Prime Minister's XIII Side v PNG

weststigers4life

Woods and Lawrence named in Prime Minister's XIII to play in Port Moresby
Tuesday 11 September 2012 12:21 PM

Wests Tigers players Aaron Woods and Chris Lawrence have been named in the Prime Minister's XIII to take on Papua New Guinea in Port Moresby on Sunday, September 23.
It will be the first international representative jersey for Woods who earlier this year represented City Origin.
It will be Lawrence's third trip to Papua New Guinea, having represented the Australian Prime Minister's XIII's team in 2007 and '08.
Both players said they were extremely pleased when they heard the good news.
“It’s pretty special when you’re picked in any sort of Australian side so I’m really looking forward to it,” said Lawrence.
LAWRENCE: 'I'M REALLY PLEASED FOR WOODSY"
“I’m pretty stoked as I didn’t think it would happen. It’s something you always dream of as a kid. I’ll take it with both hands and can’t wait for the opportunity,” Woods added.
The full team is:
1\. Darius Boyd (Newcastle Knights)
2\. Akuila Uate (Newcastle Knights)
3\. Jamal Idris (Gold Coast Titans)
4\. Chris Lawrence (Wests Tigers)
5\. Michael Jennings (Penrith Panthers)
6\. Lachlan Coote (Penrith Panthers)
7\. Scott Prince (Gold Coast Titans)
8\. Aaron Woods (Wests Tigers)
9\. Andrew McCullough (Brisbane Broncos)
10\. Ben Hannant (Brisbane Broncos)
11\. Matt Gillett (Brisbane Broncos)
12\. Feleti Mateo (NZ Warriors)
13\. Corey Parker (Brisbane Broncos)
14\. Peter Wallace (Brisbane Broncos)
15\. Tim Mannah (Parramatta Eels)
16\. Josh Maguire (Brisbane Broncos)
17\. Ben Te'o (Brisbane Broncos)
18\. William Zillman (Gold Coast Titans)
The players will assemble in Sydney on Thursday for medicals.
Members of the Prime Minister’s XIII and the following players have also been selected in the VB Kangaroos’ train-on squad for the end-of-season Test against New Zealand at Townsville’s Dairy Farmers Stadium on October 13.
Justin Hodges (Brisbane Broncos)
Sam Thaiday (Brisbane Broncos)
Paul Gallen (Cronulla Sharks)
Wade Graham (Cronulla Sharks)
Bryce Gibbs (Cronulla Sharks)
Greg Bird (Gold Coast Titans)
Nate Myles (Gold Coast Titans)
PREVIOUS STORY
Lawrence: “I’m really proud of Woodsy”
\
\
\
_Posted using RoarFEED 2012_

@foreveratiger said:
Good on Bryce Gibbs for getting in the train on squad , wish he never left us.

Agree with you about Gibbsy forevertiger, well done also to Woods and Lawrence.

Can only further improve Woods to be playing alongside these senior reps - well done!

Story by James Macsmith September 11,2012 Brisbane forwards Ben Hannant and Josh McGuire and Wests Tigers prop Aaron Woods are set to battle for a possible Australian front-row berth when they play for the Prime Minister's XIII against Papua New Guinea this month.
The team for the September 23 clash in Port Moresby was named today, with representatives from the six remaining teams in the NRL finals not considered.

Hannant, Woods and McGuire will fight it out for the fourth Kangaroos prop spot in the side for the end of season Test against New Zealand in Townsville on October 13.

David Shillington and Paul Gallen are the incumbent starting props following Australia's 20-12 victory in April's Anzac Test in Auckland.

But with Cowboys enforcer Matt Scott set to return to the starting side, Gallen likely to be shifted to the back-row and Test veteran Petero Civoniceva retired, there remains a position on the bench alongside James Tamou.

Hannant filled that interchange spot in April.

Lachlan Coote's impressive late-season efforts at five-eighth for Penrith have been rewarded with selection in the No.6 jersey.

Coote was only moved into a playmaking role at the Panthers by coach Ivan Cleary for the final six games of the NRL season following Travis Burns' lengthy suspension.

