Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

@blake said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373440) said:
@jc99 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373427) said:
@blake said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373416) said:
@jc99 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373402) said:
Hynes is good but where would we play him? We have a fullback, we have a 5/8 and he's not a halfback.... he'd be an excellent 14 but he's not leaving storm to be a utility. (Yes I think Doueihi is our long term 6 and Laurie our long term fullback)

I like Laurie and he has been one of our best but I think right now Hynes is the better fullback. Hynes is far more confident and is always on around the ball which would be a huge boost to our current spine/gameplan/structure.
Having Laurie as a bench utility and a backup fullback/half would be great and still give him the opportunity to develop. Having them compete with each other would be good for everyone.

1 Hynes
6 Doueihi (only needs some minor adjustments)
7 Brooks
9 Liddle
14 Laurie

Laurie is a future star and we should bench him for 3 years? That does nothing for his development at all, what position would he play off the bench?

Best way for him to develop is to keep playing, he's a good player and will continue to get better. Bench him for 3 years and he'll be gone pretty quickly. Fullback is not an issue in our team, our edges are and that's where we need to focus our recruitment not on positions we've already got sorted

Give me Tupou, Morris x2, TPJ and isaako over hynes any day. Makes our team stronger overall

Laurie may become a star, he may not. Giving Laurie 20 min off teh bench like Storm did with Hughes, Paps and Hynes seems like development. Play him as a loose forward just playing in support or play him as dummy half, but there will be injuries.

Hynes is closer to being a star right now.

He's done absolutely nothing to deserve being demoted to the bench, he's played well every single week. Fullback really isn't an area of concern for us, Laurie is a talent

@sleeve said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373446) said:
@newtown said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373396) said:
@tony-soprano said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373368) said:
@bones said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373361) said:
@weststigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373349) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373278) said:
@weststigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373270) said:
Why is everyone thinking that Gildart is a walk up starter?

He is depth at this stage.

We’re not really brimming with quality centres.

Add Gildart to that pile...hope he kills it tbh, but I doubt we've uncovered a superstar there.

Every time Talau has played centre, he's gone well. Unfortunately, he's judged on his wing performances which are rocks and diamonds. I think he'll go well at centre this week.

I'm interested to see how Roberts goes on the wing too. He certainly has the speed. Hands might be an issue as well as under the high ball. Time will tell.

The problem I have with Talau is the things that make him an average winger, like his tendency for handling errors, aren’t going to suddenly go away just because he shifts 1 man in.

I hope he proves me wrong and takes the opportunity.

He’s issue is his school boy plays such as around the back flick pass to the opposing team to score, dropping the ball constantly, or in defence rushing for an intercept missing it and attacking team scores or instead of tackling Mitchell try a reverse tap back for Mitchell to get out of goal and score that same set. The list goes on for this..... really shows how much the club has no clue. Gets promoted to centre ? Where’s the I’m done thread

But Benji said he was the next big thing,

He said the same about TT,

And AJ

@dwight-schrute said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373405) said:
Hynes is good but where would we play him? We have a fullback, we have a 5/8 and he's not a halfback.... he'd be an excellent 14 but he's not leaving storm to be a utility.

Wherever he wants . At this stage he's a more complete footballer than our7, 6, and 1.
Last week he carried his team on his back.
Seen any of ours do that lately?

Laurie is our only player that plays to the NRL standard, and you want to play him around like everything else can wait??

@camel2281 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373274) said:
@jai_donaldson said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373232) said:
A good mate of mine is Hynes' cousin and advised he's very unlikely to end up at Broncos despite all the media speculation about them being the front runners. Apparently after magic round he met with Kevvy and Kevvy completely dropped the ball trying to entice him to join.

Hynes asked Kevvy "If I join Broncos where do you see me in 5 years and what type of footballer can you help me become?" Kevvy apparently replied "Um ahhh I dunno tbh".

