TEAM LIST Round 3 vs. Sharks

Team List
It's such a toxic environment.
Yes this is what I’m alluding to when I point out how every previously good player seems to turn to crap playing for us. It’s like all the talent and experience they have gets tossed out the window and they’ve forgotten the basics of playing the game.

But why? We’ve had so many changes of roster, of coaches, of trainers and now of administration over the years. We’ve had some bloody good people here trying to turn things around and we have an amazing bunch of coaches who know what it takes to be successful behind us now, trying to instil a unified winning culture. The team looks happy, they speak positively, yet they still seem to run out every week unprepared, unstructured, unfit and unmotivated. I just don’t get it.

I know it’s only early into the season and I might be jumping the gun, but the efforts, or rather lack of, in both the trials and our first match against Canberra is cause for concern, imo. The same old problems still exist and we just do not play like a team that ever wants to win.

I really hate it because it’s a double barrel blow. We never get to see our good juniors reach their potential with us (they usually have to go elsewhere, how long will Bula & Galvin last if we don’t start winning) and we never get to see the best of the really good players who sign with us. As Ink said, he fears that we’re turning even Api into a plodder and sadly I have to agree. Api will get tired of trying to do it all himself eventually if something doesn’t change soon.

I know its easier said than done but if Benji can just get these bloke to understand what is needed in the game we would be alot more comfortable going into the Sharks game...
What I mean is,play to the gameplan,commit in defense and attack,support your man with the ball and have discipline (no giveaway penalties or 6 agains),errors are costly...
I think we can become competative,but all of the players young and old have to step up and earn their place and paycheque,this is the NRL not backyard footy,,,I have played with and known some very good rugby league players over the years and all of them would have given 300% just for the opportunity to play in the big arena including myself,these guys need to take that opportunity given to them and do their very best....all of them have skills and ability Benji has to get the best out of each of them...

Reactions: BZN
Yes this is what I’m alluding to when I point out how every previously good player seems to turn to crap playing for us. It’s like all the talent and experience they have gets tossed out the window and they’ve forgotten the basics of playing the game.

But why? We’ve had so many changes of roster, of coaches, of trainers and now of administration over the years. We’ve had some bloody good people here trying to turn things around and we have an amazing bunch of coaches who know what it takes to be successful behind us now, trying to instil a unified winning culture. The team looks happy, they speak positively, yet they still seem to run out every week unprepared, unstructured, unfit and unmotivated. I just don’t get it.

I know it’s only early into the season and I might be jumping the gun, but the efforts, or rather lack of, in both the trials and our first match against Canberra is cause for concern, imo. The same old problems still exist and we just do not play like a team that ever wants to win.

I really hate it because it’s a double barrel blow. We never get to see our good juniors reach their potential with us (they usually have to go elsewhere, how long will Bula & Galvin last if we don’t start winning) and we never get to see the best of the really good players who sign with us. As Ink said, he fears that we’re turning even Api into a plodder and sadly I have to agree. Api will get tired of trying to do it all himself eventually if something doesn’t change soon.
What I have been feeling and saying for a few years now is that we are improving as an organisation and as a team, however everyone else is improving so much faster than us. Every step we take forward, the rest of the competition is taking three.

I just don't think we will ever be able to catch up. This is a lot deeper than one coach, one player etc.

The only use we have is that we have a license in the NRL and especially a Sydney based one, right in the middle. We have a long term supporter base built up due to the foundation clubs and the attacking identiy from '05 to '11. Even that will all dry up, just not sure when.

Reactions: BZN
Like everyone that follows the tigers i have constantly tried to work out the issues we have and still have. If we are honest with ourselves as a supporter base even when we won the comp we weren't your typical team and that is where the problem lies for me. Every coach and player we have had at the tigers has had a crack but the results have always been poor.
From my armchair coaches eye, we appear to be a few years behind the evolving tactics and player framework landscape consistently. What do I mean? let's take this years team under benji. We are small, we lack impact in the forwards, we are playing a basic style of football without the physicality. How does that compare to the teams around the league. There appears from the short sample size to be a willingness to play eyes-up footy, an emphasis on physicality, a lot of early shifts and every player is bloody massive. The brand we are playing is up to 5 years old. I believe this is due to our reluctance to hire fresh cutting-edge coaches.
This isn't a shot at players or coaches its just my view of the situation.

Here's hoping that Richo can embed some positive change because outside of him I think we still lack genuine footy knowledge.

In saying that I hope I'm very wrong and we smash the sharks badly. i am however not hopeful as they do everything we don't.

Last edited:
Honestly that pack should be crushing it, if only they played up to their talent. It’s a real shit that we haven’t seen the best of the likes of Paps, Bateman, Stef and Klemmer, just like so many of the good players we’ve picked up in the past.
Here’s the reason the forwards are crap , they run right next to the ruck one after the other , when it does go wide the forwards are standing still when they get the ball , watch the good sides over the weekend and see how there forwards run , wide of the ruck and when it goes wide there deep and running hard onto the pill

Because you can't do anything without winning the middle first qnd we've never had front rowers capable of doing so.
Even now Utoikamanu is good enough to support a quality pack leader, not to be one. Similar could be said for Pole. Klemmer has regressed and Fainu is still trying to establish himself as a first grader. Outside of that is guys who really shouldn't be playing first grade. Additionally the lack of a quality lock that can play at the line and get our forwards running between opponents rather than into them cannot be underestimated.
Now compare that to every other pack

We won't see the best of any of our players until we can win the middle.