But the former fullback has since made the position his own and will play in the halves alongside Gold Coast halfback Scott Prince.

The Warriors' Feleti Mateo and Woods are the only two non-Broncos in the pack, with Matt Gillett and Corey Parker in the back-row, Andrew McCullough at hooker and Hannant completing a strong Brisbane presence.

St George Illawarra's Ben Creagh, Brett Morris, Trent Merrin and Beau Scott, Sydney Roosters pair Mitchell Pearce and Jake Friend, Tigers hooker Robbie Farah and Panthers duo Tim Grant and Luke Lewis were all unavailable for selection due to injury and post-season surgery.

Prime Minister's XIII: Darius Boyd, Akuila Uate, Jamal Idris, Chris Lawrence, Michael Jennings, Lachlan Coote, Scott Prince (capt), Aaron Woods, Andrew McCullough, Ben Hannant, Matt Gillett, Feleti Mateo, Corey Parker. Interchange: Peter Wallace, Tim Mannah, Josh McGuire, Ben Te'o. 18th man: William Zillman.
\
\

Judging by that PMs team, Farah will be in the Aussie team.

But seriously, how the hell does ANYBODY take Idris seriously? He has been close to the worst centre in the NRL for the past 2 seasons. Surely someone like Dane Gagai would be a better selection, you know, a kid who actually has talent.

EDIT: Didnt' see Farah was out due to injury, makes sense.

Well done Tigers - especially Bryce Gibbs. Would be ironic if Sheens coached him again, as a member of the Australian team! Are they on speaking terms?

wish them both the best of luck.

what happened to jarrod mullen? his end of season form was fantastic, and would have really loved for him to work wide off a dominant half.. also, wat about wallace? i really wanted to see wallace and mullen in the halves.

jennings would be a smokey on the wing for the australian side.

Michael Jennings has been named in the 2012 Australian Prime Ministers XIII side to take on PNG on Sunday, September 23\. Copyright: NRL Photos
Related Links
The latest finals news, views & videos
Updated Official 2012 NRL App available!
Official Club News Direct to Your Mobile at m.NRL.com
Play Toyota NRL Dream Team Finals
The Australian Rugby League Commission has today named the following players to represent the Prime Minister’s XIII against Papua New Guinea in Port Moresby on Sunday, September 23:

1 Darius Boyd Newcastle Knights
2 Akuila Uate Newcastle Knights
3 Michael Jennings Penrith Panthers
4 Chris Lawrence Wests Tigers
5 Beau Ryan Wests Tigers
6 Lachlan Coote Penrith Panthers
7 Scott Prince © Gold Coast Titans
8 Aaron Woods Wests Tigers
9 Andrew McCullough Brisbane Broncos
10 Tim Mannah Parramatta Eels
11 Ben Te’o Brisbane Broncos
12 Feleti Mateo NZ Warriors
13 Wade Graham Cronulla Sharks
14 Dan Hunt St George Illawarra Dragons
15 Martin Kennedy Sydney Roosters
16 Josh McGuire Brisbane Broncos
17 Matthew Ryan Parramatta Eels
18 Nathan Stapleton Cronulla Sharks

The Prime Minister’s XIII will assemble at Sydney’s Allianz Stadium at 10am tomorrow, Thursday, September 13, for team medicals.

The team will then assemble in Cairns on Thursday, September 20, before departing for Port Moresby on Friday, September 21.

Members of the Prime Minister’s XIII and the following players have also been selected in the VB Kangaroos’ train-on squad for the end-of-season Test against New Zealand at Townsville’s Dairy Farmers Stadium on October 13.

Justin Hodges Brisbane Broncos
Sam Thaiday Brisbane Broncos
Paul Gallen Cronulla Sharks
Greg Bird Gold Coast Titans
Nate Myles Gold Coast Titans
Luke Lewis Penrith Panthers
Robbie Farah Wests Tigers

Further players will be added to the VB Kangaroos’ train-on squad as teams are eliminated from the Telstra Premiership Finals Series.

