LIVE GAME Round 5 vs. Dolphins

Live Game Discussion
You guys opened a hornets nest. Be interesting to see all ref's with all teams.
It really is.

You would have to correlate that stat with who we played against.
If we hit up Melbourne/Brisbane/Penrith* and get flogged, well we kinda expect it. However us vs say St George, we don't expect it.

We also need to admit, we have been pretty crap in 2022/2023.

I wonder if correlating with Penalities is worthwhile. i.e. if Klein gives less penalities to us then other teams.

*Although at one stage we actually did well vs melbourne. I am talking way earlier in Tigers days like Robbie/Benji days. I remember us winning one game 6-4. Easts we suck against usually.

You didn't watch? At 14 10 and we have all the momentum then Sutton rules knock on against Api when the marker was shockingly offside right in front of his eyes. They then score 2 tries in 3 minutes instead of us attacking the Dolphins line. That call cost us any chance.

That said we didn't deserve to win, but that one call has to be acknowledged as the biggest turning point in the game and it was a real bad one.
Agree but still have to defend those ones. If a bad ref's call causes you to let in two tries, you aren't going to trouble the Top 8.

I noticed there was some real anger directed towards Belinda, the female ref - she did the Knights game.

Watched some highlighted footage and it appears she couldn't keep up with the players.

I've noticed the Elon Musk look alike ref is quite slow too.

Might be time to restructure and get some fresh employees on deck.
My wish is they sit Bill Harrigan down and ask him to teach the ref's how to ref the way he did, not like the robots we have now. They'll make mistakes but they're making loads now anyway.

Agree but still have to defend those ones. If a bad ref's call causes you to let in two tries, you aren't going to trouble the Top 8.

Yep, we didn't deserve to win. Our intensity and attention to detail was down. I expected that though. Need to bounce back this week because we are both beating Penrith coming off a loss, a bye and getting Cleary back

So many errors but one is unforgivable !
When Faataape gets up and plays the ball to NO Dummy half !
Who was it ? Either Staines or Tupou should have been there
Also our Marker defence went missing as they made huge breaks straight up the middle
All this is similar to 2022/23 !

If you're going to use your captains challenge early like we did you have to be very confident you don't lose it, SURELY (Shirley) bwahahahaaaaaaaa hahahaaaaaaaaaaa tiger's will be able to find a super league team interested for Bateman next year

Not sure who people think has been stiffening up our defence when calling for people to be moved on. Fans scream about poor defence for years and soon as it's improved they want have a crack at the players who play 80 and work their buts off not doing the pretty stuff.

I just watched the game a second time; this time without 1/2 dozen Silver Bullets in the system and the emotion of watching it live. After reading others comment here I focussed on a few individuals - Api, Sullivan, Latu and Bateman.

Api's game was way off; particularly in the first half. On top of his uncharacteristic poor passing he was not engaging the A/B defender like he usually does - which provides space for Sezar and others. He ran backwards two to three times - I expect that he was not able to push off is leg so was trying to be crafty. This wouldn't have been practiced and I think was responsible for the poor timing of his runners.

Sullivan - despite what I have read from many about him being a dud. He was very active and didn't shirk his role in defence; although he shot out of the line a couple of times which could have been dangerous - but he got away with them so it went OK for him this week. I would like to see much less of that. He is definitly not a good replacement for Api at Hooker - he doesn't do anything around the ruck. In attack he made a couple of half breaks and took the ball to the line on several occasions. I think in attack perhaps he was trying too hard and rushed it. He is definitley not our first string 5/8th; however, if he settles down I think he is a servicable backup for injuries. Perhaps with time in the system he will get better - way too early to write him off.

Latu did OK, very calm in attack and defence. He certainly isn't the live wire of Galvin and I suspect still a bit underdone. He is better than Sullivan in Defence and looked calm, deliberate and appeared to have time in attack - which is almost the opposite of how Sullivan plays. Too early to say for sure but he looks to be a bit behind Galvin in the ready for FG stakes.

