Searching for the Diamond in the rough.

@bagnf05 said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399743) said:
@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399741) said:
@weststigerman said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399734) said:
@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399723) said:
@bagnf05 said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399712) said:
@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399710) said:
Apologies for the new thread as it is a signings and suggestions post.
Although instead of being bombarded by talk of all chapters I wanted to focus on what the current narrative is on what the tigers need.
We all know we need someone of Finucanes Ilk to lead the way.
But if taking into consideration what Gordon Talis and Joey Johns have suggested. Maybe there is the next Finucane out there and we need to look for him instead.
If Finucane is a certain way as a person, and his professional approach is second to none what’s to say that his developed that over time?
More so maybe it’s been within his character from the beginning. Desire and dedication is personality trait not a skill.
If the next Finucane is out there who is he?

A player I like the look of is Brodie Jones at Newcastle. Don’t know a lot about him other then his a country boy from Maitland. He is second season is 23 and is a lock / backrower. But his 80min game in the centre’s against the sharks was an absolute stand out for mine. Been in the 17 all year so appears to be rated well by the coaching staff.

So I’m curious, what other players do you guys think could be a suitable alternative?

isaiha papali’i from Parra is on 150K and is playing like a 500K back rower.

More impressive than his stats, is this below extract.
‘The Eels have been rapped with his attention to detail and professionalism in terms of training, often showing up at video sessions with a notebook and a pen.

Parramatta coach Brad Arthur was full of praise after Papali’i produced several game-defining moments in the Eels win over the Raiders.

“I’ve said it over and over so I sound like a broken record but I really enjoy coaching him,” Arthur said.

“He’s so professional. Everything he’s getting at the moment he’s deserved because he worked so hard in the pre-season.

“He’s so diligent, he’s got a willingness to learn and he likes playing around the team that we’ve got at the moment.’

I really can’t believe we didn’t look closer at him. I’m sure he was mentioned as a target by some of our insiders back last year...

He turned up to a video session with a notebook and a pen!?!? Groundbreaking stuff there.

Our guys probably have their headphones in during the video sessions.

Have you heard the story that the first video session Harry Grant attended with us, he did the same thing, the whole team was shocked. ‘Benji mentioned it on NRL 360’

The hooker in front of him in Melbourne was running the sessions . Probably aspiring to do the same one day.

Is anyone surprised that our level of professionalism is not where it should be?

The funny thing is when my mate mentioned it too me I was like, yeah so? You take notes through school in corporate meeting etc why should developing as an professional athlete be any different?

@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399750) said:
@bagnf05 said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399743) said:
@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399741) said:
@weststigerman said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399734) said:
@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399723) said:
@bagnf05 said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399712) said:
@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399710) said:
Although instead of being bombarded by talk of all chapters I wanted to focus on what the current narrative is on what the tigers need.
But if taking into consideration what Gordon Talis and Joey Johns have suggested. Maybe there is the next Finucane out there and we need to look for him instead.
If Finucane is a certain way as a person, and his professional approach is second to none what’s to say that his developed that over time?
More so maybe it’s been within his character from the beginning. Desire and dedication is personality trait not a skill.

A player I like the look of is Brodie Jones at Newcastle. Don’t know a lot about him other then his a country boy from Maitland. He is second season is 23 and is a lock / backrower. But his 80min game in the centre’s against the sharks was an absolute stand out for mine. Been in the 17 all year so appears to be rated well by the coaching staff.

So I’m curious, what other players do you guys think could be a suitable alternative?

‘The Eels have been rapped with his attention to detail and professionalism in terms of training, often showing up at video sessions with a notebook and a pen.

Parramatta coach Brad Arthur was full of praise after Papali’i produced several game-defining moments in the Eels win over the Raiders.

“I’ve said it over and over so I sound like a broken record but I really enjoy coaching him,” Arthur said.

“He’s so professional. Everything he’s getting at the moment he’s deserved because he worked so hard in the pre-season.

“He’s so diligent, he’s got a willingness to learn and he likes playing around the team that we’ve got at the moment.’

I really can’t believe we didn’t look closer at him. I’m sure he was mentioned as a target by some of our insiders back last year...

He turned up to a video session with a notebook and a pen!?!? Groundbreaking stuff there.

Have you heard the story that the first video session Harry Grant attended with us, he did the same thing, the whole team was shocked. ‘Benji mentioned it on NRL 360’

The hooker in front of him in Melbourne was running the sessions . Probably aspiring to do the same one day.

Is anyone surprised that our level of professionalism is not where it should be?

