Racing tips, talk etc

Had a reasonable day, finished ever so slightly down, but close enough to say square.
I had a good bet at $10.00 on a horse called Marcolt which got beaten a pimple. That would have put me well in front. Buts that’s racing.
I attend every Melbourne metro meeting so
am there regularly.
Like the fishos, I love it, especially now retired so can put in a fair bit of time to form etc.
but I do only bet within my means and never bet on credit, tried that years ago and got burnt, and never bet on horses to lose. I’m purely a win only bettor.
Ps. Yeah 25% is a good multiplier, usually 5 or 10 %. And thanks for asking about my day, hope you ended up in front.

Ps. Yeah 25% is a good multiplier, usually 5 or 10 %. And thanks for asking about my day, hope you ended up in front.
Yeah, a little in front, probably 25% on top of today’s stake. I don’t follow the horses to much. My uncles follow them and send me tips. They discuss what’s going down and uncle 1 filters out the better ones for me, and uncle 1’s bro in-law is a pro punter, mostly bet’s rural, and we get his tips too. I can read a form guide so I will checkout their tips, apply what I know and go from there. I have been getting a lot of tri’s doing that. After I’ve had a read I will sometimes send back what I reckon to uncle 1, but they don’t really listen to me. I told em about Don Quixote r4 at newy today and neither got on him and they were spewing coz he was the best winner on the day. I was 25% up and they were both down. Also tipped them a tri and they weren’t on it.
I don’t bet big bucks either $5 to $20 range usually.

Had a reasonable day, finished ever so slightly down, but close enough to say square.
I had a good bet at $10.00 on a horse called Marcolt which got beaten a pimple. That would have put me well in front. Buts that’s racing.
I attend every Melbourne metro meeting so
am there regularly.
Like the fishos, I love it, especially now retired so can put in a fair bit of time to form etc.
but I do only bet within my means and never bet on credit, tried that years ago and got burnt, and never bet on horses to lose. I’m purely a win only bettor.
“I’m purely a win only bettor.”
By this do you mean no each way bets?on the nose only bets?

Correct, and no exotic bets eg tri, quinella, exacta , quaddies.
I do, however,like running doubles, parlays and daily doubles though, where I can use my win bet selections. 👌
Kool. We all have our own little systems and stuff.
I love hearing about others and their little betting quirks and systems.
I like getting a tip that is not the fav and boxing the tip with the fav and one or two that I pick after reading the form. I do ok out of it.
Had a mate who would only place bet. that use to do my head in. He did it for about 2’years.

Kool. We all have our own little systems and stuff.
I love hearing about others and their little betting quirks and systems.
I like getting a tip that is not the fav and boxing the tip with the fav and one or two that I pick after reading the form. I do ok out of it.
Had a mate who would only place bet. that use to do my head in. He did it for about 2’years.
Well I’ll share with you one of the ways I currently look for winners.
After scratchings, I look at the fixed odds market on the TAB for whatever meeting I’m interested in.
I am only looking at those horses 4.20-11.00 in the Fixed odds market. I ignore first up runners.
I then look for the horse with the best last start form. So a win is better than a 2nd etc. for instance if a horse at 5.00 ran 2nd at his last start but another horse at 10.00 won, then the second one is the selection.Form is the key, then price.
Sometimes there are equals. In which case I take the horse at the shorter price. So there may be three winners at 5.0, 7.0 and 8.0. Then I would back the horse at 5.0.
At other times you may have horses with the same last start form, at the same price, so I back them both and in some cases 3.
A bit of work is involved but once you get the hang of it, not too much.
I usually bet on every race in Syd, Melb, Bris and Adelaide at a set amount, unless I personally feel it could be a value bet, in which case I double it, which is what I did with Marcolt today at 10.0 in Melb.
I have other ways I do the form and make selections but the above is always my first priority.
The NSW Tab price of my winning bets today;
4.9, 10.7, 5.6,6.1,6.8, 5.2, 4.7 .
Total outlay 38 units Total Return 44.1 units, win +6.4 units ( 17% profit).
So you can see this method does not pick favourites.

After scratchings, I look at the fixed odds market on the TAB for whatever meeting I’m interested in.
I am only looking at those horses 4.20-11.00 in the Fixed odds market. I ignore first up runners.
I then look for the horse with the best last start form. So a win is better than a 2nd etc. for instance if a horse at 5.00 ran 2nd at his last start but another horse at 10.00 won, then the second one is the selection.Form is the key, then price.
Sometimes there are equals. In which case I take the horse at the shorter price. So there may be three winners at 5.0, 7.0 and 8.0. Then I would back the horse at 5.0.
At other times you may have horses with the same last start form, at the same price, so I back them both and in some cases 3.
I usually bet on every race in Syd, Melb, Bris and Adelaide at a set amount, unless I personally feel it could be a value bet, in which case I double it, which is what I did with Marcolt today at 10.0 in Melb.
I have other ways I do the form and make selections but the above is always my first priority.
PS. I bet based on the Fixed odds price, but I bet on the Tab price, which in most cases, but not all, ends up better than Fixed odds.

Kool Hal. Thanks for letting me in on that, I will have a better look at it all tomorrow. I don’t think my system is that thorough.

