Potter confirms changes for Round 7

Coaches always plan future. Austin is tigers future he is only young and he can see a future with all the young guys we have just has to wait this yr Great backup. Remember when we lost a half and Robbie had to step in. ??????

@TJL said:
I'd have Austin at 9 since the hooking role has been dead for twenty years. Hookers these days are like half-backs and Austin deserves better than reserve grade.

Hookers do need to be able to tackle for 80mins though. Farah usually makes 30 to 40 tackles a match. Can you really imagine Austin being able to do that and then still be sharp in attack?
For me, Potter has made the right call - replace a hooker with a hooker.

^ Of course Austin couldn't, he has not trained to do anything like the hooking role and the defence alone would be beyond him.

As much as I like Austin in the team, Potter has made the best call this week. The team has a history of not handling key changes well at all, so keeping the disruptions to a minimum will help.

It will still be a big test though.

Did anyone really think we'd go into the next few rounds with a spine of

Rowe
Austin
Brooks
Luani

A combined total of like 20 NRL games!!?

Way too inexperienced. Definitely need Anasta in there to provide some leadership and experience. He's played much better this season. The halves last weekend were all over the shop. Fairly poor kicking game, a lot of wrong options taken and a lack of direction on the park.

If Robbie was fit Austin would have had a much better chance of playing but he's still quite erratic.

I think Austin could be quite effective in attack at 9, and certainly give the side more options. Personally I would have tried it but the defensive workload is the big question. On the other side of the coin I can see why Luani gets the gig, it does make sense and he's a pretty solid 9\. I think the forward pack will look after itself, it's the backline plays I'm more worried about as we really need Anasta to take on more responsibility so it isn't left solely up to Brooks.

@Tigersmurf said:
@Eddie said:
@thesquid said:
@Eddie said:
Your right he was never really going to ditch him. I just really want Anasta to step up now. That doesn't mean "guiding players" and "using his experience" I want to see actions of his own accord on the field. These include making more runs, having a better kicking game and making more incisive passes.

We cannot afford games of 1 run, 8 metres, 8 tackles, 2 errors.

This will be inexcusable for an experienced player and potential captain.

You had better not go to nrlstats for game history. We need Anasta to step up, but frankly, he just doesn't have the skill in him to do it.

This is that worries me. People speak about all these intangibles

"experience", "guidance", "level head" "great captain"

To me they speak about these things because there is nothing tanglible in his game to be worthy of praise. He was such a great leader at the Chooks they turfed him and won a comp 12 months later. He had a great spell in late 2010 but was pretty awful form wise for 5 years at the Roosters.

I want to see much much better then 1 run, 8 metres, 8 tackles, 2 errors. I see these sorts of stats way to often for a guy people give praise to.

I want to see him leading from the front with actions not these subjective intangibles.

I can tell you now that you probably won't get better stats than that…and I am fine with that. I just want Braith to steer the team around the park. **You can have players with all the skill in the world but if they can't kick into the corner on the last and get the ball back then whats the use.**

Braith is by no means anywhere near my favorite player, but he is the player most worthy of captaincy. Both he and the Tigers risked a lot bringing him here, give him a chance to make it worthwhile and prove he has not player two years too long.

Yes, yes and YES Tigersmurf! This is the exact reason I like having Anasta in the side. Too many years of fancy plays on the last tackle, only to see them backfire on us with the opposition scoring. I still have nightmares of that hail Mary play on the last, taking place right in front of me, in the semi against the Warriors :brick: I have really enjoyed watching the difference in this area this year, due mainly to Anasta's presence - it's so much better for the heart also lol.

@TJL said:
I'd have Austin at 9 since the hooking role has been dead for twenty years. Hookers these days are like half-backs and Austin deserves better than reserve grade.

As long as you played Anasta or Fulton in the defensive role that Farah would perform you could do that

The concern would if you start asking Austin to make 30-40 tackles a game is he loses his effectiveness in attack

Having spent a fair bit of time at lock, you'd think Austin knows how to tackle. But then again he has lost a lot of weight to play in the halves, but he's still around the 100kg mark apparently?!

Thats funny Flip as we were having that exact conversation in the office this morning. My boss is a mad dragons fan and I told him they lost it when they went for the magic play with 3-4 minutes left and it was ruled a forward pass to Harrison.

The play was to hit up for 5 and kick in goal for a repeat set - not try an inside ball and see if they can score to put the game out of reach.

Melbourne have the players with their heads screwed on that can control a game at the end. Its just experience I guess..

@Tigersmurf said:
Thats funny Flip as we were having that exact conversation in the office this morning. My boss is a mad dragons fan and I told him they lost it when they went for the magic play with 3-4 minutes left and it was ruled a forward pass to Harrison.

The play was to hit up for 5 and kick in goal for a repeat set - not try an inside ball and see if they can score to put the game out of reach.

Melbourne have the players with their heads screwed on that can control a game at the end. Its just experience I guess..

Dragons were always going to struggle when they lost Farrell and then the player who replaced Farrell

Storm just kept hammering that right side until they cracked

Took 81 minutes but it finally paid off Thats what you call playing smart

@Tigersmurf said:

Yes and that's why Melbourne have been so successful for so many years. Sure there are times for those sort of magic plays, but not when you're the team in front with only 5 or 10 minutes to go. The onus is on the team behind on the scoreboard to come up with the big play and for the team in front to keep them backpedaling, imo. Some people may say this makes for boring football, but hey I rather my team be a bit boring and win most matches, then exciting and lose 9 times out of 10\. I think we've had too many years of heart palpitations and disappointment. I, for one, am enjoying the more mature last tackle options being played out so far this season.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back