I see that question from Hynes showing a person with a level of drive, character and intelligence that I don't think we have enough of. The concern wasn't "How much cash" it seems he's more worried about being the best player he can be. Sign of a winner in my book

Needs more podcast....

@tigerballs said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373353) said:
@jai_donaldson said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373241) said:
@aj1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373238) said:
Hynes asked Kevvy "If I join Broncos where do you see me in 5 years and what type of footballer can you help me become?" Kevvy apparently replied "Um ahhh I dunno tbh".

Doesn't surprise me. I've never rated Kevvy as a coach. Anyone could have coached that Maroons team to success which is why he looks so out of his depth at the Broncos

Apparently he came across as real nuff that offered no insight into the clubs direction and how Hynes could help them get there.

That’s strange because Adam Reynolds has the opposite view.

Different ends of their career. If Reynolds asked wistfully..."where do you see me in 5 years"... it would be a simple answer.

@dwight-schrute said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373372) said:
@tigerballs said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373353) said:
@jai_donaldson said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373241) said:
@aj1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373238) said:

Doesn't surprise me. I've never rated Kevvy as a coach. Anyone could have coached that Maroons team to success which is why he looks so out of his depth at the Broncos

Apparently he came across as real nuff that offered no insight into the clubs direction and how Hynes could help them get there.

That’s strange because Adam Reynolds has the opposite view.

Here's a lesson on idiots.
When an idiot is speaking to another idiot everything the idiot says will make perfect sense.

It requires a non idiot to identify idiocy.

You're welcome.

That makes perfect sense

@cairnstigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373428) said:
@pawsandclaws1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373408) said:
@dwight-schrute said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373400) said:
@pawsandclaws1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373397) said:
@camel2281 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373381) said:
@pawsandclaws1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373364) said:
@coastie_tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373357) said:
If we do end up letting Brooks go to the Raiders i hope we are balls deep in on Hynes say 1 or 6 the rest depends on you. He gets the 1 Laurie goes to 6 but personally for me i would leave Laurie at 1 and use Hynes at 6 Hastings 7 Doueihi can stay at 3 Bj can head back to Oporto.

Those three players are slow. Where is the spark to come from?

Mate Hynes is not slow. Watch Melbourne's game last week. The amount of times he beats blokes to go through the line is unbelievable. His top end over say 70m might not be top end but he has great acceleration

He's no speedster. You want us to have the slowest halves combination in the NRL?

Another one of those players that are fast enough and good enough for Melbourne but not good enough by a long chalk to play for the incredibly successful Tigers.

All well and good if you have Papenhuyzen, JAC and Hughes in your backline. We don't do speed at WTs except for Brooks and Laurie.

Addo carr did nothing last week
Papenhuyzen and Hughes didn't even play

And Hynes still killed it
He is currently a significant upgrade on many of our players and including Brooks IMO
Brooks could become the next Ben Hunt to accommodate him
And why not
Brooks can tackle, he can pass and he can run from Dummy half
Will Hynes still be this good or better in the coming weeks months and years
That is the ?
![Screenshot_20210526-192754_Samsung Internet.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1622021469114-screenshot_20210526-192754_samsung-internet.jpg)

I should add that I don't think Liddle will be here next year
Unless he is cheap
But he will be chasing the $
Some how I don't think we will give him what he wants
But other clubs will
Just a hunch

Which of those stats is supposed to impress? Run metres? He is fullback in the winning team, that is not such a surprising stat.

@wt2k said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373392) said:
courier mail saying Hynes is seeking a 3 year deal worth around $1m.

That is super cheap, don't tell him that.

I'd be prepared to go to 1.5 at least.

@inbenjiwetrust said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373453) said:
@dwight-schrute said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373405) said:
Hynes is good but where would we play him? We have a fullback, we have a 5/8 and he's not a halfback.... he'd be an excellent 14 but he's not leaving storm to be a utility.

Wherever he wants . At this stage he's a more complete footballer than our7, 6, and 1.
Last week he carried his team on his back.
Seen any of ours do that lately?

