Rugby league history

Ken Stonestreet, aka Nebo, beloved hooker with Western Suburbs magpies - was a prolific winner of the ball in scrums in the days when hookers had a proper go!
(PS his grandson Sam Stonestreet plays wing sometimes for the Sharks - one to watch)

1715863556775.jpeg

Premiership match, Round 5 played Saturday, 11th April, 1998.
Balmain Tigers 30 defeated Penrith Panthers 10.
Referee: Sean Hampstead.
Played at Leichhardt Oval, Sydney.
Crowd: 8,277

1715864152322.jpeg

Wests Presidents Cup were premiers that year, good team with Cherry, Kearney and Josh White. Beat Dragons in grand final who had Tallis and Nathan Brown
Wests Presidents Cup were premiers that year, good team with Cherry, Kearney and Josh White. Beat Dragons in grand final who had Tallis and Nathan Brown
Pretty sure we won the club championship too. It looked like the move to Campbo was giving us a great future.

Pretty sure we won the club championship too. It looked like the move to Campbo was giving us a great future.
I think we won Club Championship in 1991, very close in 1992.

Hard to believe that in 1991 and 1992 Wests made the finals (top 5) in all three grades.

Should have been set up for sustained success.

What could have been? Shortly after lost Hill, Dymock, Taylor, Britt, Gillespie in quick succession.

My father, who at the time was a trade union official, was involved at the request of Jack Gibson, from the first meeting in 1979.
He was there to explain the correct organisational structure and how to ensure players rights were incorporated into the overall game.
It was ground breaking stuff and certainly created a solid foundation moving forward.
Prior to his passing he often told me stories of those early days and how proud the initial group was of their achievements.
From acorns, giant trees grow !
Just to touch upon this... Mark Levy... if we have a look at 7 mins 27 seconds into the video... then 8 mins 50 secs and then again 9 mins and 15 seconds..... how the game has evolved......

Back