Searching for the Diamond in the rough.

Needaname

Apologies for the new thread as it is a signings and suggestions post.
Although instead of being bombarded by talk of all chapters I wanted to focus on what the current narrative is on what the tigers need.
We all know we need someone of Finucanes Ilk to lead the way.
But if taking into consideration what Gordon Talis and Joey Johns have suggested. Maybe there is the next Finucane out there and we need to look for him instead.
If Finucane is a certain way as a person, and his professional approach is second to none what’s to say that his developed that over time?
More so maybe it’s been within his character from the beginning. Desire and dedication is personality trait not a skill.
If the next Finucane is out there who is he?

A player I like the look of is Brodie Jones at Newcastle. Don’t know a lot about him other then his a country boy from Maitland. He is second season is 23 and is a lock / backrower. But his 80min game in the centre’s against the sharks was an absolute stand out for mine. Been in the 17 all year so appears to be rated well by the coaching staff.

So I’m curious, what other players do you guys think could be a suitable alternative?

@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399710) said:
Although instead of being bombarded by talk of all chapters I wanted to focus on what the current narrative is on what the tigers need.
But if taking into consideration what Gordon Talis and Joey Johns have suggested. Maybe there is the next Finucane out there and we need to look for him instead.
If Finucane is a certain way as a person, and his professional approach is second to none what’s to say that his developed that over time?
More so maybe it’s been within his character from the beginning. Desire and dedication is personality trait not a skill.

A player I like the look of is Brodie Jones at Newcastle. Don’t know a lot about him other then his a country boy from Maitland. He is second season is 23 and is a lock / backrower. But his 80min game in the centre’s against the sharks was an absolute stand out for mine. Been in the 17 all year so appears to be rated well by the coaching staff.

So I’m curious, what other players do you guys think could be a suitable alternative?

isaiha papali’i from Parra is on 150K and is playing like a 500K back rower.

good call on Jones, def shows promise

Have thought the same of Renouf Atoni at the dogs (hes still pretty rough though and probably would be much of an upgrade on Luce)

Actually, even more so Jackson Topine... it is criminal how little game time he gets (nice one Barrett you flog), always looks dangerous when hes playing

I thought we shouldve made a play for meaney when he left knights, and we just missed him again. Watch him become a world beater at storm now

Pat Carrigan with a bit of extra discipline would be good pickup

sorry just reread your post and maybe none of those are 'The Full Finucane', but they have potential all the same.

If we could get Isaah Yeo it would be amazing, but i doubt that would ever happen

@bagnf05 said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399712) said:
@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399710) said:

If that is all he is on he is being paid it is well short of his real value.

@jadtiger said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399714) said:
@bagnf05 said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399712) said:

If you believe Fox ?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/teams/eels/nrl-2021-parramatta-eels-isaiah-papalii-upsurge-in-form-since-leaving-warriors-stats-james-hooper/news-story/bc8bf8e429b170395513317878781edb

@maryst said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399713) said:
good call on Jones, def shows promise

Have thought the same of Renouf Atoni at the dogs (hes still pretty rough though and probably would be much of an upgrade on Luce)

Actually, even more so Jackson Topine... it is criminal how little game time he gets (nice one Barrett you flog), always looks dangerous when hes playing

I thought we shouldve made a play for meaney when he left knights, and we just missed him again. Watch him become a world beater at storm now

Pat Carrigan with a bit of extra discipline would be good pickup

sorry just reread your post and maybe none of those are 'The Full Finucane', but they have potential all the same.

If we could get Isaah Yeo it would be amazing, but i doubt that would ever happen

All potentially great players. Carrigan would be exceptional but I’d say Brisbane know what they have got there. Like Topine, Atoni and Smith at the dogs all plenty of potential.