Kool Hal. Thanks for letting me in on that, I will have a better look at it all tomorrow. I don’t think my system is that thorough.
Hi, just to make this whole system thing real, I’ve just worked out the bets for Geelong today.
R1-1,2-8,3-9,4-3,5-1,6-3/5,7-1,8-4 Total 9
If you check the Tab website form it’s an example of how I end up with some of my bets.
Let’s hope I don’t end up with egg on my face, but if it happens it wouldn’t be the first time.
🤣🤣

Hi, just to make this whole system thing real, I’ve just worked out the bets for Geelong today.
R1-1,2-8,3-9,4-3,5-1,6-3/5,7-1,8-4 Total 9
If you check the Tab website form it’s an example of how I end up with some of my bets.
Let’s hope I don’t end up with egg on my face, but if it happens it wouldn’t be the first time.
🤣🤣
So to follow that it’s r2-n8, r3-n9, and so on till r6-n3 & n5?

you should try and frame your own market to look for value. I use the Don Scott method and weights and measures geberal rule is 1.5kg equal a length
Another rule I tend to use in Brisbane Saturday races is in a class 6 back the top weight with a 3kg claim

So to follow that it’s r2-n8, r3-n9, and so on till r6-n3 & n5?
Correct, just a quick way I write it.
Not necessarily suggesting you bet on them, just an example for you to show how it all works. Maybe just watch coz Sunday meetings can be tricky.
I’m not betting locally today, my only bets will be on Hong Kong races that I follow closely on Wed nights and Sunday. I love the racing over there.
If you’re interested my HK bets are;
R1-3,2-12,3-1,4-9,5-3,6-3,7-no bet,8-6,
9-10,10-11.
Just put them all on in my account. Getting the
prices is a little tricky coz Aussie Tab doesn’t have any fixed odds, but I have found an alternative and accurate( well normally)way !!!
I’m a bit hesitant coz I posted some tips, not my own, just after I first joined and they all lost.
I received a private note from a forumer who suggested I forget posting “crap” tips.
But these are all my own, and you seem interested, so we’ll see what happens.
👌👌

Thanks Hal for your little method of punting , love a punt so I’ve decided to try your method on an all up the place bet , I used your method and backed them for the place ,, same meeting , eg Is Sappire Coast r2/8, r3/7 , r5/10 , r6/3 , r7/16 , r8/5. I used sport bet fixed prices , l also left out races that were under 7 horses so I got 3 place option in each race , done the same at Murwillumbah I’ve also backed your Geelong selections but all up place , $ 2 outlay possible $ 735 return , , remember bet with your head. Happy punting today

you should try and frame your own market to look for value. I use the Don Scott method and weights and measures geberal rule is 1.5kg equal a length
Another rule I tend to use in Brisbane Saturday races is in a class 6 back the top weight with a 3kg claim
Hi JT, have tried that but as I usually end up with a singular bet I just follow my gut but keep an eye on the ring prices for what seem price anomalies.
But you and I both know bookies are not generous and quite often when my tip gets out to very good odds it usually doesn’t win.
I’m happy just plodding along, my target is 20% profit on turnover.
I learnt a very long time ago it’s a tough game and you can get badly burnt ! It’s just my
hobby now and keeps my aging brain active.
Cheers.

Hal if you post tips mate it’s up to the individual to bet them , it’s only a tip and we the punter do appreciate them , I have a tip for tomorrow at Newcastle Race 6 Harpers Jewel , my self and couple mates own 50% of her. Back each way as she has only just started racing , 2 starts so far and another or ours we have 50% is Forbidden Gemstone , 3 starts 9 , 1 , 4 She May go around for 1 more or spell just waiting on trainer to decide as it was her first prep keep an eye out for the girls as they are both bred by us over good stallions in Testa Rossa and Rubic , mum was ok we have owned her from 18 months old she got to the group 3 Gloming and is a Fastnet Rock Mare , again back our girls at your own desire

Thanks Hal for your little method of punting , love a punt so I’ve decided to try your method on an all up the place bet , I used your method and backed them for the place ,, same meeting , eg Is Sappire Coast r2/8, r3/7 , r5/10 , r6/3 , r7/16 , r8/5. I used sport bet fixed prices , l also left out races that were under 7 horses so I got 3 place option in each race , done the same at Murwillumbah I’ve also backed your Geelong selections but all up place , $ 2 outlay possible $ 735 return , , remember bet with your head. Happy punting today
Miy Sapphire Coast workout using Tab slightly different.
R1- no bet, 2-2,3-7,4-12,5-10,6-7,7-16,8/5
All up place is very ambitious and most unlikely to eventuate, don’t disagree with place aspect but not 7 in a row !!!’
Anyway, good luck.

Hal if you post tips mate it’s up to the individual to bet them , it’s only a tip and we the punter do appreciate them , I have a tip for tomorrow at Newcastle Race 6 Harpers Jewel , my self and couple mates own 50% of her. Back each way as she has only just started racing , 2 starts so far and another or ours we have 50% is Forbidden Gemstone , 3 starts 9 , 1 , 4 She May go around for 1 more or spell just waiting on trainer to decide as it was her first prep keep an eye out for the girls as they are both bred by us over good stallions in Testa Rossa and Rubic , mum was ok we have owned her from 18 months old she got to the group 3 Gloming and is a Fastnet Rock Mare , again back our girls at your own desire
Looks like there are a few punters out there. Thanks for the heads up, good luck with the horses and I will have a few “drachmas” on them myself
👌👌

Back