Sheens rewarded as Tigers' cubs learn how to roar

shiretiger

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/sheens-rewarded-as-tigers-cubs-learn-how-to-roar-20100313-q55v.html
**Sheens rewarded as Tigers' cubs learn how to roar**
March 14, 2010

After four years of mediocrity, the rebuilding is over for Wests Tigers, writes Josh Rakic.

Like a well-loved HQ Kingswood with 300,000 kilometres on the clock, Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens is a hard one to get started. At first he simply refuses, then teases you for a few seconds before going quiet. But you pull the ''choke'' and slowly but surely he starts to warm up.

It helps when he has two of his closest friends, coaching partners Royce Simmons and Peter Gentle, in the room, too.

''It's not something I'm too happy to admit but our relationship actually goes back almost 30 years now,'' says Simmons, his trademark wry grin in full span as he eyes off the man simply referred to by staff and players alike as ''Coach''.

The nickname is an obvious indication of Sheens's old-school values, his longevity and status in the game, and the respect he commands from everyone from his staff to those lucky enough to steal a handshake from him - let alone a lone scribe sandwiched in between two of the game's modern greats.

In a cramped office wedged under the dated Concord Oval grandstand where you could picture Jack Gibson conjuring up one of his trademark one-liners, ''Coach'' could almost be accused of channelling the game's greatest mentor.

''If I disagree with something and Royce or Pete change my mind, that's fine,'' says the four-time premiership winner. ''If they don't, they'll deliver it they way I want them to deliver it. That's why they're still employed [laughs].''

"But seriously, we have a relationship, the three of us, and I think it works well. We're loyal to each other as staff. It's like players, you don't move someone on if they're doing a good job. You've got to find someone who's doing it a helluva lot better - and I haven't been able to get rid of a couple of blokes here … [laughs].''

At the Wests Tigers, however, it's been more of an issue trying to retain their existing people than headhunt others.

Sheens revealed to The Sun-Herald that for most of his eight-year tenure as Wests Tigers coach he has been restricted to spending just 80 per cent of the salary cap - and a fifth of the players in the top-25 squad are untried juniors.

"The real story will never be known by people - the fan and the media expert,'' Sheens said. ''They just judge what they see on the weekend and they don't see the issues and what the real issues are in the day-to-day running of a football club.

''It goes back to 2005, when he had a number of kids in our system that we'd paid out of our top budget. And we weren't allowed to spend to the limit of our top budget anyway - we didn't have the money.

"The salary cap was $3.6 million and we spent $3 million. And some of that three was spent on kids who weren't playing grade.

"And that's because the really bright ones we had to maintain in the system and we had to pay them money out of our top budget in our salary cap to keep them because we didn't have a budget outside of that.

''Again, because we didn't have the money, we lost young Ryan Hoffman to Melbourne for $70,000 or something relatively small because we didn't have the budget. We didn't have a second-tier budget.''

And while Sheens, Simmons and Gentle refuse to use it as an excuse, there's a strong correlation between the Tigers' lack of experience and premiership finishing positions since their 2005 grand-final upset.

''A lot of our money is spent on our kids, so whenever we've had injury to a key player we haven't had the experienced depth there as a result,'' Sheens says.

''We have never had a veteran to come in and fill in. Some clubs spend $1 million on second-tier alone. We've gone to the 19-year-old who's had one or two good games up in first-grade, but when you lose someone long term, for 10 or 12 weeks, you need a veteran and someone who can handle it. And we have never had that to draw on.

''This year is probably a little bit of an exception to it with Jason Cayless, Liam Fulton, Daniel Fitzhenry and Lote Tuqiri joining last year's squad. And with Farah, Marshall, Gibbs, Heighington and Fulton all approaching 25 years of age and around the 100-game mark, there's an expectation this year that this year has to be a fruition of the past four or five years. That's why we were so disappointed about the Roosters trial [loss] the other week. But I've been around too long to know that the shape of the ball, referees and injuries are the things that change a season.

''But technically, on paper, as a squad, we look OK and we certainly have more depth.

''With what happened last year and the way we finished, I think there's an expectation there.''

