Rule Changes You'd Like Implemented

TurnStyle

In another thread the topic of a player going off for a his was discussed a little, and it made me think of a couple of rules I think would make the game better.

I know there's a thread for 2023 rule changes, but think this is objective... And likely not to be introduced in 2023!

I've only got 3. Apologies for repeating myself, but I'll paste my hia one too.

1. The HIA injustice!

If a player has to go off for a hia and an offender is placed on report, the offender should have to leave the field for the same amount of time as the player hit - with his team then left with 3 on the bench until the result of the hia - same as the team whose player was hit.

If the hia is failed, the offending player can't play the rest of the game either and, if found guilty, he also at least can't play the next week.

None of this early plea, play the next week when the concussed player can't. I don't think that's fair.

2. STOP THE CLOCK!

This one drives me crazy.

I think that once a try is scored, or a penalty kick is taken, the clock should stop and not restart until the kick off.

The kicker still has a time limit to take the conversion (they can't take forever to rest, etc!), but no game time elapses.

As it is, I have no idea why sometimes the clock stops, sometimes it doesn't, it stops in the last 5 minutes, but it doesn't.... Just stop the thing!

3. Restart after a score.

I liked it better when the scoring team kicked off.

Theoretically, a team could go an entire game touching the ball just once; at either the start kick off or the second half kick off.

The way the tigers are playing, I think they could possibly make history as the only team to ever touch the ball just once in an entire game.

Imagine.... Start of the game. Opposition kicks off. Tigers drop it (probably Laurie!).

Bam! Opposition scores try after try; then receive the ball to start the second half and the tigers never touch the ball for the rest of the game.

It could happen!!! 🤣

Last edited:
1. If a ball comes lose in a 1 on 1 tackle, if it goes forward it's a knock on but if it goes backwards, it should be play on rather than "knock on by the defending team".

2. If an attacking team's player makes significant contact with a defender, it should be a penalty. Sick of Penrith players ( esp Luai) pulling the defenders away and having no markers. Saw the ref give him a warning last week, that doesn't require a warning- every player knows not to touch a defender, blow a penalty straight away.

3. Reward good tackles: not quite sure how but today Manly made some cracking tackles but the attacker on the ground managed to whinge and wiggle his way away to put the defender offside. The refs should pull them back and ask them to play the ball again, because to me even if you wiggle out to play the ball, that's still moving off the mark.

Yeah is tig prmz said.... Classic legs tackles should be rewarded.... Ref should give another second or two before 'held/ptb' is called

Tries worth 5 points, converted tries worth 6. Goal kicking is rewarded WAY too much in this game.
There is no way a team who scores 3 tries but fails to convert all three should loose to a team who scores 2 tries and does a field goal. Penalties can be worth 2 points, don't care.

5m back not 10m, less head knocks.

A bench of 5 (maybe even 6), I realise how much a 4 man bench has lead to a forward pack bench. Should be a reserve player or two for when people get injured.

Oh last one.
Semi's and grand finals can fill casual vacancies from teams that don't make the finals, providing the replacement players salary cap values equal the injured player value.

Cam Smith 2008 final vs Manly, Smith not playing meant it was an utter wipeout. I can't remember if it was an injury or a suspension... Where it is an injury, why have a half busted team vs a fresh team. We want to see two full squads vs each other.

Tries worth 5 points, converted tries worth 6. Goal kicking is rewarded WAY too much in this game.
There is no way a team who scores 3 tries but fails to convert all three should loose to a team who scores 2 tries and does a field goal. Penalties can be worth 2 points, don't care.

5m back not 10m, less head knocks.

A bench of 5 (maybe even 6), I realise how much a 4 man bench has lead to a forward pack bench. Should be a reserve player or two for when people get injured.

Oh last one.
Semi's and grand finals can fill casual vacancies from teams that don't make the finals, providing the replacement players salary cap values equal the injured player value.

Cam Smith 2008 final vs Manly, Smith not playing meant it was an utter wipeout. I can't remember if it was an injury or a suspension... Where it is an injury, why have a half busted team vs a fresh team. We want to see two full squads vs each other.
Some great points.

I like 5 points for a try, but think kicking conversions has a valuable place. I like that it can be the difference - conversions, not penalties.

Yes, every great team needs a great kicker. Cleary, Smith, Thurston, Reynolds... All premiership players and a big reason for it. Without Hodgson, the tigers likely wouldn't have won in '05. Personally I like a great player who is also a great kicker and I wouldn't want to see it die out.

Never thought of it, but 5m I think would drastically reduce at least the force of impact. I think it could also lead to more gaps in the defensive line - but then I was certainly no playmaker! 🤣

I think Smith was suspended?

The interpretation of the play-the-ball now favours the side in possession too much (worse than touch football). Make the attacker play to the EXISTING rules.

Play-the-ball commences
(1) ON THE MARK,
(2) by a player STANDING with BOTH FEET ON THE GROUND,
(3) in control of a ball that is NOT on the ground.
It continues by placing the ball on the ground in front of one foot and rolling the ball back WITH THE FOOT.

No rule-change necessary. THIS IS THE CURRENT RULE.

In the spirit of fast play, change the rule-breach penalty to HAND-OVER. The penalty for obstructing a hand-over (i.e. professional foul) should probably be 'sin bin'.

A possible rule clarification might be that when standing prior to the play-the-ball, the ball must be at least at knee height to forestall the coaches from teaching a 1mm ball lift.

I don't think this will slow the game because it will soon eliminate stoppages due to lost-ball plays and stoppages due to re-plays. The tackled player needs to accept that he has been stopped. He is entitled to a clear play-the-ball. He is not entitled to further advantage just because he has the ball.

Staff online

Back