Laurie is our only player that plays to the NRL standard, and you want to play him around like everything else can wait??

He is not our best player, he has skills, make very few mistakes and puts in 100% effort but I think Hynes at fullback would improve the team a lot. The best bit is we keep both, in 12 months they could both be stars and both be in the spine. This would be a tough call on Laurie but clubs have to make tough decisions. I think that even if Laurie turns out to be a star in the future, he is currently a long way behind Paps, Tedesco or Turbo.

@camel2281 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373376) said:
@jirskyr said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373306) said:
@camel2281 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373274) said:
A good mate of mine is Hynes' cousin and advised he's very unlikely to end up at Broncos despite all the media speculation about them being the front runners. Apparently after magic round he met with Kevvy and Kevvy completely dropped the ball trying to entice him to join.

I see that question from Hynes showing a person with a level of drive, character and intelligence that I don't think we have enough of. The concern wasn't "How much cash" it seems he's more worried about being the best player he can be. Sign of a winner in my book

I'm sorry but almost everyone asks questions like that, he may have even been spoon-fed by his manager. It's hearsay from this thread and parctically meaningless about the real-life Nicho Hynes.

I guarantee you that most league players would not ask those questions. If they did Kevvie would have a stock answer

You guarantee me huh? Most league players? Righto

Literally just skimming throw hoping to see those wonderful words pop up
The_pom

@finnzo said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373486) said:
The_pom

Usually pops up on a Friday

The_pom

Here is a link that you could bookmark to see all his posts with the latest at the top.

https://weststigersforum.com/user/the_pom/posts

@blake said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373493) said:
The_pom

Here is a link that you could bookmark to see all his posts with the latest at the top.

https://weststigersforum.com/user/the_pom/posts

Cheers mate

@tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373467) said:
If we do end up letting Brooks go to the Raiders i hope we are balls deep in on Hynes say 1 or 6 the rest depends on you. He gets the 1 Laurie goes to 6 but personally for me i would leave Laurie at 1 and use Hynes at 6 Hastings 7 Doueihi can stay at 3 Bj can head back to Oporto.

Mate Hynes is not slow. Watch Melbourne's game last week. The amount of times he beats blokes to go through the line is unbelievable. His top end over say 70m might not be top end but he has great acceleration

He's no speedster. You want us to have the slowest halves combination in the NRL?

Another one of those players that are fast enough and good enough for Melbourne but not good enough by a long chalk to play for the incredibly successful Tigers.

All well and good if you have Papenhuyzen, JAC and Hughes in your backline. We don't do speed at WTs except for Brooks and Laurie.

He is currently a significant upgrade on many of our players and including Brooks IMO
And why not
That is the ?
![Screenshot_20210526-192754_Samsung Internet.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1622021469114-screenshot_20210526-192754_samsung-internet.jpg)

Unless he is cheap
But other clubs will
Just a hunch

Which of those stats is supposed to impress? Run metres? He is fullback in the winning team, that is not such a surprising stat.

Considering he picked up 138 points in his SC score which is 32 points more then his closest team mate Brandon Smith is is impressive enough

This guy is standing up in a team missing two of its main stars
Isn't that good enough for our team
Who in our team can stand up and perform like that

@cairnstigers said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373522) said:

And why not
That is the ?

Unless he is cheap
But other clubs will
Just a hunch

Considering he picked up 138 points in his SC score which is 32 points more then his closest team mate Brandon Smith is is impressive enough

This guy is standing up in a team missing two of its main stars

OK....SC. Im not going to get into SC.

He is a good player, in a good system, with good players and a great coach.

And why not
That is the ?

Unless he is cheap
But other clubs will
Just a hunch

This guy is **standing up in a team missing two of its main stars**

This guy "stood up" in a team missing two of its main stars?.