The funny thing is when my mate mentioned it too me I was like, yeah so? You take notes through school in corporate meeting etc why should developing as an professional athlete be any different?

You think Bellamy wastes an hour talking for nothing? And watch his reaction when someone goes off script!! It’s all highly organised and everyone knows their role. The guys who go ‘haha take notes’ they aren’t Storm players.

Side note though. With Harry in the side last year and in previous years Farah returning, Lawrence and Benji, wouldn’t you of thought there’s been enough leaders around the group to learn good traits off?
Makes me think that what we really need more than ever is the improvement on the field. Really need to make sure that whoever we sign needs to lead and not be slowing down.

@bagnf05 said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399752) said:
@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399750) said:

You think Bellamy wastes an hour talking for nothing? And watch his reaction when someone goes off script!! It’s all highly organised and everyone knows their role. The guys who go ‘haha take notes’ they aren’t Storm players.

Some guys don’t make it.
Sam Kasiano
Ben Roberts
Beau Champion

@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399754) said:

Side note though. With Harry in the side last year and in previous years Farah returning, Lawrence and Benji, wouldn’t you of thought there’s been enough leaders around the group to learn good traits off?
Makes me think that what we really need more than ever is the improvement on the field. Really need to make sure that whoever we sign needs to lead and not be slowing down.

All well past their prime and just getting themselves up for footy was enough I’d say.

I think that’s why we need to be bullish about Finucane, he’s still playing great footy and he very well could be a back to back premiership player. To use the Farah example he’d been running around in reserve grade at Souths. You think he still had the confidence in himself and his own game (which had declined) to lead a successful NRL team? Marshall tried and failed at rugby then couldn’t crack Brisbane first grade.

@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399757) said:
@bagnf05 said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399752) said:

Some guys don’t make it.
Sam Kasiano
Ben Roberts
Beau Champion

No but look at their record, he has more hits than misses in recruiting. Those blokes would have cost not much either.

@bagnf05 said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399759) said:
@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399757) said:

Some guys don’t make it.
Sam Kasiano
Ben Roberts
Beau Champion

No but look at their record, he has more hits than misses in recruiting. Those blokes would have cost not much either.

No that’s not a mark on Bellamy. Just saying those guys didn’t have it in them to be storm players.

@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399762) said:
@bagnf05 said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399759) said:

Some guys don’t make it.
Sam Kasiano
Ben Roberts
Beau Champion

No that’s not a mark on Bellamy. Just saying those guys didn’t have it in them to be storm players.

It would be a shock to some guys, I’m sure Munster has had his head bitten off a few times.

@bagnf05 said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399758) said:
@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399754) said:

All well past their prime and just getting themselves up for footy was enough I’d say.

I think that’s why we need to be bullish about Finucane, he’s still playing great footy and he very well could be a back to back premiership player. To use the Farah example he’d been running around in reserve grade at Souths. You think he still had the confidence in himself and his own game (which had declined) to lead a successful NRL team? Marshall tried and failed at rugby then couldn’t crack Brisbane first grade.

Sadly Farah was probably our top performer in his final year. He certainly played his best season since probably 2014. But still doesn’t say much about the surrounding team.

Some guys don’t make it.
Sam Kasiano
Ben Roberts
Beau Champion

Oh mate there's tonnes of failed recruits, and Bellamy plays some of the ordinary ones for long periods, but the rest of his team is good enough to handle the mediocrity.

E.g. Brodie Croft, Ryley Jacks, Albert Vete, Billy Walters, Dean Britt, Joe Stsimson, Vince Leuluai, Ryan Morgan, Cheyse Blair (played 38), Richie Kennar, Tom Learoyd, Joel Romelo, Ben Roberts, Ben Hampton, Junio Sa'u, Slade Griffin, Junior Moops, Richie Fa'aoso, Michael Grenfield, Siosaia Vave, Jaack Afamasaga, Dane Chisholm, Mo Blair, Atelea Vea, Woolnough, Troy Thompson, Jaiman Lowe, Sione Kite, Robbie Rochow, Chase Stanley, Rory Kostjasyn, Ryan Tandy, Luke Kelly, Matt Crowss, Wairangi Koopu, Willie Isa, Sinbad Kali, Joe Tomane, Liam Foran, Cliff Manua, Clint Newton, Scott Andreson, Russel Aitken, Sam Tagatese, James Aubusson, Chris Walker, Garret Crossman, Jamie Feeney, Alex Chan etc etc etc

Daniel Sykes is a young player who has the same qualities as Seyfarth. He hits hard, runs hard and has that spirit/will to win that makes the difference. Also Sykes is one of our own juniors. I hope Sheens takes him under his charge and has a few chats with him.

