Round 16 team vs Warriors *Official*

In recent years, hookers are being coached to take 1 step and engage the first marker, which creates a channel in between the marker and A defender. If the forward runs the right line and gets the timing right it’s easy metres directly downfield. I think that’s what you are seeing from Liddle and Simpkin but our forwards rarely take advantage. Just thought I’d mention this as passing off the ground is not coached like it used to be. It’s still very relevant for a shift out wide. Bit of boring technical stuff before bed 🤣
My apologies up front for the length of this post. It is something I am passionate about.

Hookers - now we are talking something I know a little bit about. I played hooker for 36 years. A bit before A and B defenders were known as such but the role and art of being a hooker has changes little over that time. I wish I was good enough to have played at the elite level but I played with and against some of the best and could hold my own.

In my opinion a hooker either gets it or they don't. There isn't an in between. Always taking a step to pass the ball is a problem with many of today's players and today's "academy" coaching techniques. Templating how to play hooker should not be done - the key to developing hookers is to give them all of the tools to play the game and let them play on instinct. The key to being a good hooker (take away winning the ball back from the oppositions second row like us old timers were fond of) is to play with your eyes up; i.e. the ability to play what's in front of you.

Sure you can train an OK hooker but they will always be processing things - hooking is very much in the "even I don't know what I am about to do" playbook. As a result a lot of modern hookers play to patterns and as such take the step more times than not to engage the marker.

The key to success is to select the right attacking hooker tool based on an assessment of the speed of the play the ball, how set the markers are, the position of the A and B defender and finally what your team mates are wanting.

The aim is to make the markers and A defenders think all the time, and to make a defensive decision.

If you are playing close for a 1 up hit your runner wants to hit the back of the play the ball. One of the markers will be active and taking a step ties him up and generally allows the ball runner to hit the ad line and make some easy yards. A well drilled side will fill that space, but they usually get tired later in games so it is something that can be exploited. The forward pack, and wingers on the short side must always be pushing up so that this can be exploited.

If you get a quick play the ball the markers are not usually set so taking a few steps engages the A defender. This has the effect of pulling players in to force defensive decisions that create gaps or an overlap or alternatively allows you to turn the ball back into the void created behind the ruck. This is the classic Smith to Slater - Friend to Tedesco play. (Not something we see from our hookers and Laurie unfortunately). The key is knowing when to and which A defender to target and for the support play to be constantly pushing up.

If you are a student of Smith (now Grant), Cook, and Api you will see that when their respective teams are ready to throw "shape" out the back they always pass off the floor because they are targeting a different group of defenders.

A good hooker gets the team 50% of the way to bending or breaking the line, creating an overlap or gap by engaging the A defender or sets up "shape" though quick service. The big thing about being a hooker is that its very rarely about creating opportunities for yourself, its about observing the defenders and creating opportunities for others.

The rubbish about the halves having so much influence on the game is bullshit. It is sprouted by all of the halves that have become commentators. The hooker has their hands on the ball more than any other player and makes decisions on who to and when to pass off the ruck. They have the biggest bearing on the direction and pace of the team. That is why Smith could control a game so well and Brooks to hooker (without some intense training) is a joke.

Apart from the technical bits above, even in today's game, a good hooker is one of, if not the, most important player on the paddock. In addition to the attacking skill set outlined above they must be capable of playing the full game, unless you can afford to have a second hooker on the bench (luxury), they must be able to tackle everything that moves and they should have the ability to referee (ala Smith) as they are always in the referees back pocket.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Last edited:
My apologies up front for the length of this post. It is something I am passionate about.

Hookers - now we are talking something I know a little bit about. I played hooker for 36 years. A bit before A and B defenders were known as such but the role and art of being a hooker has changes little over that time. I wish I was good enough to have played at the elite level but I played with and against some of the best and could hold my own.

In my opinion a hooker either gets it or they don't. There isn't an in between. Always taking a step to pass the ball is a problem with many of today's players and today's "academy" coaching techniques. Templating how to play hooker should not be done - the key to developing hookers is to give them all of the tools to play the game and let them play on instinct. The key to being a good hooker (take away winning the ball back from the oppositions second row like us old timers were fond of) is to play with your eyes up; i.e. the ability to play what's in front of you.

Sure you can train an OK hooker but they will always be processing things - hooking is very much in the "even I don't know what I am about to do" playbook. As a result a lot of modern hookers play to patterns and as such take the step more times than not to engage the marker.