The Tigers' top-25 squad is made up of 15 junior products they've fostered in their Cubs or Toyota Cup program - the likes of Tim Moltzen, Chris Lawrence and Blake Ayshford now seasoned first-graders.
IN HIS OWN WORDS . . .
ON THE TIGERS

"We've always had in our top 25 probably five kids, as in apprentices or whatever. To hold them in full-time and keep them from going to other clubs, we've had to keep four or five in our top squad - which has impacted us a bit during the year because when we have injuries they've never been quite ready for first grade and we've not had a strong second tier - until this year. And that's been one of our Achilles heels.''

ON ROBBIE DEANS

"When I left the Cowboys I was looking at getting a job with New Zealand rugby and that's how I met Robbie. It wasn't a high-performance thing, just to coach coaches and dig the eyes out of rugby league and some of the things we did that they wanted to use. Robbie and I stayed in touch … when he got the job here, of course we struck the relationship up strongly again. But before that we would talk with him about coaching things when we were over there and he'd talk to us when he was over here. We talk and have a coffee occasionally.''

ON LOTE TUQIRI

"I did have a chat with Robbie about Lote. He's a pretty athletic guy, Lote, and he keeps himself in shape - he hasn't got [Wendell Sailor's] bucket arse [laughs]. And he's still been playing competitive football. It depends what shape he is in mentally - he hasn't played league for eight years. As a winger, if you give him the ball and there's a half a chance - it doesn't matter which code you're in - I think he's going to be good enough to score. I think it just comes down to defence and some of the language we have in our team that he won't understand. As a finisher, I don't think he'll have a problem.''

Good article and a offers a very small insight into Sheens mindset. Also shows how much the Tigers have struggled financially in recent years and it's great to see this slowly changing with sponsorship up, increased member numbers and more depth to the playing roster and some top junior talent coming through.

What I want to know is are we still not utilising the full salary cap? Or were they talking about past years?

@willow said:
Good article and a offers a very small insight into Sheens mindset. Also shows how much the Tigers have struggled financially in recent years and it's great to see this slowly changing with sponsorship up, increased member numbers and more depth to the playing roster and some top junior talent coming through.

That is very similar to what he said in July or august last year on 2SM. The thing is though that our last 3 CEO's have all said we are in great financial shape. So I am a bit confused. Who do you believe?

@Balmain Bug said:
@willow said:

That is very similar to what he said in July or august last year on 2SM. The thing is though that our last 3 CEO's have all said we are in great financial shape. So I am a bit confused. Who do you believe?

Well I think the CEO's meant that we were in good financial shape since we never spent into debt.

Considering Sheens was under these limitations, that just makes the premiership just so much more impressive!!

It sounds like we don't have those limits now. The extra $1mil sponsorships we are bringing in would get us to the top of the cap and some of the 2nd tier. Add that to more membership dollars, and we are hopefully at 100%. Unless the leagues clubs have reduced their grants and that has been included in revenue…

It's a timely reminder that us punters know far less about what it takes to make the Tigers successful than we think.

We are also getting such a stack of media attention leading into game 1, it is really good to see.

@jirskyr said:
It's a timely reminder that us punters know far less about what it takes to make the Tigers successful than we think.

We are also getting such a stack of media attention leading into game 1, it is really good to see.

I cannot agree more. We are all armchair critics and whilst we enjoy the debate as to the operation of our club, selecting teams, choosing jerseys, who to recruit etc. we actually have no idea as to what it takes to operate a club, coach the team, sign sponsors, recruit players and everything that comes along with operating a club in the most competitive sports market in the world, particuarly football market.

It is easy for us to say 'do this', or 'do that', 'should've done this' from the comfort of our computer desk chair. It is a credit to our club's staff and coaches that they give us the enjoyment of seeing our team run around each weekend. Sure we will win some and lose some, but at the end of the day we have a team to cheer for and each weekend for a couple of hours we leave the stress of our daily lives behind!

Well done Wests Tigers, and good luck Mr Sheens for the season ahead - we are behind you 110%!!!!!

It actually makes me realize how much this club could have easily been struggling like Cronulla if we didn't hire Sheens/Noyce when we did. With not being able to play on the same platform as the other clubs, they did well to even keep us around the top 8, build the finances, junior programs and completely reverse the reputation we gained during the Hoppa/Hill/Lamb days..

There was a bit in the article today about Sheens and Roycy even painting the gym themselves and scavenging around for equipment when they were first hired. Now that is dedication.

