LIVE GAME Round 15 vs. Titans

Live Game Discussion
One blessing is probably the best surgeons in Australia to fix a broken jaw are based in QLD.

Sorry but didn’t he fly back to Sydney for surgery ???
I’m assuming club just sent him back to someone they usually deal with in Sydney….but if it was me and I was in qld, I’d probably just stay there for a day or two and get one of the guys there to fix it. It’s a pretty bread and butter operation for a maxillofacial surgeon though so someone in Sydney will still give him a good outcome and recovery.

I do this for a living. Standard person is 6 weeks out. There is no wiring anymore but will be plated and screws. If really pushed by the club and player you can use heavier plates etc and get him back in 4 weeks but it has its own risks associated.

Lawerance had midface not mandible fracture. The issue with that isn’t the bone healing, that would usually be fine with 6-8weeks, it’s likely the associated head injury associated with it, as the force for that injury pattern the face crumpled to protect the brain from serious damage.
Respect your expertise; however just on one thing, the SMH reported that he did break his jaw as part of the injury:
"He broke his jaw, his nose, both eye sockets, both cheekbones"

That's why I made comparisons between Lawrence's return timeframe (being possibly the worst facial injury) vs Api.

Reactions: BZN
Respect your expertise; however just on one thing, the SMH reported that he did break his jaw as part of the injury:

That's why I made comparisons between Lawrence's return timeframe (being possibly the worst facial injury) vs Api.
Illek was specifically referring to the mandible which is lower jaw. I don't know what Lawrence broke but perhaps it was the upper jaw?

What a player Chris Lawrence was. The epitome of loyalty, strength, and decency.
Wish we had a few more like him in our team atm.

Illek was specifically referring to the mandible which is lower jaw. I don't know what Lawrence broke but perhaps it was the upper jaw?
Possible; they aren't specific about it in the report.

Possible; they aren't specific about it in the report.
He had what’s called a lefort style fracture. It’s where you break the maxilla (top jaw), eye sockets cheekbones nose etc. much harder work to put together correctly compared to the lower jaw. He may have also broken his mandible at the same time but unlikely.

Main issue for api is he will be on purée foods for 6 weeks so keeping muscle mass on will be a challenge. Dietitian for the club will have their work cut out for them.

Last edited:
I do this for a living. Standard person is 6 weeks out. There is no wiring anymore but will be plated and screws. If really pushed by the club and player you can use heavier plates etc and get him back in 4 weeks but it has its own risks associated.

Lawerance had midface not mandible fracture. The issue with that isn’t the bone healing, that would usually be fine with 6-8weeks, it’s likely the associated head injury associated with it, as the force for that injury pattern the face crumpled to protect the brain from serious damage.
Many thanks @Illek

Is there a high risk of re Injuring???

Back