The key to success is to select the right attacking hooker tool based on an assessment of the speed of the play the ball, how set the markers are, the position of the A and B defender and finally what your team mates are wanting.

The aim is to make the markers and A defenders think all the time, and to make a defensive decision.

If you are playing close for a 1 up hit your runner wants to hit the back of the play the ball. One of the markers will be active and taking a step ties him up and generally allows the ball runner to hit the ad line and make some easy yards. A well drilled side will fill that space, but they usually get tired later in games so it is something that can be exploited. The forward pack, and wingers on the short side must always be pushing up so that this can be exploited.

If you get a quick play the ball the markers are not usually set so taking a few steps engages the A defender. This has the effect of pulling players in to force defensive decisions that create gaps or an overlap or alternatively allows you to turn the ball back into the void created behind the ruck. This is the classic Smith to Slater - Friend to Tedesco play. (Not something we see from our hookers and Laurie unfortunately). The key is knowing when to and which A defender to target and for the support play to be constantly pushing up.

If you are a student of Smith (now Grant), Cook, and Api you will see that when their respective teams are ready to throw "shape" out the back they always pass off the floor because they are targeting a different group of defenders.

A good hooker gets the team 50% of the way to bending or breaking the line, creating an overlap or gap by engaging the A defender or sets up "shape" though quick service. The big thing hooker is that its very rarely about creating opportunities for yourself, its about observing the defenders.....
Cheers n Beers
Jolls
What a great read to wake up to, I nearly choked on my weetbix I was so worked up.
You and I played the same era by the sounds of it.
As a centre nothing peeved me off more when we wanted the ball was to see a dummy half continually run sideways looking for hole runners.
You do that as a first option and the defense has an easy day. Also puts us centres under more pressure.
The thing that stood out in your post was eyes up footy, and I don't mean Noffa looking for the camera 🤣.
The best halves I've played with follow the ball carrier forward and are looking at the D structure, looking at the holes developing and how the line is being bent. He then has an idea what to do at the next ruck.
As a centre, we were taught to watch our ½ and the D and give the ½ the options he needs, stand deeper, hole run ect. You had to basically read the ½ backs mind.
This brings me to my last point in that cohesion between the ½ and outside backs is something that requires times and effort to develope. Changing the backs around all the time is disastrous imo.

What a great read to wake up to, I nearly choked on my weetbix I was so worked up.
You and I played the same era by the sounds of it.
As a centre nothing peeved me off more when we wanted the ball was to see a dummy half continually run sideways looking for hole runners.
You do that as a first option and the defense has an easy day. Also puts us centres under more pressure.
The thing that stood out in your post was eyes up footy, and I don't mean Noffa looking for the camera 🤣.
The best halves I've played with follow the ball carrier forward and are looking at the D structure, looking at the holes developing and how the line is being bent. He then has an idea what to do at the next ruck.
As a centre, we were taught to watch our ½ and the D and give the ½ the options he needs, stand deeper, hole run ect. You had to basically read the ½ backs mind.
This brings me to my last point in that cohesion between the ½ and outside backs is something that requires times and effort to develope. Changing the backs around all the time is disastrous imo.
Hey Cobar,it seems you and I both have had a fair bit of experience in the backline mate..I totally agree with your summation in regards to playing centre,albeit I played inside centre in Union at schoolboy level,representing my high school against a touring NZ school(Heretaunga College)...
I played a fair bit of outside centre when playing league...Most on here will remember those days of centre aside etc compared to these days of left and right centre...
The whole crusk of the matter is as you say,1/2 back dictated the play and speed of service,my job was to look for the gaps and holes to sprint through and serve the winger once I found the open ground,I always marked my man in defense otherwise it left a gap and made the wingers job hard to defend(2 on 1) for him...interesting how times change,but what hasnt changed are the basics of the game...always pass back,play the ball correctly,always tackle around the legs and dont give away stupid penalties that cost you ground and maybe the game....

A good hooker gets the team 50% of the way to bending or breaking the line, creating an overlap or gap by engaging the A defender or sets up "shape" though quick service. The big thing hooker is that its very rarely about creating opportunities for yourself, its about observing the defenders and creating opportunities for others.

