Shannan Taylor on Life Support

clifferdSH

Shannan Taylor, Australia's world middleweight boxing champion, is on life support after suffering a drug overdose, ninemsn understands.

Some boxing identities already are referring to Taylor as though he has passed away, but a spokeswoman for Wollongong Hospital told ninemsn the 39-year-old remains in a critical condition since being admitted this morning.

3AW has reported on Twitter it received a text message from former boxing great Barry Michael saying Taylor's life support was switched off shortly before 2pm AEDT.

Anthony Mundine, who fought and beat Taylor at the Wollongong Entertainment Centre in 2009, has even paid tribute to his opponent on Twitter: "I just heard about Shannon Taylor!!! DRUGS is killing a lot of people…rest in peace my man! He was a good guy!"

But other news media, including the Daily Telegraph, report that this information is wrong and that Taylor's condition has not changed from critical.

The Telegraph does say that doctors hold serious concerns for the boxer.

Taylor admitted to having a drug problem early last decade but got his career back on track after three devastating losses in 2001.

But his most famous fight was a loss to "Sugar" Shane Mosely for the WBC welterweight title in 2001 at Caesars Palace, Las Vegas.

Known as the "Bulli Blaster", he became WBF champ just last month after defeating Thailand's Sintung Kietbusaba in Wollongong.

He has a 52-10 record, including 37 knockouts.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8381047/shannan-taylor-on-life-support-after-drug-overdose

Just read this on Twitter.

Lost a mate thanks to the lasting effects on drugs earlier this year (he was clean at the time he died.) Such a shame and a waste.

Yeah it is indeed a shame. I remember seeing Shannan Taylor all the time in the local barber, who would've thought such a thing could happen..

Sorry to hear about your mate aswell

@clifferdSH said:
Yeah it is indeed a shame. I remember seeing Shannan Taylor all the time in the local barber, **who would've thought such a thing could happen**..

Sorry to hear about your mate aswell

Unfortunately Clifferd this is not new or shocking news. He has been involved in drugs for a long, long time.

Silly bugger. Feel for his family and friends.

I hope this doesn't come out the wrong way but imagine how good he would of been if he could of stayed clean
My commiserations to the family

oh dam, you're right - my bad…

To my understanding, he doesn't stand much chance..but, they will give an assessment of him tomorrow at 8am.

What a tragedy…all due to drugs and alcohol.!..I hope he has a peaceful and clean after life

Back