Bateman - well he has some stupid moments, but he is always there or thereabouts in defence. I can see why the boys love playing with him - if he can cut the stupid penalties he goes well. In attack, he is what he is. What we haven't worked out, which Canberra did, was how to work with him. When he takes off, in whatever direction, he needs runners to provide options for him and decisions for the defence. There are opportunites for Bula/Pole/Juzzy and Faataape. Not saying he is great; lose the stupid penalties in our quarter and I think he is workable.

Key things I noticed that I didn't pick up much commentry on here:
The Dolphins first try was set up by Marshall King the play prior. He got out of the ruck quickly and engaged the A and B defender before a quick play the ball. From the next play Pole turned in and supported Sullivan; this commited to the 2 in defender (Faataape) creating a 2 on 1 for Charlie on the wing. there was no cover and they romped over. This is fixable - and for the most part we got it right.

Ref got the call right on the Olam no try - no doubt in my mind; however, I have seen worse let go.

Sullivan was not responsible for the Captain's Cahllange and Api was nowhere in sight - so who called it? Klemmer? Really bad call and something we need to fix.

Dolphins played our game against us - kick well and pin them with the chase. - same as we did against Parra.

I suspect fatigue was an issue for us; not an excuse we just weren't up to the same standard as the two weeks prior.

Faataape was defintely hit without the ball before half time. Should have been a penalty and we were on a roll. May have come to nothing but one of a few momentum changing calls.

Fianu concussion - He was hit slightly high by Donoghue but I doubt that was the cause. He was then turned over and his head slams into the ground followed by Nikorima's elbow - intentional or not I think that was the cause. Maybe the wrong guy is on report.

The Twal/Api call. I think the ref got the first bit right - no penalty as Twal ran through the ruck - problem is the ball was dislodged by the Phins and travelled towards our own goal line and was then picked up - should have been play on. Definite turning point and Api's dissent was justified.

In summary - it was a loss after a short turnaround. We hung in there despite the adversity and are definitely a team on the up. The players are committed to each other and making a difference. In most cases they are putting in the effort plays and putting their mates first, a few tired plays by key forwards cost is in defence; but considering the speed and strike power in the Dolphins lineup we weren't disgraced - a couple fo different ball bounces and we were in with a real chance.

Bring on St George and let;s see how the next man up goes this week!

Last edited:
I just watched the game a second time; this time without 1/2 dozen Silver Bullets in the system and the emotion of watching it live. After reading others comment here I focussed on a few individuals - Api, Sullivan, Latu and Bateman.

Api's game was way off; particularly inthe first half. Despite his uncharacteristic poor passing he was not engaging the A/B defender like he usually does - which provides space for Sezar and others. He ran backwards towo to three times - I expect that he was not able to puch off is leg so was trying to be crafty. This wouldn't ahve been practices and I think was responsible for the poor timing of his runners.

Sullivan - despite what I have read from many about him being a dud. He was very active and didn't shirk his role in defence; althogh he shot out of the line a couple of times which could have been dangerous - but he goat away with them so it went OK for him this week. I would liek to see much less of that. He is definitly not a good replacement for Api at Hooker - he doesn't do anything around the ruck. In attack he made a coulpe of half breaks and took the ball to the line on several occasions. I think in attack perhaps he was trying too hard and rushes it. He is definitley not our first string 5/8th; howerver, if he settles down I think he is a servicable backup for injuries. Perhaps with time in the system he will get better - way too early to write him off.

Latu did OK, very calm in attack and defence. He certainly isn't the live wire of Galvin and I suspect still a bit underdone. He is better then Sullivan in Defence and looked calm,deliberate and appeard to have time in attack - which is almost the opposite of how Sullivan plays. Too early to say for sure but he looks to be a bit behind Galvin in the ready for FG stakes.

Bateman - well he has some stupid moments, but he is alway there or thereabouts in defence. I can see why the boys love playing with him - if he can cut the stupid penalties he goes well. In attack, he is what he is. What we haven't worked out, which Canberra did, was how to work with him. When he takes off, in whatever direction, he needs runners to provide options for him and decisions for the defence. There are opportunites for Bula/Pole/Jussy and Faataape. Not saying he is great; lose the stupid penalties in our quarter and I think he is workable.