Please note the following players have withdrawn from the train-on squad due to injury and post-season surgery: Ben Creagh, Brett Morris, Trent Merrin, Beau Scott (Dragons), Mitchell Pearce, Jake Friend (Roosters), Tim Grant (Panthers), Bryce Gibbs (Sharks), Jamal Idris, William Zillman (Titans), Ben Hannant, Matt Gillett, Corey Parker and Peter Wallace (Broncos).
\
\
\

Wests Tigers winger Beau Ryan has been called into the Prime Minister’s XIII side who play Papua New Guinea in Port Moresby on Sunday 23 September.
It will be Ryan’s first representative jersey and he will join team mates, Aaron Woods and Chris Lawrence who were named in the initial side that was announced yesterday.
Ryan has been named on the wing, replacing Jamal Idris who pulled out today due to injury.
Penrith’s Michael Jennings, who was named on the wing originally, will now play in the centres.
It will also be the first international representative jersey for Woods who earlier this year represented City Origin.
It will be Lawrence's third trip to Papua New Guinea, having represented the Australian Prime Minister's XIII's team in 2007 and '08.
Both Lawrence and Woods said they were extremely pleased when they heard the good news.
“It’s pretty special when you’re picked in any sort of Australian side so I’m really looking forward to it,” said Lawrence.
LAWRENCE: 'I'M REALLY PLEASED FOR WOODSY"
“I’m pretty stoked as I didn’t think it would happen. It’s something you always dream of as a kid. I’ll take it with both hands and can’t wait for the opportunity,” Woods added.
\
\

Congratulations to the Wests Tigers players selected, especially Woods and Ryan who have had excellent seasons. Massive chance for the Woodsman to grab a bench spot in the Australian team out of this. All he needs to do is play one of his normal games and I reckon that should be enough to outshine Hannant and Maguire.

I stand corrected, Hannant is now out also:

Injuries force changes to PM's XIII
September 12, 2012 - 3:57PM
\
\
A number of injuries have forced changes to the Prime Minister's XIII to play Papua New Guinea later this month.

Gold Coast's Jamal Idris (hip) and William Zillman (shoulder) and Brisbane quartet Ben Hannant (wrist), Matt Gillett (shoulder), Peter Wallace (shoulder) and Corey Parker (knee/shoulder) have all been ruled out of the September 23 clash in Port Moresby.

Penrith's Michael Jennings moves from the wing into Idris' centre spot, with Wests Tigers' Beau Ryan coming onto the flank.

Parramatta's Tim Mannah fills Hannant's frontrow spot from the bench and Ben Te'o replaces his Broncos teammate Gillett in the backrow, while Cronulla's Wade Graham comes in for Parker.

St George Illawarra's Dan Hunt, Sydney Roosters' Martin Kennedy, Parramatta's Matthew Ryan and Cronulla's Nathan Stapleton join the extended bench.

In addition Cronulla's Paul Gallen, Titans' Greg Bird and Nate Myles, Penrith's Luke Lewis and Wests Tigers' Robbie Farah have been named in Australia's train-on squad for the end of season Test against New Zealand.

Prime Minister's XIII: Darius Boyd, Akuila Uate, Michael Jennings, Chris Lawrence, Beau Ryan, Lachlan Coote, Scott Prince (capt), Aaron Woods, Andrew McCullough, Tim Mannah, Ben Te'o, Feleti Mateo, Wade Graham. Interchange: Dan Hunt, Martin Kennedy, Josh McGuire, Matthew Ryan, Nathan Stapleton.

Really happy for Beau. It's a top reward for a season that was his best yet. Fully deserved.

@pacey said:
Is the game televised ?
\
\

Damn I came on here looking for this info aswell, I think people would want to watch this on a Sunday arvo
\
\

Beaus that good that the Wests Tigers didn't want him. I can't believe it.Well done Beau, I hope you go out and blitz 'em. It's not gunna sound the same at the end of Beau Knows " and remember go the Cronulla Sharks". that just sounds shithouse.

Members online

Back