With this info, you can understand why Sheens was so upset when Longmuir came in with KPI's…

They need to resign him. The club and supporters owe Sheens that at the very least.

@hammertime said:
There was a bit in the article today about Sheens and Roycy even painting the gym themselves and scavenging around for equipment when they were first hired. Now that is dedication.

With this info, you can understand why Sheens was so upset when Longmuir came in with KPI's…

When you look at Fonz's pay packet, it is on par with the Prime Minister of Australia, you need to ask yourself is it really dedication??

Does picking the wrong players in the wrong positions and signing duds have anything to do with the budget?? :laughing:

**Australian Prime Minister Salary**
as of 1 July 2007
$330,300

**The Fonz's salary**
$350,000 +

Now does painting a Gym and picking the wrong players week after week look justifyable now ??

Dumb comparison. It is well-known the Prime Minister ship is well-under paid compared to what such persons could get in the private sector.

Regardless, whilst painting a gym might not be worthwhile, winning a premiership was.

Bug this truly is one of your crappiest posts ever.

The most disappointing thing is that the 2005 premiership should have started something big.

It should have gotten rid of the "losing mentality" altogether.

Since then:
2006 - Didn't make the finals
2007 - Didn't make the finals
2008 - Didn't make the finals
2009 - Didn't make the finals

Off the back of a premiership and with the talent we had, thats just plain unacceptable.

Blame injuries, blame whatever you like, the bottom line is we didn't have any depth in our squads because we were paying over's for some dead wood.

Sure, I never expected to win the competition or make grand finals every year after 2005, but to completely miss the play-offs the next 4 seasons in a competition where half the field qualifies is just plain pathetic.

I'm as big of a passionate Tigers' fan as they come but I don't live in a fools paradise like a lot of people on here… Too many people seem to accept failure and mediocrity as a given, I guess thats the culture this club has unfortunately developed.

@Zaibatsu said:
The most disappointing thing is that the 2005 premiership should have started something big.

Since then:

Off the back of a premiership and with the talent we had, thats just plain unacceptable.

Blame injuries, blame whatever you like, the bottom line is we didn't have any depth in our squads because we were paying over's for some dead wood.

Sure, I never expected to win the competition or make grand finals every year after 2005, but to completely miss the play-offs the next 4 seasons in a competition where half the field qualifies is just plain pathetic.

I'm as big of a passionate Tigers' fan as they come but I don't live in a fools paradise like a lot of people on here… Too many people seem to accept failure and mediocrity as a given, I guess thats the culture this club has unfortunately developed.

True.

@Balmain Bug said:
**Australian Prime Minister Salary**
as of 1 July 2007
$330,300

**The Fonz's salary**
$350,000 +

Now does painting a Gym and picking the wrong players week after week look justifyable now ??

Apples and Oranges.

Do we have to go into the long-term retirement benefits for the PM? The Lodge? Kirribilli House? The chefs, carers, house attendants?

It is farcical comparing Tim's salary/responsibility with that of the PM. Not really helping you prove a point.

@Zaibatsu said:

Since then:

Ok. You dont bother responding to the various posts people have posted articulated why, despite a lack of finals performances, they still support Sheens. Then you automatically suggest that these people accept medicocrity. You, sir, are the fool.

@southerntiger said:
@Zaibatsu said:

Since then:

Ok. You dont bother responding to the various posts people have posted articulated why, despite a lack of finals performances, they still support Sheens. Then you automatically suggest that these people accept medicocrity. You, sir, are the fool.

Nah mate, I just don't live with the "we won in 2005 so we should sit in the corner and be content and thankful that we even got that" mentality.

I guess some people just accept failure & loss as a given, perhaps its reflective of the rest of their life?

I suspect this may be the case with your good self.

Thats right mate :wink: I am a huge failure. I cant even bother responding to such gibberish that I would expect from an 8 yr old.

I looooooooouveeee Mediocraty….....

Wests Tigers Supporter.... :sign:

I predict now that 1 tiger Cub will win Man of the Match tonight.....Chris Lawrence.....

@southerntiger said:
Thats right mate :wink: I am a huge failure.

Finally we agree :slight_smile:

Your the one that lashed out calling me a fool because of my opinion…

You know, glass houses and all that... :unamused:

Latest posts

Members online

Back