The Dolphins first try was set up by Marshall King the play prior. He gort out of the ruck quickly and engaged the A and B defender bfore a quick play the ball. From the next play Pole turned in and supported Sullivan; this commited to the 2 in defender (Faataape) creating a 2 on 1 for Charlie on the wing. there was no cover and they romped over. This is fixable - and for the most part we got it right.

Ref got the call right on the Olam no try - no doubt in my mind; however, I have seen worse let go.

Sullivan was not responsibel for the Captain's Cahllange and Api was nowhere in sight - so who called it? Klemmer? Really bad call and something we need to fix.

Dolphins played our game against us - kick well and pin them with the chase. - same as we did against Parra.
I suspect fatigue was an issue for us; not an excuse we just weren't up to the saem standard as the two weeks prior.

Faataape was defintely hit without the ball before half time. Should have been a penalty and we were on a roll. May have come to nothing but one of a few momentum changing calls.

Fianu concussion - He was hit slightly high by Donoghue but I doubt that was the cause. His is then turned over and his head slams into the ground followed by Nikorama's elbow - intentional or not I think that was the cause. Maybe the wrog guy is on report.

The Twal/Api call. I think the ref got the first bit right - no penalty as Twal ran through the ruck - problem is the ball was dislodged by the Phins and travelled towards our own gol line and was then picked up - should have been play on. Definite turning point and Api's dissent was justified.

In summary - it was a loss after a short turnaround. We hung in the despite the adversity and are definitely a team on the up. The players are committed to each other and making a difference. In most cases they are putting in the effort plays and putting their mates first, a few tired plays by key forwards cost is in defence; but considering the speed and stike power in the Dolphins lineup we weren't disgraced - a couple fo different ball bounces and we were in with a real chance.

Thanks for the summary @Jolls

Bateman obviously has had his time it not his fauly he is just to small to old the game has gone past him.
I agree on the Bateman comment, his days as a small backrower are gone, he gets dominate everytime he runs the ball, competes well and thats about it, not worth 650,00 a year

Reactions: BZN
I agree on the Bateman comment, his days as a small backrower are gone, he gets dominate everytime he runs the ball, competes well and thats about it, not worth 650,00 a year
I agree with you in regards to his size and effectiveness in attack; but, I think there is an opportunity to develop him in attack - we just haven't figured it out yet.

Canberra had it workig well as he would take off and had runners to distract the defence or hit with the ball.

We aren't there yet; I think he is workable. Expendable sure, but I think what he brings in enthusiasm and grit are good for the team.

Get rid of the stupid penalties and harness the confusion he creates and we could make something out of his presence.

Api's game was way off; particularly inthe first half. Despite his uncharacteristic poor passing he was not engaging the A/B defender like he usually does - which provides space for Sezar and others. He ran backwards two to three times - I expect that he was not able to push off is leg so was trying to be crafty. This wouldn't have been practiced and I think was responsible for the poor timing of his runners.

Sullivan - despite what I have read from many about him being a dud. He was very active and didn't shirk his role in defence; althogh he shot out of the line a couple of times which could have been dangerous - but he got away with them so it went OK for him this week. I would like to see much less of that. He is definitly not a good replacement for Api at Hooker - he doesn't do anything around the ruck. In attack he made a couple of half breaks and took the ball to the line on several occasions. I think in attack perhaps he was trying too hard and rushed it. He is definitley not our first string 5/8th; howerver, if he settles down I think he is a servicable backup for injuries. Perhaps with time in the system he will get better - way too early to write him off.

Latu did OK, very calm in attack and defence. He certainly isn't the live wire of Galvin and I suspect still a bit underdone. He is better then Sullivan in Defence and looked calm, deliberate and appeard to have time in attack - which is almost the opposite of how Sullivan plays. Too early to say for sure but he looks to be a bit behind Galvin in the ready for FG stakes.

Bateman - well he has some stupid moments, but he is always there or thereabouts in defence. I can see why the boys love playing with him - if he can cut the stupid penalties he goes well. In attack, he is what he is. What we haven't worked out, which Canberra did, was how to work with him. When he takes off, in whatever direction, he needs runners to provide options for him and decisions for the defence. There are opportunites for Bula/Pole/Juzzy and Faataape. Not saying he is great; lose the stupid penalties in our quarter and I think he is workable.