The rubbish about the halves having so much influence on the game is bullshit. It is sprouted by all of the halves that have become commentators. The hooker has their hands on the ball more than any other player and makes decisions on who to and when to pass off the ruck. They have the biggest bearing on the direction and pace of the team. That is why Smith could control a game so well and Brooks to hooker (without some intense training) is a joke.

Apart from the technical bits above, even in today's game, a good hooker is one of, if not the, most important player on the paddock. In addition to the attacking skill set outlined above they must be capable of playing the full game, unless you can afford to have a second hooker on the bench (luxury), they must be able to tackle everything that moves and they should have the ability to referee (ala Smith) as they are always in the referees back pocket.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls
That was awesome. Thank you 😊

A good hooker gets the team 50% of the way to bending or breaking the line, creating an overlap or gap by engaging the A defender or sets up "shape" though quick service. The big thing hooker is that its very rarely about creating opportunities for yourself, its about observing the defenders and creating opportunities for others.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls
Great read

Cheers n Beers
Jolls
Agreed and well said, which is why I think having Api next year is going to improve the quality of our forward pack. He's a great little schemer.

I wonder how Fonua Pole will react emotionally and physicality wise in making his debut against the Warriors.
It's going to be a big stage in NZ not just for the Warriors but also for our boys like Zane Musgrove who's family and friends will be there.
Fonua couldn't have got a better scripted venue to make his debut at.
Growing up in Victoria and cutting his teeth playing Aussie Rules at school, he says he's so glad he found league and now has a chance to prove his worth.
Good luck son.

Hey mate, have you kept an eye on the current hookers at the club?

Do you rate any of them?
Hi TS

I live in a rural area so I don't get a chance to see the talent coming through so I can't really comment on the junior hookers. IMO Lids and Simpkin go OK, bottom half of the hooking stocks though. For mine they don't engage the defence enough so are usually pretty predictable (as we are in general). Hastings touching the ball so much makes their predictability even worse. I think they need to get a little further forward and really engage the marker and get the attention of the A defender. Behind a good pack I think they would probably rate as average - behind ours I think they are below average.

A season or two working with Api could bring them on.

Hi TS

I live in a rural area so I don't get a chance to see the talent coming through so I can't really comment on the junior hookers. IMO Lids and Simpkin go OK, bottom half of the hooking stocks though. For mine they don't engage the defence enough so are usually pretty predictable (as we are in general). Hastings touching the ball so much makes their predictability even worse. I think they need to get a little further forward and really engage the marker and get the attention of the A defender. Behind a good pack I think they would probably rate as average - behind ours I think they are below average.

A season or two working with Api could bring them on.

Thanks mate, let me know your thoughts on nu Brown after the weekend.

I'm interested to see if noddy has picked up on what you say too and if there is any changes at hooker.

Last edited:

A good hooker gets the team 50% of the way to bending or breaking the line, creating an overlap or gap by engaging the A defender or sets up "shape" though quick service. The big thing about being a hooker is that its very rarely about creating opportunities for yourself, its about observing the defenders and creating opportunities for others.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls
the best player I ever played with was a hooker who just got the game. Sounds like you have a good handle on it mate. This bloke could win a game nearly single handedly. Even besting a few former NRL lads.

I would make a couple of changes before kick off with Brooks to start at hooker with VCDouiehi starting a five eighth & Dias in for Seyfarth.
My Team
Laurie
Nofoaluma
Roberts
Toa
Maumalo
Douiehi
Hastings
Ofahengaue
Tuilagi
Garner
Stefano
Brooks
Tamou
Bench
Brown
Dias
Pole
Musgrove

Cheers n Beers
Jolls
For the exact reasons as listed in this post Robbie Farah was a great hooker. Unfortunately for Brooks, regardless of his skills he obviously didnt understand what Robbie was doing, so didnt compliment or play off the back of it . What was worse is that the deadcrap coaches like JT didnt have this understanding either & point Brooks in the right direction while Robbie was still playing. :(

I would make a couple of changes before kick off with Brooks to start at hooker with VCDouiehi starting a five eighth & Dias in for Seyfarth.
My Team
Laurie
Nofoaluma
Roberts
Toa
Maumalo
Douiehi
Hastings
Ofahengaue
Tuilagi
Garner
Stefano
Brooks
Tamou
Bench
Brown
Dias
Pole
Musgrove
If you want to put Brooks to hooker, how many hookers will we have next year?
Brown
Api
Simpkins
Liddle
Brooks
Have I missed any? 😁

Back