What I have been feeling and saying for a few years now is that we are improving as an organisation and as a team, however everyone else is improving so much faster than us. Every step we take forward, the rest of the competition is taking three.

I just don't think we will ever be able to catch up. This is a lot deeper than one coach, one player etc.

The only use we have is that we have a license in the NRL and especially a Sydney based one, right in the middle. We have a long term supporter base built up due to the foundation clubs and the attacking identiy from '05 to '11. Even that will all dry up, just not sure when.
I’m not sure how much more improvement we can take!

On a more serious note, the main area of concern, the board, appears to be evolving the right way and they have a lot to unpack. Years of poor decisions.

No offence to Mr FAB, but spitting the dummy and singing the praises of Lee and Justin, shows a complete lack of insight into club affairs.

Benji should be able to do something with the coaching role based on his experience, but he’s got his work cut out for him on many fronts.

Anyone else think that Naden may come into the starting team for Faataape?

Seems strange to name him in the 22 for the NRL side but only on the bench for NSW Cup.
I sort of hope not. Faataape was ok last week and will only improve. I don't think Naden is any better and I love Faataapes attitude and hunger - something Naden lacks

I know its easier said than done but if Benji can just get these bloke to understand what is needed in the game we would be alot more comfortable going into the Sharks game...
What I mean is,play to the gameplan,commit in defense and attack,support your man with the ball and have discipline (no giveaway penalties or 6 agains),errors are costly...
I think we can become competative,but all of the players young and old have to step up and earn their place and paycheque,this is the NRL not backyard footy,,,I have played with and known some very good rugby league players over the years and all of them would have given 300% just for the opportunity to play in the big arena including myself,these guys need to take that opportunity given to them and do their very best....all of them have skills and ability Benji has to get the best out of each of them...
Madge couldn’t do it, Sheens couldn’t do it so I hope TT Benji is singing from a different hymn book. (Maybe they are just unable to understand basic football strategy).
Maybe his hymn book says, don’t overdo it fellas and get home to your families by 5.30.
Admirable but imo until they show SOME understanding they should be training till midnight !!!

Line speed, positional awareness and making thy tackles.

Agree about Bud and Farth. No knee jerk reaction, just a show cause why you should be in first grade.

I think with Bud, still very young and a bit raw, the more game time he gets, the better player he is going to be.

Id also like to see him bulk up.
Yep! If the bloke doesn't turn out to be a genuine o'nite sensation, and very few do, we need to give him and the other young blokes time to mature and fit into the rigors of N.R.L. level league.
And that imo and that of other posters, won't be until next year unfortunately.
So, if you want to retain your sanity, fly away to Hawaii or Botswana even, where you can't pick up the internet, tv or radio to check the score on WTF.

What an initiation for Faataape. Last week he marks Timoko now he switches to the right side to mark Talakai. Last week he was solid, came up a little early and got caught for a try and threw the bad pass from dummy half that set us in a spiral early, but overall he handled Timoko well. If he performs this week it's a good sign.
He's learning in the NRL in a very difficult position to defend As yuu have written, it is a good sign.

It’s a better year in some respects because we have a lot of new young players to follow and watch develop.

On the proviso, that Benji does his job.

And truth be told and I hope and pray he finds his inner coach this year, because his efforts training the halves last year were dreadful!

But there’s no logic and it’s a bit unfair to judge him so early.

Usually, we are dealing with beloved but essentially spent forces like JTJ or a hack like Brooksy.

Generally I think players used to peak at around 27, but I think it’s getting younger.

It interests me that the team morale is high despite the results.

And I became a member to support all the players first and foremost. Plus the dog joined.

Money well spent as the club builds.

I’m not expecting miracles, just the things many of the posters here are wanting.

Benji played something like 7 times the number of games an average player will play and under many coaches. He’s got to apply that vast knowledge. Big task.

Last edited:
Madge couldn’t do it, Sheens couldn’t do it so I hope TT Benji is singing from a different hymn book. (Maybe they are just unable to understand basic football strategy).
Maybe his hymn book says, don’t overdo it fellas and get home to your families by 5.30.
Admirable but imo until they show SOME understanding they should be training till midnight !!!
I hope Benji and the rest of the training staff understand psychology and therefore the individual needs of all his players re. getting the best out of them.

The reason I am saying this is I have had a few chats in the last few days with an ex-Aust. Soccer International Player. A really interesting, articulate and knowledgeable bloke who knows what makes players tick and perform at their best.

Basically, it's what's between the players ears in how they handle pressure.
You can have a young bloke that knows all the rules and performs really well at training, but as soon as they hit the playing field that's all forgotten because they're under pressure they can't handle.
The same with experienced players that have performed well at their previous club now find the load of continually carrying the not so good players around them a burden they can't handle, and their own game suffers.

Training till midnight didn't work for Madge HB61and it won't work for Benji.
It seems a top sport Psychologist is an immediate need if they haven't already got one.

Latest posts

Members online

Back