The Dolphins first try was set up by Marshall King the play prior. He got out of the ruck quickly and engaged the A and B defender before a quick play the ball. From the next play Pole turned in and supported Sullivan; this commited to the 2 in defender (Faataape) creating a 2 on 1 for Charlie on the wing. there was no cover and they romped over. This is fixable - and for the most part we got it right.

Sullivan was not responsible for the Captain's Cahllange and Api was nowhere in sight - so who called it? Klemmer? Really bad call and something we need to fix.

I suspect fatigue was an issue for us; not an excuse we just weren't up to the same standard as the two weeks prior.

Fianu concussion - He was hit slightly high by Donoghue but I doubt that was the cause. His is then turned over and his head slams into the ground followed by Nikorama's elbow - intentional or not I think that was the cause. Maybe the wrong guy is on report.

The Twal/Api call. I think the ref got the first bit right - no penalty as Twal ran through the ruck - problem is the ball was dislodged by the Phins and travelled towards our own goal line and was then picked up - should have been play on. Definite turning point and Api's dissent was justified.

In summary - it was a loss after a short turnaround. We hung in there despite the adversity and are definitely a team on the up. The players are committed to each other and making a difference. In most cases they are putting in the effort plays and putting their mates first, a few tired plays by key forwards cost is in defence; but considering the speed and strike power in the Dolphins lineup we weren't disgraced - a couple fo different ball bounces and we were in with a real chance.

In the words of the hall of famer Laurie Daley "whoever can score more points will win this game"
Excellent summary J. I think many of us should watch the replay without the benefit of any liquid support. It’s amazing what you see in the cold light of day.

My wish is they sit Bill Harrigan down and ask him to teach the ref's how to ref the way he did, not like the robots we have now. They'll make mistakes but they're making loads now anyway.
Bill Halligan would have to be one of the worst refs ever! In a grand final Easts v Penrith he refused to penalise the Penrith players for being off side because they were trying! How do you decide that. East’s were playing the game at a pace that Penrith could not cope with and got no reward for their good play. Absolutely ridiculous refereeing

• Wow
Reactions: BZN
Agree 💯 ... a good sport psychologist should be able to get our blokes to put those bad calls in the back of their mind and get back to concentrating on what's happening in front of them.
It's the Captain's job to handle any possible bad calls by talking to the Ref. about it, the other blokes are there to play football.

Api's game was way off; particularly in the first half. On top of his uncharacteristic poor passing he was not engaging the A/B defender like he usually does - which provides space for Sezar and others. He ran backwards two to three times - I expect that he was not able to push off is leg so was trying to be crafty. This wouldn't have been practiced and I think was responsible for the poor timing of his runners.

Sullivan - despite what I have read from many about him being a dud. He was very active and didn't shirk his role in defence; although he shot out of the line a couple of times which could have been dangerous - but he got away with them so it went OK for him this week. I would like to see much less of that. He is definitly not a good replacement for Api at Hooker - he doesn't do anything around the ruck. In attack he made a couple of half breaks and took the ball to the line on several occasions. I think in attack perhaps he was trying too hard and rushed it. He is definitley not our first string 5/8th; however, if he settles down I think he is a servicable backup for injuries. Perhaps with time in the system he will get better - way too early to write him off.

Latu did OK, very calm in attack and defence. He certainly isn't the live wire of Galvin and I suspect still a bit underdone. He is better than Sullivan in Defence and looked calm, deliberate and appeared to have time in attack - which is almost the opposite of how Sullivan plays. Too early to say for sure but he looks to be a bit behind Galvin in the ready for FG stakes.

Fianu concussion - He was hit slightly high by Donoghue but I doubt that was the cause. He was then turned over and his head slams into the ground followed by Nikorima's elbow - intentional or not I think that was the cause. Maybe the wrong guy is on report.

Excellent summary Jolls (y)
As far as I'm concerned, you can do one of these after every game :D.

Back