Phil Gould - world's most annoying man

Yossarian

I know there have been previously threads about the guy in the past but fair dinkum I felt like throwing the radio out the window. He spent the last 10 minutes of the game repeating "They're gone the Tigers" "They've got nothing". Even when the head commentator was trying to call the game so people listening could get an idea for what was going on in the last few minutes he just kept gibbering the same two lines.

Gus can be a very good judge of the football sometimes but it is just buried by the pile of manure that flows out whenever he calls a game. Thank God I've got Foxtel (I wasn't home last night) because that MMM coverage is dead set ordinary.

Spot on Yossarian, I lost any respect I had for the man when he was bleeting on about pride comittment and loyalty after soo2 but ruled out his return to coaching the blues to protect his record and his status as an authority. He himself showed the least amount of courage , the least amount of pride and absolutly no loyalty. Yes sir that ,to me, makes him the worlds most annoying man

yep
as with a lot of stuff gould says. very annoying in the way he says it.
but he's right.

Even sheens said afterwards that he thought we were going to lose that game at the end.

It's not so much if he was right (he probably was), it's the fact he said it non-stop. Okay make your point and move on. Seriously it was the only thing he said during the final 5 minutes - you really have to listen to it to get a full feel of how bad it was. You couldn't even hear if the Manly conversion went over at 19-16 or what was going on in the game during the final couple of minutes

@hybrid_tiger said:
I don't know why Gould cops so much stick.

He was 100% spot on. We were gone, completely out on our feet.

its because he goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about the same thing. Whilst he is often right he is still annoying with his delivery.

Iam amazed every media story, print and radio has said how manly lost it, were unlucky and we were lucky. I was at the game and for sixty minutes we were by far the better side, a couple of half chance went begging that could have made the score anything. Okay Manly did come home hard and fast, but IMO the refs eased up on them and gave them plenty of leeway to launch their assault. It would have been nice for a media outlet to paint the true story for once and give some credit to a team who have been on the wrong end of more than fair share of bad luck in 2009\. Back to the post Yes Gould is a pain in the butt but usually he spends a lot of time giving us good publicity so I can live with him on this occasion.

I like the no credit.

We are getting the job done without the attention that sometimes gets the better of the boys (or has in the past)

That and it keeps them hungry to keep looking for that extra yard, that extra effort in a tackle etc. etc.

The know the next two weeks are now a big danger

@Geo. said:
And we won imagine that….

Imagine what? He was still right either way.

I don't know why so many people get worked up about media coverage. Personally I couldn't give a stuff if we aren't being backslapped or praised. Quite frankly we don't deserve it.

Let them praise the Dragons and Manly - they'll both fall flat on their arse eventually.

I too get annoyed by Gould. The tragedy is he loves the game, understands it better than most and wants to see it flourish. Most footy fans would agree with many of the points he raises about the game. Yet he is turning into an A-grade whinger, so much so that I watch Channel 9's coverage on mute.

I dont mind him as a commentator, he's passionate about the game, and most of the time he is right.

As far as him going on and on goes, there are a lot more things in life that i get annoyed at then just that.

@armchair expert said:
@hybrid_tiger said:
I don't know why Gould cops so much stick.

He was 100% spot on. We were gone, completely out on our feet.

its because he goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about the same thing. Whilst he is often right he is still annoying with his delivery.

Spot on. Anyone who thinks I am being harsh should listen to the final 5 minutes of the MMM call last night. A thousand times worse than his usual TV effort which is usually not too bad.

@smeghead said:
I like the no credit.

We are getting the job done without the attention that sometimes gets the better of the boys (or has in the past)

That and it keeps them hungry to keep looking for that extra yard, that extra effort in a tackle etc. etc.

The know the next two weeks are now a big danger

Shall we use the Hasler line of "flying under the radar"?

Couldn't agree more Yosi, unfortunately I don't have Fox and had to endure his rambling, it's a shame though because he has such a great footy brain but people switch off listening to him after 5 mins.

In saying that he loves the Tigers and I lost count of how mant times he said it leading up and during the telecast, he is obviously a good judge of talent… :smiley:

i know exactly what you mean, yossi. he completely gives me the _[INSERT PROFANITY HERE]_ !
i admit he hasnt been as bad recently, but he used to always seem SO anti tigers to me and that goes against the hope that commentators can be objective. i swear, he mustve been overlooked when sheens got the job.
but recently he has been ranting that he wants the tiges on 9 every sunday (i dont, because i have foxtel so i can see them!) and i like to hear him excited when the guys are putting on a show.
i will also say that one point he has repeatedly (as always!) made is his opinion against night games and the effect of dew on handling, and therefore the game overall. i completely agree with him on this.

…but he still annoys me!
\
\
actually, he reminds me of ian chappell when he used to commentate. everything was how HE would do it and gould puts across that he was the most amazing coach ever and what he thinks is the be all and end all of rugby league.

Latest posts

Back