Sheens on tactics

11 Coaches spoke of how they use their bench. Sheens pretty much said that on your bench you should have a couple of front rowers, a utility forward and a utility back. He basically said that he puts a back on the bench because of the parra game last year when 2 wingers got injured.

:astonished: The back on the bench is insurance…..

Revolutionary...I think Sheens is old school...too many interchanges makes them soft....

Fair enough. I mean, this is how the representative sides all function, so I can kind of see where he is coming from.

It's round 11, think maybe we should start accepting this and move on?

U only need a utility back when u dont have any versatile forwards. We have Fulton , Ellis and Flanagan who in a "pinch" could cover out wide. Fulton can also cover hooker and 5/8\. Therefore, the "need" for a back on the bench is in fact not needed.

and Sheens picks 1 front rower and 2 second rowers a lot more often than he picks 2 props on the bench. The guy doesnt even know what he does himself.

Only problem is, Moors as we know, is not a genuine front rower, he's potentially a damaging backrower being played out of position once again. Either way, the tactics employed in the use of the Wests Tigers bench is not the best.

Sheens and his selection and use of the bench is right up their with tne NSW labor Party's front bench–USELESS and INEFFECTUAL and has been for years

My thinking is that the use of the bench is now mostly about bringing on strike power and resting hard working forwards. You know, the 20 minute interchange etc, etc….
Trying to second guess who will get injured is why we have virtually unused bench players.

he said its normal to have 4 big boys on the bench though..

it just amazes me when u hear this stuff.

@sleet52 said:
11 Coaches spoke of how they use their bench. Sheens pretty much said that on your bench you should have a couple of front rowers, a utility forward and a utility back. He basically said that he puts a back on the bench because of the parra game last year when 2 wingers got injured.

"Two Props, 1 Backrower, 1 Utility Back"

I dont recall seeing this combination this year yet? When have we actually had a Utility Back on the Bench this year? He used Waters as a Hooker so he doesnt count. He has had Daniella, but he is a winger/centre, but doesnt possess Utility Value?

Does he not actually pick the team or something?

people have been complaining about the bench for ages, surely he's been using that bench combo longer than just since the Parra game…

in any case, wouldn't someone like Arana be of better value than say, Brown?

I don't at all agree with how Sheens uses the bench however I guess him being paranoid is due to injuries and at times his selections of having a back on the bench has been justified to some extent this year in more games than not.

@sleet52 said:

What a joke.

Luke Lewis is a utility back. Can play on the wing, in the centres, in the halves or in the back row.

Mitch Brown is a back. He offers no utility. He can play on the wing or at fullback.

Also I like how he refers to a situation when both his wingers got injured. Didn't he learn anything from the game Parramatta game when we started with Danny Galea in the front row and then he got injured and our forwards were steam rolled? I learned from that game the importance of having genuine forwards on the bench who can carry the team if they need to play long minutes. Seems that isn't happening…

@Colonel said:
@sleet52 said:

What a joke.

**Luke Lewis is a utility back. Can play on the wing, in the centres, in the halves or in the back row.**

Mitch Brown is a back. He offers no utility. He can play on the wing or at fullback.

Also I like how he refers to a situation when both his wingers got injured. Didn't he learn anything from the game Parramatta game when we started with Danny Galea in the front row and then he got injured and our forwards were steam rolled? I learned from that game the importance of having genuine forwards on the bench who can carry the team if they need to play long minutes. Seems that isn't happening…

No…not utility back, just utility.
No such thing as utility backs or utility forwards.

Back