He "stood up" in a team containing Justin Olam, JAC, Jahrome Hughes, Jesse Bromwich, Brandon Smith, Christian Welch, Felise Kaufusi, Dale Finucane.

He "stood up" in a team that had Nelson Asofa Solomona....*on the bench.*

EVERYONE in our team would kill to "stand up" in a team like that.

@hobbo1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1364456) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1364428) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1364422) said:
@bagnf05 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1364418) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1364392) said:
@bagnf05 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1364382) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1364375) said:
@bagnf05 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1364371) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1364368) said:
@bagnf05 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1364366) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1364365) said:
@bagnf05 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1364362) said:
@cochise said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1364353) said:
@bagnf05 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1364343) said:
@tigerwest said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1364172) said:
Still waiting to see what 2 players they are going to sign for the rest of the year?

It’s not as if we are travelling that well to wait for deadlines.

100% this. Playing at a handicap when you’ve been worse than average since Britney Spears was big. Just shows how much we struggle with recruitment

Most sides keep a spot or 2 open in case someone comes on the market.

I understand that but I’m still of the opinion that we shouldn’t as our roster isn’t great. We haven’t been able to grab a marquee signing and we’re just hoping one falls in our lap. It’s reactive.

We have been far from reactive with recruitment in the last 12 months, you would be the 1st to bag the club if a superstar was released and we missed out because we didn't have a spare roster position.

That wouldn’t be the reason we’d miss out.

We are looking at some players stuck behind others at other clubs and a few targeted players but the most likely outcome is upgrading some lower tier players and freeing up money for next year.

I like the Gildart approach. It’s proactive and it’s not sitting around waiting and hoping. More of that please.

Laurie, Hastings, Stefano, Kei, Aloiai and many other were incredibly proactive recruitment decisions for this club.

You’re talking about gambling on unproven ability, I’m Talking about plugging yawning holes in our roster

No I am talking about making educated recruitment decisions, you rebuild your roster by making smart junior recruitment decisions which is what we have been doing.

I’ll still be whinging 2031 if we don’t give them some more decent leaders to learn from.

Tamou and Joffa were signings in that vein, we are looking at Gagai and others to fulfil that role.

To be honest the only person I’ve seen with real leadership qualities is Doueihi.

Happy to be proven wrong but I don’t understand going after Gagai.

Madge loves him and you will too ?

Loved Gagai the other day when JAC scored 6 tries down his side.

Priceless.

@bula said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373511) said:
@jc99 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373507) said:
@bula said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373504) said:
@bagnf05 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373418) said:
@geo said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373414) said:
@dwight-schrute said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373413) said:
I'm convinced the second coming of J.C. with the ability of Meninga, Raper, Thurston and Cam Smith wrapped into one could be available to us for $25 a season and people on this forum wouldn't want him.

Can't kick goals..

Jesus wasn’t that quick off the mark either

Hard to run in sandals.

He's really well suited to wet weather footy though

Couldn't catch unless it him him on the chest. It was like he had holes in his hands.

Wow ?

@tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1373527) said:

And why not
That is the ?

Unless he is cheap
But other clubs will
Just a hunch

This guy is **standing up in a team missing two of its main stars**

This guy "stood up" in a team missing two of its main stars?.

He "stood up" in a team containing Justin Olam, JAC, Jahrome Hughes, Jesse Bromwich, Brandon Smith, Christian Welch, Felise Kaufusi, Dale Finucane.

He "stood up" in a team that had Nelson Asofa Solomona....*on the bench.*

EVERYONE in our team would kill to "stand up" in a team like that.

I think that’s the point that’s missed quite a bit. Our roster is so far off the top teams. We get down when we get beat by the lesser teams but looking at our players, we’re probably just playing to the ability of the group. We’ve got a few players who go quite well, some who go okay sometimes whereas the good teams have full squads of seasoned, consistent professionals. A player like Nicho Hines walks into that environment and it’s no surprise he plays well. Would he here? Not sure.

Latest posts

Members online

Back