistent, just lacking that bit of leg drive, hip power to be more of a tacklebreaker, wouldn't argue against him getting another 1 year NRL contract on lower end wage to see if he can work on his leg power in the off-season.

Rua - not sure why he isn't using his running game, maybe a directive from above that he is taking to the extreme, something just doesn't seem right with him atm but was given the captaincy, not a good captain's performance in the 2nd half.

Fainu - disappointing the lack of minutes this guy is getting compares to Roumanous given Fainu is NRL contracted. Maybe a reason off-the-field or on the training paddock for this???

Look forward to other forum member insights on these guys.
Thanks for the comprehensive post.
It really helps the out of towners get to know the younger players we have coming through, and although some opinions may differ on players, generally opinions are similar on the really good and the really average players.

Good summary.
I’d say Blore and Seyfarth are definitely good enough to be NRL top 17 regulars, but not sure who they replace as the forwards have been our strength.
Mansfield has plenty of X-Factor, he’s possibly a better attacking option than Papali’i and Bateman if given a chance.
James would no doubt add some hard running impact to our NRL bench if given the chance.
Matamua no doubt has talent, but he is not yet standing out enough in this grade to warrant an NRL spot ahead of the others listed above.
Saukuru doesn’t look comfortable on the wing, his defensive reads in particular are terrible. However he’s a very strong runner of the ball, I think it’s possible he can become an effective NRL centre IF he fixes up his defensive reads.
Reilly is no doubt improving, but wouldn’t say he’s as dangerous an attacking threat to what Saukuru is as a centre.
Laurie always shows glimpses of class, but doesn’t play with near enough energy for his smaller stature. I agree he should be given more time in the halves as he went well in his one and only game there for us.
Good to hear how our lower grade forwards have some skills and x factor enough to be considered good enough for nrl but we can’t find a spot in the 17 for them, says to me that our forwards roster management has gone well and we can now focus on retaining them and getting some quality depth in the backline.

The Knock On Effect NSW Cup - Round 12 vs. Panthers

Saturday, May 20 - 12:40 p.m. AEST
Leichhardt Oval, Sydney

WESTERN SUBURBS MAGPIES

1. Daine Laurie
2. Livai Saukuru
3. Semisi Kioa
4. Triston Reilly
5. Israel Ogden
6. Tony Pellow
7. Will Smith
8. Aitasi James
9. Rua Ngatikaura (c)
10. Tukimihia Simpkins
11. Brandon Tumeth
12. Brandon Mansfield
13. Justin Matamua

14. Manaia Cherrington
15. James Roumanos
16. Sione Fainu
17. John Tuivaiti

18. Aden Perry
Coach: Wayne Lambkin

Is this correct, Flegg after KOE?
Yes, NSW Cup is shown live on Fox/Kayo this week before the NRL games start, so because NRL is at 5:30, Flegg will be played in between Cup and NRL.

The Knock On Effect NSW Cup - Round 12 vs. Panthers

Saturday, May 20 - 12:40 p.m. AEST
Leichhardt Oval, Sydney

WESTERN SUBURBS MAGPIES

1. Daine Laurie
2. Livai Saukuru
3. Semisi Kioa
4. Triston Reilly
5. Israel Ogden
6. Tony Pellow
7. Will Smith
8. Aitasi James
9. Rua Ngatikaura (c)
10. Tukimihia Simpkins
11. Brandon Tumeth
12. Brandon Mansfield
13. Justin Matamua

14. Manaia Cherrington
15. James Roumanos
16. Sione Fainu
17. John Tuivaiti

18. Aden Perry
Coach: Wayne Lambkin
Hopefully big minutes for Mansfield this week. Need to get him some game time to help his development.

Looking at our wings/centres is still a massive worry depth wise for us. Such a shame we lost our 2 speedy wing options in Ngutlik and Hill for the season.

How is James Roumanos going?
In my opinion very good.
Not just because of their heritage, but he reminds me a lot of Alex Twal.
I don’t think there would be much difference in their size and stature, both are very strong with a great work ethic and both have good leg speed when carrying the ball.
Not a match winner, but works hard for his team, makes good yardage and appears to be a strong defender.
He could play NRL without a problem without letting anyone down.

The fact that the same backs are still getting picked shows how awful our recruitment has been.

Ogden is just terrible. Drop him now, don't look back. Terrible hands, poor attitude, lazy. Basically the same for Saukuru, only he's finally better.

Kioa is average. Reilly cannot read defence. Sure, his front on defence is ok but he's a million miles out of position all the time. None of these boys will ever come close to NRL.

Smith at halfback is atrocious. Pellow gets more time to show what he can do.

Laurie had another fairly invisible match. He can't do anything to stand out in NSW cup, his days in the NRL with us are done. Put him in the halves with Pellow.

The pack is solid, the rotations are atrocious. Most bench players would be lucky to see 10 mins each week, hookers aside.

We're just a complete mess at this level. And we have absolutely no one pushing for a promotion from flegg as we haven't recruited any quality at that age either. So many dumb, lazy players, and they get rewarded with selection every week.

We're literally waiting on 16-18 year olds to come good to fill up our flegg, Cup and then NRL squads.

Blore was great, James solid, Matamua ok, not involved enough. Rua needs to be making 10+ runs a match

Last edited:
Good try by Reilly following good lead up work from Laurie inside him. Think Laurie could play 5/8 in nrl but issue is he is only a left side player as is Brooks

Latest posts

Members online

Back