@bagnf05 said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399717) said:
@jadtiger said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399714) said:

If you believe Fox ?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/teams/eels/nrl-2021-parramatta-eels-isaiah-papalii-upsurge-in-form-since-leaving-warriors-stats-james-hooper/news-story/bc8bf8e429b170395513317878781edb

Lol Fox has zero credibility imo,the tooth fairy is more believable

@jadtiger said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399719) said:
@bagnf05 said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399717) said:

If you believe Fox ?

Lol Fox has zero credibility imo,the tooth fairy is more believable

Yeah and we know Parra really take the salary cap seriously ?

More impressive than his stats, is this below extract.
‘The Eels have been rapped with his attention to detail and professionalism in terms of training, often showing up at video sessions with a notebook and a pen.

Parramatta coach Brad Arthur was full of praise after Papali’i produced several game-defining moments in the Eels win over the Raiders.

“I’ve said it over and over so I sound like a broken record but I really enjoy coaching him,” Arthur said.

“He’s so professional. Everything he’s getting at the moment he’s deserved because he worked so hard in the pre-season.

“He’s so diligent, he’s got a willingness to learn and he likes playing around the team that we’ve got at the moment.’

I really can’t believe we didn’t look closer at him. I’m sure he was mentioned as a target by some of our insiders back last year...

@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399723) said:

‘The Eels have been rapped with his attention to detail and professionalism in terms of training, often showing up at video sessions with a notebook and a pen.

Parramatta coach Brad Arthur was full of praise after Papali’i produced several game-defining moments in the Eels win over the Raiders.

“I’ve said it over and over so I sound like a broken record but I really enjoy coaching him,” Arthur said.

“He’s so professional. Everything he’s getting at the moment he’s deserved because he worked so hard in the pre-season.

“He’s so diligent, he’s got a willingness to learn and he likes playing around the team that we’ve got at the moment.’

I really can’t believe we didn’t look closer at him. I’m sure he was mentioned as a target by some of our insiders back last year...

I feel like these unheralded guys are out there but we have an unhealthy obsession with guys who once played a little rep footy but have since had a huge drop in form.

@bagnf05 said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399725) said:
@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399723) said:

I feel like these unheralded guys are out there but we have an unhealthy obsession with guys who once played a little rep footy but have since had a huge drop in form.

That’s the point of this thread. I’m curious about what other unheralded players stand out to other forumers.

I just posted in another thread. These are the guys I would go after including Keaon Kolomantagi.
![DDB62085-B3A8-45A2-A6BA-35CF5FE09C84.jpeg](/assets/uploads/files/1624883194633-ddb62085-b3a8-45a2-a6ba-35cf5fe09c84.jpeg)

@versa said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399730) said:
I just posted in another thread. These are the guys I would go after including Keaon Kolomantagi.
![DDB62085-B3A8-45A2-A6BA-35CF5FE09C84.jpeg](/assets/uploads/files/1624883194633-ddb62085-b3a8-45a2-a6ba-35cf5fe09c84.jpeg)

Pretty sure Keon Is signed 2 more years with the Bunnies.

@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399732) said:

Yeah on the thread I did write I’m not on contracts but we all know these days they don’t hold much weight

He turned up to a video session with a notebook and a pen!?!? Groundbreaking stuff there.

Our guys probably have their headphones in during the video sessions.

@versa said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399733) said:
@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399732) said:

Yeah on the thread I did write I’m not sure on contracts but we all know these days they don’t hold much weight

@weststigerman said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399734) said:

He turned up to a video session with a notebook and a pen!?!? Groundbreaking stuff there.

Have you heard the story that the first video session Harry Grant attended with us, he did the same thing, the whole team was shocked. ‘Benji mentioned it on NRL 360’

@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399741) said:
@weststigerman said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399734) said:

Have you heard the story that the first video session Harry Grant attended with us, he did the same thing, the whole team was shocked. ‘Benji mentioned it on NRL 360’

The hooker in front of him in Melbourne was running the sessions . Probably aspiring to do the same one day.

Is anyone surprised that our level of professionalism is not where it should be?

Jackson Topine... thanks, hartigan and co.

Back