@versa said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399730) said:
I just posted in another thread. These are the guys I would go after including Keaon Kolomantagi.
![DDB62085-B3A8-45A2-A6BA-35CF5FE09C84.jpeg](/assets/uploads/files/1624883194633-ddb62085-b3a8-45a2-a6ba-35cf5fe09c84.jpeg)

Few on there we'd be no chance at.

Few dark horses though.

I'd look at the raiders centres Seb Kris, Harley Smith-Shields and maybe even see if we could jag a big name like Joe Tapine, he's a gun.

And I'd be looking at Few of squaddies from Parra, Dogs and Penrith.

@pawsandclaws1 said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399794) said:
Daniel Sykes is a young player who has the same qualities as Seyfarth. He hits hard, runs hard and has that spirit/will to win that makes the difference. Also Sykes is one of our own juniors. I hope Sheens takes him under his charge and has a few chats with him.

Did Sykes disappear for a while. May be another player I’m thinking of

Can we just start to develop our own kids instead of looking for other clubs trash all the time. The reason these players become available is the other clubs dont want them because they have issues. It might start meaning something to present a local junior with a first grade jumper instead of blow ins looking for a payment. We are a miss match of everyone elses crap.

@tigertuff said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399813) said:
Can we just start to develop our own kids instead of looking for other clubs trash all the time. The reason these players become available is the other clubs dont want them because they have issues. It might start meaning something to present a local junior with a first grade jumper instead of blow ins looking for a payment. We are a miss match of everyone elses crap.

What you are suggesting is exactly what Madge/Hartigan are trying to do with bringing talented youngsters to the club.I probably wont get to see the benefit of it but younger supporters will.I am far more confident with the current process than throwing money at geriatrics looking for a pension which is what we have done since the merger

@jirskyr said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399788) said:

Some guys don’t make it.
Sam Kasiano
Ben Roberts
Beau Champion

Oh mate there's tonnes of failed recruits, and Bellamy plays some of the ordinary ones for long periods, but the rest of his team is good enough to handle the mediocrity.

E.g. Brodie Croft, Ryley Jacks, Albert Vete, Billy Walters, Dean Britt, Joe Stsimson, Vince Leuluai, Ryan Morgan, Cheyse Blair (played 38), Richie Kennar, Tom Learoyd, Joel Romelo, Ben Roberts, Ben Hampton, Junio Sa'u, Slade Griffin, Junior Moops, Richie Fa'aoso, Michael Grenfield, Siosaia Vave, Jaack Afamasaga, Dane Chisholm, Mo Blair, Atelea Vea, Woolnough, Troy Thompson, Jaiman Lowe, Sione Kite, Robbie Rochow, Chase Stanley, Rory Kostjasyn, Ryan Tandy, Luke Kelly, Matt Crowss, Wairangi Koopu, Willie Isa, Sinbad Kali, Joe Tomane, Liam Foran, Cliff Manua, Clint Newton, Scott Andreson, Russel Aitken, Sam Tagatese, James Aubusson, Chris Walker, Garret Crossman, Jamie Feeney, Alex Chan etc etc etc

Yep - I'd forgot about Sinbad! :joy: :laughing:

@jadtiger said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399818) said:
@tigertuff said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399813) said:

What you are suggesting is exactly what Madge/Hartigan are trying to do with bringing talented youngsters to the club.I probably wont get to see the benefit of it but younger supporters will.I am far more confident with the current process than throwing money at geriatrics looking for a pension which is what we have done since the merger

I agree. I just feel we have surrounded these young kids with blokes like Bj who are a bad influence on these kids. We got rid of blokes like Corey Thompson who put in every week and got Bj , maumolo ,jtj. We need to surround these kids with positive influences ,not the ones Madge has bought to the club. My belief is these guys are just blocking a pathway for our own kids to come through.

@tigertye said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399801) said:
@pawsandclaws1 said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399794) said:

Did Sykes disappear for a while. May be another player I’m thinking of

Broke his jaw I think

Absolutely. I’m just suggesting there may be a player out there that would complement our developing players. We know we need someone that’s ready now. Not someone that will take 2-3 seasons. Internally we have young Sykes who is a very decent lock and Tuki in the grade above who will most likely become a prop in the future.
I disagree that we don’t need an injection of on field leadership. That to me isn’t going to come from within our club.
Maybe it will be Hastings.

Back